what wheel spacers did you go for? 5mm / 7mm

robporsche

dont want anything too excessive but it does need a little push to get those big old 20inchers under the arches.

Any brand thats recommended and any pics with them fitted, need to measure up but thinking 7mm might be about right.

wheel shims

1 minute ago, mneil said:

Got 10mm all round on mine also with 20". Sorry can't remember from where but it was from a post on here.

great thanks,   I always seem to struggle when i search on these forums lol  I will try again.  

On 1/13/2020 at 10:43 AM, Bodge50 said:

Wq9uzUT.jpg

Only pic i can find at the moment - wheels still within arch .

great, thanks.  I like the grey wheels with the red,  anymore pics, its a combo ive been looking at and cant make my mind up.

That looks great. Really torn now between the grey and the silver for the wheels.   I've read so much issues with spacers though mainly Wobble and it seems to be certain spacers are better than others.

I have 5mm all round from Freakyparts as I was the one that commissioned them originally.  

I went for these as didn't need the longer bolts either.

https://freakyparts.co.uk/collections/porsche-boxster-987-wheel-spacers/products/porsche-slot-on-wheel-spacers-2x

Pictures just after fitting:

47514362861_1f723c4936_b.jpg

40548373543_c5c2a77594_b.jpg

• 4 months later...

Hi Patt

So you don’t need extended bolts with 5mm spacers? I ve just found some oem black 5mm spacers for my 987 BE. I’ve measured my standard bolts and they have 25mm thread. So by adding the spacer I will be loosing 5mm thread or a fifth.

So is 20mm of thread safe and exceptible or should I fit some 30mm extended bolts? I believe Porsche fit these when they use 5mm spacers.

The oem extended bolts are pricey at £100 and I’m not in rush to buy them but I do want to safe or am I over thinking it? 

Cheers

Gareth

Porsche sell you extended bolts with their 5mm spacer kit, not worth risking it buy longer bolts, you don't want to be worrying about this when your attacking your favourite corner.

I ran 5mm spacers with original bolts until last month when I decided to buy the OEM longer black bolts, rather than repaint my originals.  

The OEM are longer than required to start with, I'd estimate you are actually losing about 3mm.

A bit of lock down purchase fever more than anything else. It never stopped me hooning, however it's your choice.

There are cheaper long bolts on ebay for about half the price if you search out the conical seats, rather than the nasty angled ones.

From an engineering perspective, 6 turns of thread is all you need to obtain, near as damn it, full loading in shear or tension in any bolt that the bolt material or threaded material will offer, which ever is the weaker of the two.

I ve ordered some extended bolts from Porsche Wolverhampton, I got a decent price 😉

The spacers I’ve found are oem 5mm spacers and I think using the oem extended bolts with them is a sensible idea.

I saw the cheaper bolts for sale on eBay and I ran them with the bigger spacers on the previous cars with no issues. But I always had a very slight doubt in my mind and I know nobody hasn’t had any problems, but I prefer the thought of oem bolts holding my wheels on.

Other than aesthetics are there any real benefits in fitting 5mm spacers? Its just, from the physics involved, I cannot understand what difference an extra  fifth of an inch ( old money!) each side could make?

You maybe right John but I’m curious to see if it looks a little better. I doubt it will make any handling difference.

I ran 7mm fronts and 15mm rears on my two previous cars and it did make the wheels fill the arches. But this time round I fancied something similar but oem.

They fit 5mm all round on some Gt3s and the 550 anniversary so I thought it would be worth a try 😂

2 minutes ago, Lonewolfgjp said:

You maybe right John but I’m curious to see if it looks a little better. I doubt it will make any handling difference.

I ran 7mm fronts and 15mm rears on my two previous cars and it did make the wheels fill the arches. But this time round I fancied something similar but oem.

They fit 5mm all round on some Gt3s and the 550 anniversary so I thought it would be worth a try 😂

I totally get they may look better, and I think in some  cases spacers may be needed to keep the wheels away from things, but I  cannot understand how there could be other benefits. Just curious!

3 minutes ago, JohnSyn said:

I totally get they may look better, and I think in some  cases spacers may be needed to keep the wheels away from things, but I  cannot understand how there could be other benefits. Just curious!

And the RS60, it's like MO30 it's done for a reason, by Porsche development Engineers, and track testing, not that us mere mortals would recognise the subtle changes in the set up/ geometery?

5 minutes ago, bally4563 said:

And the RS60, it's like MO30 it's done for a reason, by Porsche development Engineers, and track testing, not that us mere mortals would recognise the subtle changes in the set up/ geometery?

I’m sure you are right, about the engineers, but it’s hard to comprehend how such a small additional spacer can make a difference particularly when taking into account movement in the tyre walls 

14 minutes ago, JohnSyn said:

Some people play around with spacers or shims to tune the handling and grip mainly on the track. One guy with a Cayman R swore by 8mm front and 6mm rear, which I would have thought was the wrong way round but he said it improved steering feel in the corners. 

I would imagine your GTS is fully sorted from the factory, as it is a more race bred type of Boxster👍

1 minute ago, Lonewolfgjp said:

Some people play around with spacers or shims to tune the handling and grip mainly on the track. One guy with a Cayman R swore by 8mm front and 6mm rear, which I would have thought was the wrong way round but he said it improved steering feel in the corners. 

I would imagine your GTS is fully sorted from the factory, as it is a more race bred type of Boxster👍

+1

Archived