986 prices

Tritonkev

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree, browsing eBay recently I've noticed some higher asking prices, this is a recent thing. For the past couple of years I'd say prices have remained pretty much static.

Porsches in general have been a little erratic in terms of prices. 996's seem.to have gone up. 997's seem to be coming down slightly though. 

I haven't a clue - I guess it's a buyer's market right now so even if prides are advertised high they'll be negotiated lower. 

1 minute ago, Scubaregs said:

They do say pride goes before a fall. 😉

price :D - I should have double checked before posting. But generally I am always browsing eBay for that bargain 911 - which turns into looking at Ferraris and other marquees. They still seem quite stable though. 

3 minutes ago, usman10316 said:

price :D - I should have double checked before posting. But generally I am always browsing eBay for that bargain 911 - which turns into looking at Ferraris and other marquees. They still seem quite stable though. 

We all get caught with autocorrect lol. 

I bought mine for £5k and then sold it 18months later for £5k to we buy any car.  Probably could have got more privately. I would think that Covid will depress prices slightly for the next few months so a good time to buy.  

2 minutes ago, Madlil said:

I bought mine for £5k and then sold it 18months later for £5k to we buy any car.  Probably could have got more privately. I would think that Covid will depress prices slightly for the next few months so a good time to buy.  

Try selling a car to we buy any car now.... Porsche Cayman S = 3K!!!!!!!! lol

6 minutes ago, usman10316 said:

Try selling a car to we buy any car now.... Porsche Cayman S = 3K!!!!!!!! lol

Yes I have noticed this - they seem to be switching their pricing checker on and off. Either their algorithms have gone haywire or they are taking the p*ss based on the current crisis. Probably the latter!

I think the nicer/well looked after cars are coming out for sale now, which perhaps justifies their higher asking price.

i think there will be a small element of retail revenge, where people are just saying “life’s too short, let’s treat ourselves” 

of course there are some people who have lost their jobs and therefore may be keen to liquidate some “luxury items” which in turn may bring prices down... 

11 minutes ago, usman10316 said:

2.5's seem to be advertised for just under 5K? These are under 100k miles ones, i.e. similar to mine. 

I think like the early 996 C2, people are starting to appreciate the early 986, with ambers, cable throttle, no traction control... 

8 minutes ago, mazza said:

I think like the early 996 C2, people are starting to appreciate the early 986, with ambers, cable throttle, no traction control... 

ah damn, mine has traction!!!!!!! But one can of course turn it off, wouldn't recommend it though.

On 5/26/2020 at 9:54 PM, Madlil said:

Yes I have noticed this - they seem to be switching their pricing checker on and off. Either their algorithms have gone haywire or they are taking the p*ss based on the current crisis. Probably the latter!

They offered 50quid for mine. Then emailed me a few days later saying the price was about to drop!! 🤪

I've been looking for a 986 S for about three months and the prices are consistent. There are some outliers but on the whole you're going to have to pay the going rate. The "relaxation" of lockdown will reinvigorate the market  which, I anticipate, will firm up prices. That's why I took the plunge yesterday and put a deposit on a car. 

3 hours ago, the baron said:

They are definitely stronger, and the very early cars with ambers seem to be commanding a premium if low miles and a good history.

Ambers are king.

Always have been.

Cheers, Baggers.

I think the reality of post COVID will drop the prices of everything. Listening on the radio today now companies are going to have to pay 25% of employees pay under the furlough  scheme many are 'warning' of job losses.

996 are increasing in price because of the 'first water cooled 911' focus and the fact they are cheap (if that is a thing in Porsche world).

Supply and demand will determine prices and frankly the demand isn't there and will decrease, so as said by others they may be asking at a price but whether they'll get that is another thing.

Dealers are trying to avoid trade ins at the moment due to overstocking. where I work they have thousands of brand new cars stored unsold and when these are heavily discounted, special deals and most likely scrappage deals offered especially if you don't part ex the whole used market is going to be hit.

Good time to buy when the chaos comes.

Archived