Climate - what are the implications?

lofi

So, my search and research continues whilst I wait for my car to sell.

I'n my budget for a 981 I am seeing many cars that do not have the dual auto climate.  How much of a pain is this?  I will be using the car daily.

Mine has dual climate because I could have it. In all honesty, apart from option bragging rights it's a complete white elephant. Wouldn't bother me if it had the standard a/c. 

On a car where the roof comes off, you really won't see any benefit from dual climate. However when you come to sell the option Nazi's may give you a spanking. 

And here's why I don't like it.  On an old fashioned heating control, I turn the temperature knob to the level I desire and it mixes hot and cold together so that what comes out of the vents is a constant temperature and I adjust it as desired.  In the summer I turn the temp knob to cold and push the a/c button.  Works just fine for me.

With dual climate (on my 981 & others I've tried), when the system determines that it's too cold in the cabin, it wacks up the air to hot for a while until the threshold is reached and then tries to maintain it.  The opposite happens when the system wants to cool the cabin.  This schizophrenic behaviour is particularly noticeable if you drive in open shoes in the summer.😎

I really do believe that dual a/c is the very definition of 'kings new clothes' 

34 minutes ago, lofi said:

I am seeing many cars that do not have the dual auto climate.  How much of a pain is this?  I will be using the car daily.

Simply, are you used to it already on current/previous cars and how much do you like it?

I have it in my family car and it's frankly cr*p, but perhaps that's old tech.

I'm with topradio, pointless in a small convertible, though I understand as a daily in the UK you'll have the roof off less than me.  For heating I rely on heated seats much more than the air. Otherwise, no hardship to stab a button once every 10 minutes when you feel like it.

I found it impossible finding a 981 in the right colour/leather/wheels/options/warranty on a used car so had to compromise. 

One of those compromises was making do with manual aircon instead of climate. Thought it would be a big thing but so far, it’s not bothered me.  Heated seats is a better option, sitting on cold leather this time of year is not good!

Climate control comes into its own in summer but then the roof is down so it’s pointless.

2 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

Simply, are you used to it already on current/previous cars and how much do you like it?

I have it in my family car and it's frankly cr*p, but perhaps that's old tech.

I'm with topradio, pointless in a small convertible, though I understand as a daily in the UK you'll have the roof off less than me.  For heating I rely on heated seats much more than the air. Otherwise, no hardship to stab a button once every 10 minutes when you feel like it.

Had it on all the most recent family cars and have liked it because the wife likes to have it set at some silly level starting with a 2 whereas I like it to start with a 1.  However, those are wide family transport.  The 911 I'm selling has single zone but climate, set temperature and never touch it again.  Works pretty well.  Current daily is a base spec 2008 Corsa with all manual.  Works perfectly well for me.

So - - - how much chin scratching is there come selling on?  It sounds from the posts so far that it is someway down the 'must haves' list?

My 987 doesn’t have it while the 986 has its predecessor (Auto, not Dual).

If you are going to use it as a daily, or even the occasional long roof up journey I’d recommend having it, as otherwise you have to keep tweaking it to get comfy. This is especially true when starting from cold as you really have to crank it all the way up to get it to warm the cabin and then slowly turn it down to the comfy level. With the Auto, I just leave it at 22C and let the car do all the work.

But, since you are looking 2nd hand, I also wouldn’t consider it a deal breaker, as I didn’t when getting the 987

I leave the manual setting where it is, doesn’t warm up any faster by cranking it up - it just suddenly gets too hot. 

I tried explaining this to the wife regarding the central heating but she never listened. 

It has a pretty dial that tells you the desired temperature.

It proves the female in the passenger seat has messed with the temperature because they understand how to use it.

It generally makes my feet colder than I wish for all but a couple of weeks a year.

It was poorly sold by the OPC and web site, just like the light design option, thus it's rarity causes the keyboard hero's to make it a "must have"...well those that aspire to move up the 911 ladder of one up man ship...

19 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

Show your wife the heated seat button and the passenger window up/down button.   For me, that's dual zone climate.

😂

Ok, I think I will cross it off the 'things to look out for list'

20 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

Show your wife the heated seat button and the passenger window up/down button.   For me, that's dual zone climate.

Cracking quote them Mr orange

I try to have a rule when there are two of us in the car, she gets to control the temp on her side and I have control of everything else.  Doesn't work though, many times looking down to find something selected that I didn't do/want.  And dual doesn't solve arguments as 'my side' apparently encroaches on hers!

Now, in terms of white elephants, I have vented seats.  For about two days a year they are great and score quite well in option Top Trumps.  If I lived nearer the Med then they would be a no-brainer.  Would I specify them again? possibly, I don't think that they were a particularly expensive option, particularly when compared with the cost of having the SC clock in red.😁

18 minutes ago, robporsche said:

Is there a way to set the heating so driver controls both sides to the same temp without turning both dials?

Yes, press the Sync button

Climate control gets way too much attention in here, as a daily you should focus on pasm, heated seats, decent stereo, decent seats and leather everywhere.  However, the very best option on these is the sports exhaust.

6 hours ago, daz05 said:

Climate control gets way too much attention in here, as a daily you should focus on pasm, heated seats, decent stereo, decent seats and leather everywhere.  However, the very best option on these is the sports exhaust.

The exhaust. Think I’ll start a new topic

It's easy for me, in the summer the top is down,when its chilly- heated seats on etc dont need dual climate,so overrated!

As said above - exhaust!

Si

On 2/4/2020 at 10:20 AM, Patt said:

IIRC, light design adds interior courtesy light and lights around the sun visor mirrors and foot wells.

I have footwell lights, courtesy lights but no lighting on the vanity mirrors. Poverty spec.

I too don't have climate. I would like it. However if it was the only thing missing off of my list I'd live without.

18 hours ago, Gutley said:

Yes, press the Sync button

On my 981s I press the Auto/ Mono next to drivers Temp adjustment switch, to Mono. Turn off the A/C and select the output, floor/mid/screen. I prefer fresh air flowing through the car and manually adjusting the heater settings in the cold. I tend to only use the A/C in Very hot days when it's too hot to have the roof down. I'm not fond of caps and prefer not to run the risk of a burnt head 🤬.

Archived