New wheel or retrim?

Christopher2110

The more I think about it the more the 986 steering wheel seems quite a large beast. 

I’ve seen a few threads around talking about a smaller one and how much difference it makes. Are there smaller ones out there that are a direct fit? I would like to keep the airbag feature 😋 or is it more sensible to go to Royal Steering wheels and get it re-trimmed and made thicker with the extra being added to the inside diameter rather than the outside. 
Anyone been there done that, that can offer some advice?

1 hour ago, Christopher2110 said:

The more I think about it the more the 986 steering wheel seems quite a large beast. 

I’ve seen a few threads around talking about a smaller one and how much difference it makes. Are there smaller ones out there that are a direct fit? I would like to keep the airbag feature 😋 or is it more sensible to go to Royal Steering wheels and get it re-trimmed and made thicker with the extra being added to the inside diameter rather than the outside. 
Anyone been there done that, that can offer some advice?

Expecting mine back next week from Royal steering wheels , I went for black leather top and bottom, perforated at the sides , green stitching, green centre marker and a flat bottom , can’t wait to see the finished product, I looked everywhere for a different wheel but had no look so when with this option 

Royal Steering wheels have had good things said about them for several years on here. No personal experience of them though but would be my first call if I did want anything in the steering wheel line, good luck.

31 minutes ago, Topbox said:

Royal Steering wheels have had good things said about them for several years on here. No personal experience of them though but would be my first call if I did want anything in the steering wheel line, good luck.

I will post some pictures when I get mine back 

Are you talking 3 or 4 spoke wheel, I wasted my 4 spoke out for the newer 3 spoke, not a lot of difference in diameter, so you would be looking after market, not sure about thew airbag viability with non OEM wheels.

1 minute ago, the baron said:

Are you talking 3 or 4 spoke wheel, I wasted my 4 spoke out for the newer 3 spoke, not a lot of difference in diameter, so you would be looking after market, not sure about thew airbag viability with non OEM wheels.

3 spoke. And yes, can’t imagine the airbag will work with many if any aftermarket ones!

55 minutes ago, V6reu said:

Expecting mine back next week from Royal steering wheels , I went for black leather top and bottom, perforated at the sides , green stitching, green centre marker and a flat bottom , can’t wait to see the finished product, I looked everywhere for a different wheel but had no look so when with this option 

sounds interesting, are they adding a flat bottom to your original wheel? Would you mind if I asked the cost?

My friend @Saxosim had his 3 spoke 986 wheel retrieved by Royal, black leather solid top and bottom, and perf’d at the sides, cracking job as others have already praised, and quick turnaround.

16 minutes ago, V6reu said:

Yeah they are it will look similar to the one in photo £225 for the whole job 

49820412268_21ee15508c_b.jpg

Very smart. I like that a lot 

5 minutes ago, Davidbf1.com said:

My friend @Saxosim had his 3 spoke 986 wheel retrieved by Royal, black leather solid top and bottom, and perf’d at the sides, cracking job as others have already praised, and quick turnaround.

Any photos available @Saxosim 😋

Have a 3 spoke wheel which I sent to Royal. Went for black alcantara with a black centre marker at 12.

Thicker by the depth of the alcantara which was simply wrapped over the existing leather. 

Very pleased with it and Royal’s product and service. 

NeN2YG9.jpg

14 minutes ago, 89rallye said:

me too thinking about just having mine made a bit thicker @V6reu what sort of turnaround is Jack currently doing. cheers

more pics too

I went with the service exchange option and it’s about 2 weeks start to finish then just send mine back to get surcharge refund 

Bear in mind that if you make the stock wheel thicker, this will increase the diameter even more.

The Momo Mod 78 is the nicest wheel I have fitted so far I think in 350mm diameter (stock is around 380mm) as it has a thin, but fairly deep grip, which I prefer to a round thicker one. 

Tried a 330mm, but too small imo for the Box. 

2 hours ago, PaulQ said:

Bear in mind that if you make the stock wheel thicker, this will increase the diameter even more.

The Momo Mod 78 is the nicest wheel I have fitted so far I think in 350mm diameter (stock is around 380mm) as it has a thin, but fairly deep grip, which I prefer to a round thicker one. 

Tried a 330mm, but too small imo for the Box. 

What about the airbag tho ? 

On 4/26/2020 at 12:31 PM, Christopher2110 said:

Very smart. I like that a lot 

Any photos available @Saxosim 😋

Yes sure here you go:

xFF8GSv.jpg

0pBYAn6.jpg

TpVUdNm.jpg

It looks a bit grey in the photos but it is black.  Royal do a great job and it costs about £150 to retrim a wheel

• 2 weeks later...

Archived