Thoughts: Joyeauto - LEDs - 911Box

Richard Hamilton

Having almost sold my 3.2 Carrera (I know, I know) I'm looking to replace it with a 981 Cayman.  

I have a definite wish list of PDK, PASM, PCM with DAB, 2-zone climate, not black, and under 25000 miles.  Ideally, I would like blue or red, Cruise, MFSW, PDLS and front and rear parking sensors.  Cruise and MFSW are easy to fit, so no problem there if I find one without.  I have seen a couple for sale with rear only sensors, and reckon I could retrofit front sensors relatively easily.  Both of these cars have halogen lights.  Adding PDLS might be a bridge too far, so LED bulbs would be a possibility.  

So, on to the questions:

Has anyone fitted LEDs to dip and main beam?  Which bulbs, and have they worked out OK in the longer term?  Any downsides?

Next questions are about the Joyeauto PCM3.1 kit.  Does anyone use it with Android Auto?  Is it a wireless connection?  Can you call up Google Assistant via the voice button on the MFSW?  The reason I ask is mainly because I can control my garage doors with GA, and it would be nice to get rid of the door remotes.

Lastly, anyone bought a car from 911Box?  If so, how were they to deal with?  (Perhaps PM negative responses).

Thanks.

There was a thread on here the other day about headlights, one guy had fitted LED's and another had replaced the Xenon 25w bulbs with 35w plus an upgraded ballasts.

Will let you know if I find it, if someone doesn't beat me.

Good luck with the search, finding everything you want is just about impossible though.  

Doh, it was only a few threads down: 

Good stuff Richard, I'm hoping you end up with a low spec car that you end up retrofitting stuff to as it would make for good content.

Tempted by android auto pcm too.

Front sensors is definitely doable, probably a new module, a vw wiring loom and well the sensors.

On 2/19/2020 at 8:15 PM, Richard Hamilton said:

Thanks Rick.  I saw that thread, but it is mainly about the Xenon upgrade.  @Guvs did comment very positively on LEDs, but I was hoping for other experiences.

Thanks Ian.  I'll be very interested to hear how you get on.

I've come across a possible problem with after market LED's the dipped beam seems to hold some power after you have switched off the ignition and stay lit they are very dim but defiantly holding some charge/power they do go off eventually but sometimes it sets the alarm off for a few seconds, I'm working out how to get around that mainly not locking the car until they have gone out.

🤔

Guvs.

Hi Richard,

you helped me with my 996 and your tester - thank you. Good luck with your sale! 

911Box are very close to me (Hayes Bromley) I nearly bought a Boxster from them and they were ok to deal with (but wouldn't budge on price). My neighbour has all of his work completed by them and is very pleased with the service. I think that they self warranty but would suggest you check that.

If you get a train over to view or collect, happy to pic you up from Hayes station if I am around or its a 15 minute walk off road.

On 2/19/2020 at 7:08 PM, Richard Hamilton said:

Having almost sold my 3.2 Carrera (I know, I know)

I’m still trying to get over this.... what pushed you? For me it’s when the maintenance and inconvenience outweighs the romance...

Is it a Base Cayman you are looking at, hence halogen standard lights, or an S with Xenons?.   I wouldn’t bother with front sensors, I have them on mine but I can’t think I’ve ever actually needed them, I actually find the Porsche parking sensors a bit slow to react so not the best.

5 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

I’m still trying to get over this.... what pushed you? For me it’s when the maintenance and inconvenience outweighs the romance...

I am too Meno.  Trouble is that I got far too precious about it.  You know - "it looks like it might possibly rain" - and I ended up polishing and looking at it more than driving it.  Also, the jobs that I used to breeze through, and enjoyed doing, 9-10 years ago have become a chore and take me 3 times as long.  Time for someone else to cherish it and enjoy it the way I used to.  Having had a couple of 987 Caymans as daily drivers and really loving them, a 981C makes sense as a second car to me now.  The longer term plan is to sell Mrs H's A1 when I retire at the end of the year, and share the RSQ3 as a daily, and both use the Cayman when we feel like it.

For those who haven't seen the car, this is it: http://www.911virgin.com/porscheforsale/1415/9113.2CarreraG50Coupe/

3 hours ago, Greenman said:

Is it a Base Cayman you are looking at, hence halogen standard lights, or an S with Xenons?.   I wouldn’t bother with front sensors, I have them on mine but I can’t think I’ve ever actually needed them, I actually find the Porsche parking sensors a bit slow to react so not the best.

