Battery Charging

Kev62

Hi all

I have just purchased a Noco Genius 2 battery charger maintainer for use over the winter the Device works great when I connect to the battery with the croc clips but bit  of a faff having to keep opening the bonnet and removing the plastic cover. Does anyone know if it’s safe to connect the charger into the 12v cig socket??

37 minutes ago, Kev62 said:

Hi all

I have just purchased a Noco Genius 2 battery charger maintainer for use over the winter the Device works great when I connect to the battery with the croc clips but bit  of a faff having to keep opening the bonnet and removing the plastic cover. Does anyone know if it’s safe to connect the charger into the 12v cig socket??

I plug the CTEK MXS 5.0 into the cig lighter. Have added hard wired connections to the battery and brought it out near windscreen scuttle if the battery were ever to suddenly fail. At least able to get some power to pop the frunk. 

Your lidl version should be able to use the cig lighter

Some 981 owners have had problems but I plug my battery charger into the socket in the centre box. The trick is to connect up and then turn the car off. This,  for mine, seems to keep this socket live. 

I've put my charger with crocodile clips onto the correct mounts under the bonnet and then closed the bonnet. You need to completely remove the big plastic cover obviously. The mains lead for the charger needs to exit so I pinch it at the corner of the bonnet away from the catch. Right at the front corner. Works fine.

2 hours ago, Kev62 said:

Does anyone know why you can’t connect the charger direct to the battery terminals?

cheers

Kev

I believe it’s like a lot of modern cars that use intelligent battery detection, if your direct to battery the system can’t monitor load draws or charges, if you use earth ground all interactions go through the system. ....

• 2 weeks later...

Just stumbled across a solution to the front boot light staying on when the hood is open for charging. If you press lock on the key fob when the hood is open it turns the light out. 

On 12/24/2019 at 11:22 AM, Kev62 said:

Does anyone know why you can’t connect the charger direct to the battery terminals?

cheers

Kev

My understanding was it was for safety reasons. 

When charging an explosive gas is given off and it is possible when disconnecting the charger to create a spark and ignite it hence you connect the negative to an earth point AWAY from the danger area. 

There are many mitigating circumstances such as CTEK DO NOT CREATE A SPARK to name but one. 

57 minutes ago, Kev62 said:

Just stumbled across a solution to the front boot light staying on when the hood is open for charging. If you press lock on the key fob when the hood is open it turns the light out. 

Our frunk lights went out by itself after a while, that's a 986 so I imagine the newer models are similar. 

2 hours ago, EXY said:

My understanding was it was for safety reasons. 

When charging an explosive gas is given off and it is possible when disconnecting the charger to create a spark and ignite it hence you connect the negative to an earth point AWAY from the danger area. 

There are many mitigating circumstances such as CTEK DO NOT CREATE A SPARK to name but one. 

But the approved +ve connection point is the battery terminal which can still spark when making the contact.  I believe that the correct answer is as @zagamuffin says.

2 hours ago, EXY said:

Our frunk lights went out by itself after a while, that's a 986 so I imagine the newer models are similar. 

Not on my 98 986, it stays on until the frunk is latched.  Porsche has constantly messed about with the design over the years.

50 minutes ago, topradio said:

But the approved +ve connection point is the battery terminal which can still spark when making the contact.  I believe that the correct answer is as @zagamuffin says.

The amount of hydrogen given off while charging is negligible so not really an issue , it’s also not a sealed space so no risk ...

21 hours ago, topradio said:

20 hours ago, topradio said:

Not on my 98 986, it stays on until the frunk is latched.  Porsche has constantly messed about with the design over the years.

Was that pre Most or one of the other unconventional wiring systems, ours was 2004.

20 hours ago, zagamuffin said:

The amount of hydrogen given off while charging is negligible so not really an issue , it’s also not a sealed space so no risk ...

Pretty sure this is why when jumping a car and the battery is discharged you connect to a remote negative point on the battery being charged and disconnect the negative BEFORE the positive. 

LOL, no risk :laugh:

I did know somebody who blew up a battery with a spark igniting the hydrogen produced. It was many years ago before sealed batteries which may have made a difference.

When I was a kid we regularly used to split water into hydrogen and oxygen using electrolysis and captured the gasses. We once made a demijohn full of hydrogen and when we lit it, from afar with a spark, it shattered the container. 

2 hours ago, topradio said:

I did know somebody who blew up a battery with a spark igniting the hydrogen produced. It was many years ago before sealed batteries which may have made a difference.

When I was a kid we regularly used to split water into hydrogen and oxygen using electrolysis and captured the gasses. We once made a demijohn full of hydrogen and when we lit it, from afar with a spark, it shattered the container. 

Ahh but define sealed ;)

I remember seeing a Sealed alarm standby 12v battery that resembled a football, now there was an imminent explosion in possibly two senses of the word. 

The reason I find the statement 'no risk' so absolutely and completely hilarious is,,,,,,,, we have JK :laugh:

1 minute ago, EXY said:

The reason I find the statement 'no risk' so absolutely and completely hilarious is,,,,,,,, we have JK :laugh:

Anyone know John's real surname? I want to put it into google along with "Titanic" and "'Hindenburg" and such like.

Bet we can find hits.

6 minutes ago, Scubaregs said:

Anyone know John's real surname? I want to put it into google along with "Titanic" and "'Hindenburg" and such like.

Bet we can find hits.

Hits or Bits 🤔

Take a good mental picture of it 🙄🤐

4 minutes ago, EXY said:

Hits or Bits 🤔

Take a good mental picture of it 🙄🤐

You can just imagine it on the Titanic.

"Keep a good lookout for ice Mr @John K"

"Aye, aye sir, you can count on me" (Ooooo, I can see @CAZ's bossom with these binoculars)

11 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

Don’t need binoculars for that. 

Why thank you kind Sir 😉

Archived