locking wheel nut help

Stuart21UK

The car is now 6+ years old and its had the original wheel bolts and locking wheel bolts fitted since new.

The bolts themselves are ok (bar the normal slight rust) but I've just gone outside to torque the bolts and found that my Porsche Locking Bolt key is not fitting correctly and has damaged one of the bolts.

They are a shyate design and this is the 2dd key I've had for the car

So I think at present I have the potential to still remove the 4 locking bolts using the key I have (it's likely after 4 uses either one of the bolts or the key will be damaged beyond me beign able to do so!)

Question is what do you guys recommend I replace the bolts (either the 4 or whole set of 20) with

Dumb it down for me if possible as my technical knowledge is limited so I know they are 19mm heads but not sure of length or other characteristics, thread etc 

Finally I know there is a strong school of thought for not having locking bolts BUT I'd still like to have some if possible...

TIA

I put my locking wheel nuts and key into a tub with Wurth 'Rost Off', an oil which is a rust remover, similar to WD40 and soaked them over night, it cleans the rust off and they are a good fit again 😉

The Porsche locking tools are awful, the tool broke on my old 986 and was a pig removing the 4 locking studs.

The tool on the 981 was equally feeble and the locking grid was already damaged, just about the first job I did was to remove them and put normal studs in.  Nobody steals wheels anymore, a thief will take the whole car.

42 minutes ago, John T said:

I put my locking wheel nuts and key into a tub with Wurth 'Rost Off', an oil which is a rust remover, similar to WD40 and soaked them over night, it cleans the rust off and they are a good fit again 😉

not worried about the small amount of dirt and rust, more replacing the bolts...its the locking key/bolt slipping as the face of the key/bolt is getting damaged with use

its just too soft and can only stand up to limited uses

Bought 1 for mine last week, Also the wheel mounting rod.  £24 for both, so in my view,  its not an expensive thing to replace.  Unlike other stuff  I have been priced for 😁

Phill

Not sure which ones you have, but I've got the multi spline Porsche type on my car and they are fine. 

McGard should be decent quality. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/McGard-SU-Standard-Locking-Wheel-Bolts-M14x1-5-31-8mm-28177SU/352262706136?fits=Car+Make%3APorsche|Plat_Gen%3A981&epid=649282512&hash=item52047e53d8:g:Ws0AAOSwuMNbUQxT

The Porsche wheels needing 160Nm of torque means the locking socket is under considerable strain.  I always loosen mine slightly before getting tyres or similar fixed (to avoid the worst of the manic air wrench treatment), mine have been ok so far but I would likely replace with plane bolts if required.

1 hour ago, RickLS7 said:

The Porsche locking tools are awful, the tool broke on my old 986 and was a pig removing the 4 locking studs.

The tool on the 981 was equally feeble and the locking grid was already damaged, just about the first job I did was to remove them and put normal studs in.  Nobody steals wheels anymore, a thief will take the whole car.

This

Not had locking wheel nuts for years and still have all my wheels.

4 minutes ago, John2000 said:

I have just read my 986 drivers manual and it said 130Nm not 160Nm maybe your is a 987

I thought it was 128nm but I could easily be incorrect

2 hours ago, Stuart21UK said:

not worried about the small amount of dirt and rust, more replacing the bolts...its the locking key/bolt slipping as the face of the key/bolt is getting damaged with use

its just too soft and can only stand up to limited uses

Aye, but it's probably the bit of dirt and rust that is stopping your key fitting the bolts and fully engaging which could be the reason you are damaging yours 😉 Mines a 2011 and its got the original key and bolts and they are fine 👍

I don't torque my wheel nuts and never lost one or a wheel 

Just now, John T said:

Aye, but it's probably the bit of dirt and rust that is stopping your key fitting the bolts and fully engaging which could be the reason you are damaging yours 😉 Mines a 2011 and its got the original key and bolts and they are fine 👍

I don't torque my wheel nuts and never lost one or a wheel 

you can see the damage on the key/bolt so even if that were the original cause (which I doubt, they are just a poor design IMO) then they still need binning 

10 minutes ago, Stuart21UK said:

so I'll need a full set if I buy the McGard locking ones as they are silver and the current bolts are black

I'm pretty sure someone on here bought a set of black McGard locking bolts, but they were difficult to source. 

Sorry Steuart can't help you with your problem however the only thing I would add is, don't get more locking bolts get 4 x new normal OEM bolts and put them on, I do that with every car I have owned as mentioned above people don't nick alloy wheels anymore not like they use to in the old days anyway, 

Guvs. 

Archived