P159EGM Press Boxster

Senna

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=p159+egm&prmd=sinv&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwi_vv6O4rjmAhXTT8AKHUZRCVoQ_AUoAnoECA0QAg&biw=375&bih=553&dpr=2

hello I am the proud owner of two press release Boxster’s. P159EGM and P168EGM.

P168EGM actually has a much earlier chassis number and is the oldest Right hand Drive boxster and the first imported into the UK.

P159EGM is slightly more famous. 

Did you want a congratulations??? I’m a proud owner of 2 Porsche’s too, neither are Boxsters that have been ragged by the press ;) 

Nothing like a nice new member saying hello, where they are from, background and it’s nice to be here etc... ahhh yep, that’s nothing like an introduction 😂

3 hours ago, r1flyguy said:

Did you want a congratulations??? I’m a proud owner of 2 Porsche’s too, neither are Boxsters that have been ragged by the press ;) 

Nothing like a nice new member saying hello, where they are from, background and it’s nice to be here etc... ahhh yep, that’s nothing like an introduction 😂

Yep you are correct.

3 hours ago, r1flyguy said:

Well My Name is Chris.

In 1997 I was one of the “journalists” that drove P159EGM for Car Magazine with John Simister and Hilton Holloway.

We were comparing the new Boxster to the 914. (March 1997 Car)

So I knew quite a bit about my car. It wasn’t meant to be the actual press car, however it had been snowing in Jan 1997 and it was felt that P159EGM would be the better example for some reason. 

What a day that photo shoot was 😀. I was at university at the time and I couldn’t believe my luck. I was the university press reviewer back then. 

I have some amazing photos of the day. (No smart phones back then).

Anyway. I searched long and hard to buy back what is probably the most famous Boxster in the UK. At least it’s one of the earliest and essentially the car that saved Porsche.

During my quest I found P168EGM. Which is the oldest UK car and about 6 months later a lead told me about P159EGM.

So I bought them as a collection of the oldest and a representation of the Genesis of the Boxster.

Yep. Maybe they have been ragged by journalists, Even I ragged it back then. Who cares? That’s what they were designed for and knowing that they were well maintained by the UK Porsche press department was good enough for me.

I mean many cars that are coveted have been “ragged” or raced or have an interesting history. Personally I would rather own Ayrton Senna’s 190E 2.3-16 then my perfect example.

Nice story, welcome 😎

Some of the aforementioned photos would be interesting to see... 

If you fancy meeting up at any of our gatherings  with one or other of your cars - for example Beaulieu Simply Porsche - keep an eye on the Events section of the forum. 

Welcome Chris, good forum this. The life of those two cars might be an interesting tale to tell. Is that something you want to share here,  or might it make a nice little book or article. Anyway whatever, enjoy the cars and BoXnet 👍Would love to see them some day btw. 

6 hours ago, r1flyguy said:

You miserable git. :lol: 

@Senna I'm glad you found us here.  I mentioned to you about this place when you were trying to swap your 19" wheels for standard 17s.  Did they go?

By all means post up parts of your original article here.  It will probably cause a flood of 986 owners trying to find a copy of the original on eBay... :)

1 minute ago, Araf said:

I am 😂

The initial post was likened to a Instagram narcissist, only thing missing was a scantily clad woman looking for freebies and sponsors! 
Hardly a glowing intro from a ‘journalist’ who are supposed to be able to write :guitar: 

14 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

R1's just irritated that there was no scantily clad woman :)

Damn! Found out! 😂

1 hour ago, Araf said:

@Senna I'm glad you found us here.  I mentioned to you about this place when you were trying to swap your 19" wheels for standard 17s.  Did they go?

By all means post up parts of your original article here.  It will probably cause a flood of 986 owners trying to find a copy of the original on eBay... :)

Thank you! 

I would love to swap those 19" back to the original 17". (and the halogen lights/the clear lights and LED rears)

So far not had much luck and I still don't know how to post in the for sale/wanted columns.

I will have lots more photos but I can't get them to upload :(

3 hours ago, Topbox said:

Welcome Chris, good forum this. The life of those two cars might be an interesting tale to tell. Is that something you want to share here,  or might it make a nice little book or article. Anyway whatever, enjoy the cars and BoXnet 👍Would love to see them some day btw. 

Definitely. I will learn to upload photos and then I will take a few photos to show everyone. I have the original press packs and a lot of the magazines of the time. 

P159EGM awaits an MOT this week and I will update the forum.

See you soon and at some Surrey Meets 

17 minutes ago, Senna said:

Definitely. I will learn to upload photos and then I will take a few photos to show everyone. I have the original press packs and a lot of the magazines of the time. 

P159EGM awaits an MOT this week and I will update the forum.

See you soon and at some Surrey Meets 

Cool.

You need host photos externally and embed them here, most tend to use FLickr and Imgur, I've also use Dropbox to do the same.  Shout if you can't get it working...

This is one meet you need to try and make as the largest event of the year - 

Register at https://www.beaulieu.co.uk/events/simply-porsche/

34 minutes ago, Senna said:

Thank you! 

I would love to swap those 19" back to the original 17". (and the halogen lights/the clear lights and LED rears)

So far not had much luck and I still don't know how to post in the for sale/wanted columns.

There's a minimum 40 post rule for classifieds, but as it was me suggesting that someone here might be interested in 19" wheels as a straight swap for their standard 17s, if you post an advert in this forum, I'll copy it across to the classifieds for you, to get around the 40 post rule.  Anyone interested can then message you directly about the bits.  :)

10 hours ago, r1flyguy said:

Errrrm ok!

13 minutes ago, jonogt6 said:

Errrrm ok!

Errrrrrm Ermmmmm Ermmmmmm!!!

6 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

Careful, JohnK may report you for that also!

I can justify it.  The OP is looking to swap a set of 19" wheels with tyres, for a set of 17s with tyres with no money changing hands.  That's got to be better than the chancers who come on here to try and flog stuff at inflated prices. :)

10 hours ago, Senna said:

Thank you! 

Me in 1997 

49229770648_769706c29a_b.jpg49229770533_e3e93aabe5_b.jpg

49230236291_09bcdeccc9_b.jpg49230461382_c6b1e0643b_b.jpgEGM

Archived