Drain Holes

dpg123

Hello,

I'm sure this has been covered numerous times, but I can't find what I'm looking for exactly when I search...

We have unbelievable rain a couple of days ago. The insode of my car has remained dry up until that point, now I have a slightly damp floor (not flooded, but not totally dry).

What is the most effective way of clearing the drain holes under the hood? Compressed air of a trombone cleaner? Any recommended products if it's the latter? Any tips?

Thanks!

I use a trombone cleaning brush on mine (987 but I doubt that matters) - I go in from the top https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00TE7Z442/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The 987.2 has some "filters" that fit in the tray - I know they fit a 987.1 and I think they will also fit the 986's - not much money from opc (like about 7 quid each inc vat ) and better than nothing - picture/part number here https://parr-uk.co.uk/product/porsche-boxster-drain-hole-filter - but likely available from other places.

Dont forget you have drain holes at the front too, by the battery. Check the foam liner under the clanshell is undamaged, so without leaks. There is a diagram online for the location of all drain holes on 986/987.

I have always used a camelback cleaner. Basically a flexible wire with a small brush attached to the end

18 hours ago, dpg123 said:

Hello,

I'm sure this has been covered numerous times, but I can't find what I'm looking for exactly when I search...

We have unbelievable rain a couple of days ago. The insode of my car has remained dry up until that point, now I have a slightly damp floor (not flooded, but not totally dry).

What is the most effective way of clearing the drain holes under the hood? Compressed air of a trombone cleaner? Any recommended products if it's the latter? Any tips?

Thanks!

I understand your fixation with the drain holes but maybe its the seals around the windows or the door membrances!-both common issues.

It may not feel too wet but I bet the sound deadening foam under the carpet is soaked.  I would be looking at taking seat out to lift carpet to get fully dry.  The foam in mine was soaked so I decided to remove rather than dry out and have replaced with new foam once the carpet  dried.  I also used some silicant to seal stop water getting to the ecu.  Not a big job just disconnect battery before you start.

I was going through a similar "fumbling around for the hole" dilemma the other day, an experience i haven't had since my teenage years.

I got myself a trombone cleaner, flipped the roof open by maybe 15cm or so, which then opens up the clamshell. If youget your head at just the right angle you can see the holes but they're hard to get to. Feed the cleaner down but also put your other arm under the clam and feed it in from up close. Just pushing it down from above the clamshell was meaning that the cleaner was just bending, but feeding it in from immediately above the hole helped get it through.

Similar story at the front; pop the bonnet and remove the covers in the corners. Towards the battery you can see the drain holes, but again, you can't just poke it in from a distance, get your arm in among the air con pipes and push it in.

From memory (google this, i have a rubbish memory) there's just 2 drains behind the seats but 3 or 4 up front.

Of course, as has been mentioned, it might be something else, see if the carpet on the lower part of the door is wet, it could be coming in there.

Thanks to all for the replies! My trombone cleaner arrives today and I'm looking forward to getting stuck in there, trying to find the holes.But that's a separate issue.

I'll also be trying to clear the drain holes and checking the doors for signs of damp. I hope it's just the drains.

7 hours ago, dpg123 said:

Thanks to all for the replies! My trombone cleaner arrives today and I'm looking forward to getting stuck in there, trying to find the holes.But that's a separate issue.

I'll also be trying to clear the drain holes and checking the doors for signs of damp. I hope it's just the drains.

https://sites.google.com/site/mikefocke2/drainsdiagram

our very own @mikefocke explains all here  :)

Hi. I've ordered a trombone brush which should arrive today. Couples of questions:

Are the drain holes etc in the same place on the 987.1 as they are on the 986?

Is there a 'complete idiots' guide to how to use this brush as I'm pretty clueless with cars and basically anything mechanical?

Is there anyone in Nottingham, or close to Nottingham, that would be able to help me do this so I can put my mind at rest?

Many thanks.

3 hours ago, Wolfbagger said:

Hi. I've ordered a trombone brush which should arrive today. Couples of questions:

Is there a 'complete idiots' guide to how to use this brush as I'm pretty clueless with cars and basically anything mechanical?

Is there anyone in Nottingham, or close to Nottingham, that would be able to help me do this so I can put my mind at rest?

Many thanks.

If you can't use the brush then you need to sell your car, even just adjusting the seats is more complicated than the trombone cleaner. Seriously, you'll be fine. I can't help with the drain locations on a 987, maybe somebody who's had both will be along shortly.

9 hours ago, Wolfbagger said:

Many thanks.

Was doing this job today, problem I had was dropping the rubber grommet in the drain hole, getting it out was a pain in the ass job, getting it back in with the pipe was near impossible, at one point I had the grommet in place but couldn't get the pipe in then the grommet fell again and decided to call it a day. Will have to get someone else to do it as its too much of a faff around! 

Don't plan on driving the car much in rain right now tbh so shouldn't be too bad to wait for it to go in.

I would only use a brush or similar if they are completely blocked. 

Never had to do this on my car, which gets left outside all year round, though I do check the pan for leaves etc, and chuck down some warm water every now and again to make sure it doesn't back up. 

On 10/22/2019 at 8:21 PM, LorenzoUK said:

I got myself a trombone cleaner, flipped the roof open by maybe 15cm or so, which then opens up the clamshell. If youget your head at just the right angle you can see the holes but they're hard to get to.

Its a lot easier if you put the roof in the service position on the 986/987 instructions are available online, maybe even in the cars handbook!

13 hours ago, GmanB said:

@GmanB thanks for this. I had seen the above post when doing a search but the trouble is when I view it the photos are all blurred slightly so I can't see the exact location of the drain holes.

Does anyone know a) how many drain holes there are on the 987.1??  and b) where the boggers are ?!!

Many thanks.

1 hour ago, Wolfbagger said:

@GmanB thanks for this. I had seen the above post when doing a search but the trouble is when I view it the photos are all blurred slightly so I can't see the exact location of the drain holes.

Does anyone know a) how many drain holes there are on the 987.1??  and b) where the boggers are ?!!

Many thanks.

3 in the front iirc (just take off the plastc trim under the frunk lid and have a shufti). I thought 2 at the back but looking at that old post maybe 4 - stick the roof in service mode and have a look.

3 minutes ago, red rocket said:

3 in the front iirc (just take off the plastc trim under the frunk lid and have a shufti). I thought 2 at the back but looking at that old post maybe 4 - stick the roof in service mode and have a look.

Yes 3 in the front and 4 in the back.

My 2003 s drain holes by the Battery seem to have Grommets that tapper to a slot, and they do not appear to have a tube connected to them from the underside. Anyone else noticed this on theirs. I seem to remember reading something about 911,s of a particular year onwards changing to this method, possibly 986 too ?

I've just ordered a trombone snake brush from ebay, which looks very similar to the Amazon one.  Link here if anyone is interested:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Trombone-Snake-Brush-Double-Ended-Wire-Brush/351741938341?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

The description says "ALSO SUITABLE FOR DRAIN HOLES ON MAZDA MX5 'S" so I think it will be fine.

Not even got the car yet, collecting it on Tuesday, but better to be prepared I reckon :lol:

Archived