I don't mind if it is a 2.7 or S, but the 2.7's which have taken my fancy both have halogens.  Both cars aren't exactlypoverty spec, but neither owner ticked the PDLS box.  At first, I was looking for one with a light interior (pebble or platinum grey) but have given up on that idea.  Most Cayman purchasers (S or 2.7, daily or weekender) seem to have no imagination, and must have been swayed by the dealers to choose "Resale Black" interiors.  It is amazing how even the shortest of wish-list items restricts your choice.  Mrs H doesn't do high speed parking, and front sensors would help a lot.  Looking at the parts lists, wiring diagrams, and coding options, it looks like I would just need to run 6 wires from the control unit up to the front PU, fit 4 sensors, and code the system to activate them.  Using used sensors, I reckon I could do it for about £150 if I need to.

9 hours ago, Richard Hamilton said:

Hi Graham

I think I'm swaying towards the other one I have seen, but thank you for the offer. 

Did the steering angle sensor error come back?

Hi Richard, not a problem if you change your mind, just let me know.

Yes, the steering wheel sensor error did come back but only a couple of times since I called around. I fear a wiring fault somewhere awkward but live in hope it disappears for good. I do need to use the contact cleaner but life has not gone to plan in the last few weeks, so one for the spring!

Good luck with the Cayman.

• 2 weeks later...

I wasn't sure whether to add this to the market discussions or add it to this thread.  Well, as it starts "Thoughts" how about thoughts on this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/333533320221?ul_noapp=true

I wasn't particularly looking for a 718, but it popped up on my eBay notifications.  It looks to me like about £5000 might put it right, and it ticks an awful lot of my boxes, particularly ACC which is as rare as hen's teeth.   If it wasn't Cat N, my guess is that it would be £45k-ish, so is it worth taking a punt hoping to spend £32k in total?  One thing I'll say is that I have a good pal who is a bodywork man, and he did up a Cat N Citigo which I bought for my sister-in-law.  He also repainted my 911 and is really good (and cheap).  The Cat N 'stigma' doesn't bother me, but I realise it will only ever be worth 2/3 of market value.

2 hours ago, Richard Hamilton said:

I wasn't sure whether to add this to the market discussions or add it to this thread.  Well, as it starts "Thoughts" how about thoughts on this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/333533320221?ul_noapp=true

I wasn't particularly looking for a 718, but it popped up on my eBay notifications.  It looks to me like about £5000 might put it right, and it ticks an awful lot of my boxes, particularly ACC which is as rare as hen's teeth.   If it wasn't Cat N, my guess is that it would be £45k-ish, so is it worth taking a punt hoping to spend £32k in total?  One thing I'll say is that I have a good pal who is a bodywork man, and he did up a Cat N Citigo which I bought for my sister-in-law.  He also repainted my 911 and is really good (and cheap).  The Cat N 'stigma' doesn't bother me, but I realise it will only ever be worth 2/3 of market value.

It's a nice looking car. I'm uncertain how the new categories work. For example, why would an insurance company declare a £45k car a Cat N write off for want of a £5K repair?  If it's because of the cost of car hire whilst being repaired then it's about time that "scam" was stopped!

12 minutes ago, Boxob said:

It's a nice looking car. I'm uncertain how the new categories work. For example, why would an insurance company declare a £45k car a Cat N write off for want of a £5K repair?  If it's because of the cost of car hire whilst being repaired then it's about time that "scam" was stopped!

Catagory N replaces the old Cat D.  It means there is no structural damage, and it can be repaired and returned to use.  I was absolutely gobsmacked when I saw the damage to the s-i-l's Citigo.  The salvage was bought for £2250 (from a dealer).  The parts to fix it were about £300, and about 12 hours work.  .  At the time the car was only 2 years old and would have been worth about £5500 if non-Cat N.  I don't really understand it either.

When I said a £5000 repair, I reckon that's what it would cost me.  An insurance company would probably be charged at least twice that.  The numbers still don't make sense though.

It's a no from me Richard, the 2.5 sound is not to my taste, if you fancy a 718 then the 2.0l is the nicer car, fast enough and probably available for similar money.  The ACC may or may not need calibrated so add some cost in for that also, not cheap sadly.

Archived