What have you done to your 981 today?

T24RES

55 minutes ago, Lonewolfgjp said:

After much deliberation I decided to remove the GT4 side scoops and go back to oem with a bit of mesh.

But before I get to the mesh I need to repair the holes in the original side vent. I had originally thought I would just buy new if I changed my mind but that was until I saw the price 😂

52768013137_1d53fb6835_b.jpg

One all repaired and ready to fit and one ready for the repair treatment 😎

Why what was putting you off?

29 minutes ago, daz05 said:

Umm I think they look good from certain angles and a bit awkward from others. It is the same on the GT4 but I think with the wing and the fact it is a GT4 you can sort of forgive them.

The angle I see them from the most when it is parked in the garage is a solid no also I think my white car needs the black vents to brake up the side.

I was out in it on Sunday and walking back to it on the carpark I thought they have got to go 👍

36 minutes ago, daz05 said:

Just put a headlight in the oven to help set the sealant 🤣

I noticed there is a guy on eBay who modifies these lights and fits all black inserts etc😎

56 minutes ago, Lonewolfgjp said:

Umm I think they look good from certain angles and a bit awkward from others. It is the same on the GT4 but I think with the wing and the fact it is a GT4 you can sort of forgive them.

The angle I see them from the most when it is parked in the garage is a solid no also I think my white car needs the black vents to brake up the side.

I was out in it on Sunday and walking back to it on the carpark I thought they have got to go 👍

I noticed there is a guy on eBay who modifies these lights and fits all black inserts etc😎

I was very unsure when I first fitted my scoops but I’ve gone the other way and now really like them. Aesthetic mods are always just personal preference.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lonewolfgjp said:

Fair enough, yes they are asking £750 per pair and your old headlights part ex in return which is a bit steep, although considering the time and effort involved it's probably not so unreasonable, especially if the old ones are broken.

I picked up two very broken ones and thought I would have a go. Turned out really well. I'll try and sell the originals perhaps.

Edited by daz05

23 hours ago, andygo said:

I like the sound of the wheel bolt conversion...

Spill the beans!

Will do - when I find them. DPD, as usual, were too lazy to nock on a neigbour two doors down to deliver, so I now have to work out how to collect from Homebase the other side of town.

I'll post up when I've fitted them, prob over Easter.

On 3/24/2023 at 7:35 PM, daz05 said:

Just finishing of removing the scoops and refinishing the oem trims. I trimmed and fitted a bit of mesh.

52772012972_e0cf393a5c_b.jpg

I’m quite happy with the results and saved a few quid replacing them.

52772545116_a66dc90c1b_b.jpg

This one of the angles where the GT4 scoops look awkward.

52773028653_737fd9cbab_b.jpg

Nice to have that oem black vent back to break up the white 👍

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Lonewolfgjp said:

Just finishing of removing the scoops and refinishing the oem trims. I trimmed and fitted a bit of mesh.

52772012972_e0cf393a5c_b.jpg

I’m quite happy with the results and saved a few quid replacing them.

52772545116_a66dc90c1b_b.jpg

This one of the angles where the GT4 scoops look awkward.

52773028653_737fd9cbab_b.jpg

Nice to have that oem black vent back to break up the white 👍

Looks good.

On 3/24/2023 at 7:35 PM, daz05 said:

You got skills chap.  Impressive repair and paint.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that isn't sure about the GT4 vents.  At some angles they look good, at others they look fake. And yet there is also the nagging feeling they may bring in more air to the engine...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Patt said:

You got skills chap.  Impressive repair and paint.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that isn't sure about the GT4 vents.  At some angles they look good, at others they look fake. And yet there is also the nagging feeling they may bring in more air to the engine...

My repair skills are alright but it's Gareth for painting, I sent mine to the painter but probably could have done it.

Not really car washing weather today, but I just had to clean the wheels and tyres after having the new Goodyears fitted a couple of days ago. It always annoys me when they leave the tyre soap goo stuff on them, but I guess they haven't got time to clean 'em up, they're obviously too busy making a profit (how dare they! 😂). 

I just sprayed some diluted washing up liquid on them and left it for a few mins, then scrubbed them with a spikey alloy wheel brush and rinsed with a hose, which seems to have worked OK.  I will need to have another go at them to get rid of some residue from the old balancing weights on the inside surfaces, but they look much better now anyway.  I noticed the wheel centre badges hadn't been put back in the correct position, so I need to get the logos pointing towards the valves, but I'll save that for another day ☺️