From 2.5 to 3.2 S or not? Any thoughts?

Freddie

9 hours ago, Freddie said:

Hi all,

Looking for some insights or previous experience on whether or not I should upgrade from my current 2.5 to an S. Anyone done something similar and regretted it? 

I have a very nice silver 2.5 with 66K on the clock, bought 2 years ago from a super chap that knows Boxsters very well. 

The things I love about this car are that it's in very nice condition inside and out, feels tight, light and nimble on the road, hasn't been mucked about with and is all original. To me it's a garage queen and sits indoors under a cover on a trickle charger till the sun comes out. It's a second car and do such little mileage that upkeep has been minimal aside of necessary servicing etc. It covers about 1000 miles a year currently. 

It does go very well and handles excellent into the bends, however coming out of the bends the allure of the 3.2 is hard to ignore! If anyone is willing to share their experiences I would be very grateful. Thank you in advance :)

Hi, Loz here! 

to answer your first question, I have had (in Chronological order) 

3.2S which was a spare while I had my 2.7 fixed. I could have sold either when I got my 2.7 back. I sold the 3.2S and lived happily ever after.

had the 2.7 for 2.3 years now. Longest I’ve kept any one single car in my life. I love it. 

B roads at a “casual 60” pace require nothing more, imho. 

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Possibly relevant.
I bought a 996 (early watercooled 911) last year and ran it alongside the 2.7 986. 
What’s true is, I barely turned a wheel in the 986 as a result. This was not acceptable, and while the 996 was superb fun, it really excelled when I took it to the Nürburgring, and for that she was a bit too pretty. I’ll find a rough one to go ‘ring spanking in, but for now, the 2.7 and B road combo is heavenly. 

6 minutes ago, Mr96er said:

Hi, Loz here! 

to answer your first question, I have had (in Chronological order) 

3.2S which was a spare while I had my 2.7 fixed. I could have sold either when I got my 2.7 back. I sold the 3.2S and lived happily ever after.

had the 2.7 for 2.3 years now. Longest I’ve kept any one single car in my life. I love it. 

B roads at a “casual 60” pace require nothing more, imho. 

Hey Loz,

Thanks for this. What was it about the 3.2 that made you sell? 

Just now, Freddie said:

Hey Loz,

Thanks for this. What was it about the 3.2 that made you sell? 

Well, it wasn’t that I could foresee it’s new owner would right it off in two months...😖

essentially I found the gear ratios on a B road less playful than the 2.7 (also a classic displacement (‘72 RS?) 

I enjoy the revviness of the 2.7 NA motor and can spin it up in 2nd and dare I say third for great control through twisties. I found with the 6speed I was sometimes not quite in the best gear for making progress and decided that S power in a non S 5 speed box would be sublime. 

By comparison, I simply loved the 996 ratios and power compliment. It just wanted more than road speed to properly give it its head.

Green hell

7 minutes ago, Mr96er said:

Well, it wasn’t that I could foresee it’s new owner would right it off in two months...😖

essentially I found the gear ratios on a B road less playful than the 2.7 (also a classic displacement (‘72 RS?) 

I enjoy the revviness of the 2.7 NA motor and can spin it up in 2nd and dare I say third for great control through twisties. I found with the 6speed I was sometimes not quite in the best gear for making progress and decided that S power in a non S 5 speed box would be sublime. 

By comparison, I simply loved the 996 ratios and power compliment. It just wanted more than road speed to properly give it its head.

Green hell

That's really interesting, how did you find the 2.5s compared to the 2.7? 

That pic is interesting too! Must be some g-force and at work pulling the two inside wheels off the floor! Well held!

15 minutes ago, Freddie said:

That pic is interesting too! Must be some g-force and at work pulling the two inside wheels off the floor! Well held!

Regarding the cornering, all will be revealed if you meet him, bring your best game is all I am saying.

I haven't owned a 3.2 (I have driven a few) but I had a 2.5 986 and now a 2.7 987C. To begin with I thought that the 2.5 was a bit lacking (I had had turbo cars for years before) but once I learned to drive it fast (on track I may add) I actually thought it was perfect. Getting the most out of it felt hugely rewarding (I could hassle much faster cars on track) and on public roads it felt like you could really attack every drive without ever being antisocial/a pr1ck. If anything, having to "really drive it" to hold pace down a decent b road was much more fun than just using the torque to ping my way around. On track any perceived lack of low down torque was even less relevant.

I now have a 987 and despite it "only" having 245hp I often find myself feeling that it is a little under utilised on public roads (I'll often short shift simply because I don't need to hold it to redline to make progress). The handling of the 987 is sublime but I wouldn't enjoy it any more/less with more/less power. If you have a nice 2.5 I think that is probably preferable to an unknown 3.2. If you are bothered about lack of pace, just do a few track days/get some tuition - it's much cheaper than buying a "faster" car :)

53 minutes ago, Tubzilla said:

It has to be a Boxster S. What other model would you get the adjustable windscreen wiper control.

