Stick with 3 stalk or go with 4

the baron

My indicators dont self cancel, common issue and i have lived with it for over a year, i decided to get it done and have toyed with second had one on ebay but at £140 might as well spend another £70 and gets new one (£210), i could probably fit that myself, however my question is, do i upgrade and get the 4 stalk and have the OBC connected up at the same time, this will have to be done at CPS, he’s quoted around £495 all in, the 4 stalk is around £350 so about £140 more than the 3 stalk but I’m gaining an on board computer for a couple of hours labour at CPS.

Will i use the OBC is it worth spending the extra, what do the masses say?

You only need 3 stalk for the OBC. A three stalk can be bought but it is possible to add the third stalk to two stalk (in your case you'll need a new one anyway as you lost the self cancel). If you want cruise control (and it's not easy on a non fly by wire model like ours) you will have to buy a four stalk. The forth stalk cannot be added later to a two or three stalk.

Note that you will not get external temperature readings unless you also fit and wire in the external sensor.

Get the four stick and do it yourself I did and I'm useless at spannering.

Just got back in November from a 3000 mile France and Spain trip and really appreciated the cruise control.

Lee at CPS programmed both obc and cruise.

I had an OBC added to my two stalk set up. IIRC less than £200. However it only gives mpg, remaining miles to fill up and ave speed. No temperature reading as I don't have the external sensor.  Something I may add. Not exactly hugely useful, particularly given concerns about accuracy, but for less than £200 it's another button to push!

36 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

I think the baron is asking how often one actually uses the extra functions in real life, or is it just a novelty for the first month then never touched again. 

This ^^^

@the baron

I do use the OBC, usually to monitor mpg and how many miles I have left to creep to the filling station! I'd use it even more if it had an external temperature gauge as a black ice warning because I use the car all year.  The OBC is not an essential but I would fit it again if I didn't  have it.

(IIRC there was a time that, oddly, the four stalk could be bought for less than the three stalk. Buyers who wanted a three stalk were snapping the fourth stalk off!)

To retrofit the obc it is very easy I use mine like the post above to check how many miles before I need to fill up, I find that functionality very useful.

@Richard Hamilton was very kind and sent me the wiring diagram and I bought the wire connectors and connector block from the OPC for not a lot of money. I can lend you my 101 book that shows you how to do it if your interested.

55 minutes ago, John2000 said:

To retrofit the obc it is very easy I use mine like the post above to check how many miles before I need to fill up, I find that functionality very useful.

@Richard Hamilton was very kind and sent me the wiring diagram and I bought the wire connectors and connector block from the OPC for not a lot of money. I can lend you my 101 book that shows you how to do it if your interested.

Thank you for your kind offer of lending me the 101, I already have that but didn't think to look at it, as I was just going to hand it to Lee at CPS, this time of year its a bit cold to be spanering even in my garage.

The 5th function is speed warning (mpg, range, temp, av speed), normally for winter/snow tyres or chains.  I use it as a chime warning when driving 'enthusiastically' to advise when I'm nearing a less well advised speed.  It usually sits on temp but the speed warning function sounds whatever is displayed.

Each to their own basically.

19 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

That's a quiet life you lead :)

Me too because one thing I missed was seeing the outside temp mind you I got an even bigger kick when I was reading the outside temperature  when driving with the top down in the last week of November and it was reading 25c in the South of Spain knowing it was -5 in the UK.

1 hour ago, John2000 said:

Me too because one thing I missed was seeing the outside temp mind you I got an even bigger kick when I was reading the outside temperature  when driving with the top down in the last week of November and it was reading 25c in the South of Spain knowing it was -5 in the UK.

Show off.... rub it in why don't you!

On 1/22/2020 at 11:28 AM, Menoporsche said:

That's a quiet life you lead :)

And its been totally shattered, have had the 4 stalk installed but Lee couldn't get the OBC to work, it being an early car it might have an issue, am seeing if it can be reprogrammed with a bit coding , if not next step would be a new binnacle computer(Cant remember what its called), so to be honest might swap it back to 3 stalk, what a faff...

On 1/23/2020 at 11:03 PM, Richard Hamilton said:

Coding should be pretty straightforward.  Just make sure the Order Code is entered in DME>Vehicle Data.  Then do a complete module search and code the Instrument Cluster for OBC.  Best done with a PIWIS1, rather than a 2 or 3.

Thanks

So, going to Oxford this afternoon to get my instrument cluster OBC sorted, this was Lee at CPS recommendation, its the guys he uses when he can't do it in house, so if their not able then Ive wasted £400 on a 4 stalk with only 3 stalks working 🤬

Archived