Painting wheel bolts

Toddie

Has anyone got any tips about painting/refurbishing their Boxster wheel bolts? I know I have seen info on this before but am failing to turn anything up on the search facility.

I just cleaned mine up with a wire brush attachment on a Dremel, then sprayed with some old Audi Silver paint I had in shed, couple coats clear laquer  then left overnight to dry.  To pain them I had an old piece of polystyrene which I made holes in to push the bolts through.

A41D143F-15D8-49A9-BE99-6FF43530CB55.jpeg

12 minutes ago, Boxob said:

Spray with Hammerite smooth silver. Some then bake them in a low temp oven. They will need redoing periodically but it smartens them up.

+1

48 minutes ago, Rich2508 said:

I just cleaned mine up with a wire brush attachment on a Dremel, then sprayed with some old Audi Silver paint I had in shed, couple coats clear laquer  then left overnight to dry.  To pain them I had an old piece of polystyrene which I made holes in to push the bolts through.

A41D143F-15D8-49A9-BE99-6FF43530CB55.jpeg

+1

Ok guys thanks for all your replies, I have some Hammerite smooth silver coming so will use that, only problem being wife is now working from home, so low bake in the oven could be an issue!

7 minutes ago, Toddie said:

Ok guys thanks for all your replies, I have some Hammerite smooth silver coming so will use that, only problem being wife is now working from home, so low bake in the oven could be an issue!

Just bake some bread at the same time.  She'll be none the wiser 🤫

2 hours ago, Toddie said:

Microwave instead?

😬

Ive just started a new thread here discussing Stainless steel v Titanium, I know its not answering the OP original question but it might offer some interesting alternatives to painting.

I just started doing mine the other day. Probably could have been doing with a Dremel as there are some tougher raised areas of metal that sandpaper couldn't do much with.

I dipped them in vinegar overnight to help soften some of the corrosion then sanded them down using 120 grit sandpaper that I had lying about. Then a good wire brushing to clean it all. I already had primer paint and lacquer for this task prior to covid-19 as I wanted to do it about 2 months ago! Silver used was Ford Moondust Silver. 

8 more to go...

CaN4KE9.jpg

Yes I was well aware before I started painting them that they will need done again but for £20 for paint it was worth it for a freshen up and preperation next time hopefully shouldn't take as long. 

+1 on the silver smooth Hammerite.  I only did 1 coat first time round and has only lasted a year but hopefully with better prep and 2 coats they will be better when I do them this weekend. I cut a template out of hardboard making it reusable.  

UWqhdQ1.jpgI the drive needs weeding.....

6 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

+1 on the silver smooth Hammerite.  I only did 1 coat first time round and has only lasted a year but hopefully with better prep and 2 coats they will be better when I do them this weekend. I cut a template out of hardboard making it reusable.  

Did you put a coat of lacquer on after the hammerite? 

I buy new, as they do stretch over time and should be replaced. I clear lacquer the new ones for a longer life (on my other cars that live in the weather, boxsy is garaged) What about black or chrome wheel nut covers, only a few quid off fleebay and smarten up without the effort?

5 hours ago, MattO89 said:

Did you put a coat of lacquer on after the hammerite? 

No, just the Hammerite. My thinking is that as soon as you use a socket on them you'd affect the finish anyway so add more thickness and you damage the finish putting the socket on to the bolt head before even applying pressure to tighten it.

I'm still learning what works.

The best thing you can do with stock wheel bolts is throw them in the bin and buy stainless steel replacements with no locking heads. One of the best purchases I've made for the car.

17 hours ago, ½cwt said:

My thinking is that as soon as you use a socket on them you'd affect the finish anyway so add more thickness and you damage the finish putting the socket on to the bolt head before even applying pressure to tighten it.

That's exactly my experience. I only use my original bolts with my winter wheels due to their condition. In 2018 i painted them with tinned Hammerite which seemingly went on too thick and came off in lumps as soon as i got a wrench on them. So in readiness for last winter i sprayed them with Hammerite. Finish looked bettter but result is much the same and they need doing again. Agree with GmanB above, the stainless bolts i use in summer are so much better.

I also used brush on Hammerite on mine over the years, but generally only on OEM bolts. Thy do chip and deteriorate with use and age after than anyway mind.

I did change the shiny aftermarket longer one's when I ran spacers and they never needed painting.

A little tip. You can put a single piece of low-tack masking tape on the nut or in the socket. minimises metal to metal contact when torquing the nuts up. 

1 hour ago, Jason986S said:

A little tip. You can put a single piece of low-tack masking tape on the nut or in the socket. minimises metal to metal contact when torquing the nuts up. 

Useful tip, also not using an impact wrench would help when working on it yourself at home, however your typical tyre depot or service agent won't do either to protect the paint.

8 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

Useful tip, also not using an impact wrench would help when working on it yourself at home, however your typical tyre depot or service agent won't do either to protect the paint.

No but you could put tape on before going to the tyre depot.  However painting the bolts once is not a permanent fix but a cheap and easy way to salvage bolts that are otherwise sound save for some surface rust. Which reminds me mine need redoing!

47 minutes ago, Boxob said:

No but you could put tape on before going to the tyre depot.  However painting the bolts once is not a permanent fix but a cheap and easy way to salvage bolts that are otherwise sound save for some surface rust. Which reminds me mine need redoing!

Sometimes you can't really see any chips on the side faces, even then a little touch up will do the trick. It's usually the end face is the offensive sight. 

Archived