I have a 2.7 with adjustable windscreen wiper contro because someone posted a easy swop of control box that let you change the speed cost me next to nothing to buy from the ebay link he posted and one minute to do

Could be a good mod to do to fill one of the blanking plates then?

1 minute ago, John2000 said:

I have a 2.7 with adjustable windscreen wiper contro because someone posted a easy swop of control box that let you change the speed cost me next to nothing to buy from the ebay link he posted and one minute to do

1 hour ago, Lennym1984 said:

I haven't owned a 3.2 (I have driven a few) but I had a 2.5 986 and now a 2.7 987C. To begin with I thought that the 2.5 was a bit lacking (I had had turbo cars for years before) but once I learned to drive it fast (on track I may add) I actually thought it was perfect. Getting the most out of it felt hugely rewarding (I could hassle much faster cars on track) and on public roads it felt like you could really attack every drive without ever being antisocial/a pr1ck. If anything, having to "really drive it" to hold pace down a decent b road was much more fun than just using the torque to ping my way around. On track any perceived lack of low down torque was even less relevant.

I now have a 987 and despite it "only" having 245hp I often find myself feeling that it is a little under utilised on public roads (I'll often short shift simply because I don't need to hold it to redline to make progress). The handling of the 987 is sublime but I wouldn't enjoy it any more/less with more/less power. If you have a nice 2.5 I think that is probably preferable to an unknown 3.2. If you are bothered about lack of pace, just do a few track days/get some tuition - it's much cheaper than buying a "faster" car :)

Absolutely agree👍
More than one Boxster driver has come back from one of our runs with a new found respect for their car’s capability, and the relative ease with which they accessed  It when surrounded by fellow respectful enthusiasts.

That was indeed how I felt after the first time out with @John T and again with @r1flyguy. (Next fookin’ level these two🤯) beautiful and instructional in good measure! The driving, I mean. They both have faces like a blind cobbler’s thumb😉

And at least one of them knows it! 
here he is trying to reproduce my “air”🥵

Ring

it was a game of inches. You may have noticed, my car is black. The irony is not lost, noting that usually closer to the ground is preferable in such comparisons🤷🏾‍♂️

3 minutes ago, Mr96er said:

Absolutely agree👍
More than one Boxster driver has come back from one of our runs with a new found respect for their car’s capability, and the relative ease with which they accessed  It when surrounded by fellow respectful enthusiasts.

That was indeed how I felt after the first time out with @John T and again with @r1flyguy. (Next fookin’ level these two🤯) beautiful and instructional in good measure! The driving, I mean. They both have faces like a blind cobbler’s thumb😉

Would love to go out on a run, once we’re allowed out again. I have a great face for radio so would fit right in! 

Seriously though, am always keen to learn from people who know their stuff. Am based down in deepest darkest Devon (near some cracking bits of road) but am due some Boxster odysseys.

1 hour ago, Freddie said:

I could be mistaken, but I think they have the same gearbox. If not, it’s as near as only makes positive difference. 

3 minutes ago, Freddie said:

Would love to go out on a run, once we’re allowed out again. I have a great face for radio so would fit right in! 

Seriously though, am always keen to learn from people who know their stuff. Am based down in deepest darkest Devon (near some cracking bits of road) but am due some Boxster odysseys.

Okay Homer, 

Open invite to any runs I pull together. You might also keep an eye out for the bridgenorth runs. These chaps don’t turn up for the bacon butties, if you know what I mean👍

12 minutes ago, Mr96er said:

Okay Homer, 

Open invite to any runs I pull together. You might also keep an eye out for the bridgenorth runs. These chaps don’t turn up for the bacon butties, if you know what I mean👍

Thanks for that, would be ace. Not many of us around Dartmoor, trip back to the midlands coming soon then. Grew up in Nottingham and made it out alive!

2 hours ago, Mr96er said:

I could be mistaken, but I think they have the same gearbox. If not, it’s as near as only makes positive difference. 

My understanding is they are different. I've also heard that the perfect combination is the 2.7 fitted with the 2.5 gearbox. 

2.5 'box has shorter ratios. If I still had my 2.7, would have loved to try it with one.

Rebuild gearbox add LSD and new shorter final drive. Enjoy. 

12 hours ago, Mr96er said:

Harsh.....

But so true 😂

12 hours ago, Mr96er said:

And at least one of them knows it! 
here he is trying to reproduce my “air”🥵

Ring

it was a game of inches. You may have noticed, my car is black. The irony is not lost, noting that usually closer to the ground is preferable in such comparisons🤷🏾‍♂️

You car was more weight biased on the right though 🤪

Thats my excuse and I’m sticking with it. 🤣

Archived