Emergency front compartment access

gdibben

Hi all - I have a flat battery and cannot access the front luggage compartment.

I have tried putting a jumper battery across the fuse box + terminal on the drivers side and the door latch and still nothing... I think a fuse or relay has gone or the + terminal isn't connected either way I cannot get the compartment open. Tried 2 batteries so I know it's not that. Is there a way to release the front luggage latch without putting 12V onto the release??? ie cable or mechanical release?

Any help gratefully received, thanks.

What year is your car?  The early ones had a cable that ran from the lever to the latch, the later had an electro-mechanical setup where the latch was operated by a voltage being applied.  Both had an emergency release cable under the wheel arch liner, usually on the passenger (left) side.

The later car with the electronic latch had a terminal in the fuse box that pulled out so you could apply 12 volts to energise the frunk release switch. 

Thanks - I've tried the 12V across the fuse board + terminal and the door latch but still won't click the switch.

Good to know there's a cable under the wheel arch - I will go and search.

Thanks for your help

I was in the same position with my 2002 986 a few months ago, and didn't have a spare battery to apply 12 volts - only the booster pack which I think was too intelligent for its own good.

My cable is behind the drivers side wheel arch - if it's never been used, it's likely to be a bit seized so needs some force to pull it.  You'll need to remove the wheel too.

Once I was in there, I applied some spray grease everywhere, and it works a treat now.

I took a picture of the location of it behind the headlight...

UJo6gE6.jpg

Hope this helps,

Mike

I did this last week, the fuse "trick" did not work. Unscrew the fuse box panel behind that the black release cable can easily be accessed its next to the bundle of wires just pull it and hey presto frunk is open I replaced battery as it was old and well past sell by date.

23 minutes ago, Tynesider said:

That's not the official way to do it and will only work on early fully mechanical latches.  What he's doing is crudely pulling on the whole cable until it moves and operates the lock.  A bit like pulling on the outer part of a brake cable on a bicycle until the force is transferred to the inner.

Still no luck...

The battery has a non-standard battery cut-off with a fuse and I think the fuse has blown which means - the 12V across the fuseboard won't work as the battery is no longer connected. Also, of course the wheel nut adaptor is in the front compartment so I cannot get the wheel off. I have managed to get the wheel liner off on the OS front, but guess what - there is no cable release... Thank you for sending pictures, I know where it should be but it's not there. Not sure if someone has re-routed it (cannot find it if they have). 

Is there a way of releasing the latch? I'm currently totally stuck. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Look in places where the release cable could have been relocated. Behind the towing eye blanking plate is popular or under the bumper. 

Whilst mines on the passenger side, others on here have found it on the driver's side so check there too.

Has a previous owner re-routed the cable to the flap behind the towing eye, for ease of access? Or maybe behind the removable triangle of the headlight? 

I couldn't see mine from the wheel arch, it was done by feeling around behind the headlight.

Failing that, do you have breakdown cover?

Mike.

56 minutes ago, gdibben said:

How do I get the headlight triangle off? Don't want to damage the headlight.

Thanks

Carefully!  They're held in place by tabs which look very fragile. It's not something I'd want to remove even irregularly. 

You could try fishing for the release cable from below using a straighten wire coat hanger with a hook on the end. There are some slots in the underside of the bumper. Aim the hook up toward the centre of the bonnet where the latch is in the hope you can snare the release cable which will be to one side of the latch. I've not done this but having had the bumper off and seen the location of the emergency cable it should be possible.

I'd also look for a means to undo the lockers to get the front wheels off. It'll make looking for the cable much easier.

At this stage risking the headlight triangle sounds practical if frustrating if it gets damaged.  Would avoid damaging bumper paint when fishing with a wire.

Locking wheel nut lives in my driver door pocket (no glove box), even though I have an 986 older mechanical releases, just in case.

18 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

Locking wheel nut lives in my driver door pocket (no glove box), even though I have an 986 older mechanical releases, just in case.

Me too.  My Car lives on a CTEK in the garage when not being driven (which is unfortunately all of the time at the moment), and the locking wheel nut is in the glovebox. 

Don’t you have break down cover? I use auto aid, they came out and opened mine in seconds! 
Are you using the frunk button on the key, not on the door sill? The boost on the fuse board only works with the key. 

15 minutes ago, Bez9794 said:

Are you using the frunk button on the key, not on the door sill? The boost on the fuse board only works with the key. 

Ah! I didn't know that... would have saved a lot of hassle. 👍

12 hours ago, gdibben said:

Still no luck...

The battery has a non-standard battery cut-off with a fuse and I think the fuse has blown which means - the 12V across the fuseboard won't work as the battery is no longer connected. Also, of course the wheel nut adaptor is in the front compartment so I cannot get the wheel off. I have managed to get the wheel liner off on the OS front, but guess what - there is no cable release... Thank you for sending pictures, I know where it should be but it's not there. Not sure if someone has re-routed it (cannot find it if they have). 

Is there a way of releasing the latch? I'm currently totally stuck. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

on a 987 the release wire is on the near side (passenger side)

39 minutes ago, MikeT999 said:

Ah! I didn't know that... would have saved a lot of hassle. 👍

Not for my 2004. Apply lithium battery to red tab, hit normal sill release button and job done. 

1 hour ago, ½cwt said:

At this stage risking the headlight triangle sounds practical if frustrating if it gets damaged.  Would avoid damaging bumper paint when fishing with a wire

Fishing is done from below and behind the bumper. No threat to paintwork. 

Get one of those cigarette lighter adaptors connect the leads to the spare battery. Plug the adaptor in and use the buttons to open the bonnet. Make sure the leads are the right way round, from memory +12 is the centre pin.

Archived