Few questions about upgrades / fixes

Babaa

Hi all,

Have been enjoying lots of great drives and getting used to the car in the month or so I've had it - finding lots of reasons to need to go out in the car is always an indicator for how good a car is / how much you enjoy it 😁.

Fitted the grill covers at the front, and also just received delivery of a Joe Toth ducktail spoiler and looking forwards to fitting that in the near future (will upload some pics once done), but waiting for the garage to call back to fit the wind noise caused since the new windscreen was fitted (rather than add more changes that might get the fingered pointed at it).

Having had more time to get used to the car there were a couple of other changes / things I wanted to ask what people generally do to change them:

1 - the sticky head unit buttons - I have seen another post about this and know I can scrub them up a bit, and also that they apparently just pull off the CDR24 unit, but whilst they look the same on my PCM3, can someone please confirm if they do just pull off and go back on with these (don't want to assume and break one off by trying)?

2 - the steering / steering wheel - don't get me wrong, I love the weight of the steering and the feedback from it (I understand criticising the steering may be a touchy subject), but it just feels like it isn't quite quick enough / takes a bit more turning to get round bends than I'd like / am used to. I have a feeling though that rather than the steering / the rack itself, whether it might just be down to the fact that the standard steering wheel is bigger than I'm used to, so perhaps a smaller steering wheel would help. I've seen some have had wheels re-trimmed to make the rim a bit thicker which I think would also be an improvement - but then I thought that actually this would make the wheel even wider, so maybe worsen it for me. Are there any alternative Porsche steering wheels that go straight on to a 987.2 that are maybe not so large? (If it helps, my current one is a 3 spoke one with the centre piece being circular rather than the triangular shape I've also seen - no steering wheel buttons for PDK or volume controls or anything like that).

Cheers -- Babaa

It's common to get a padded wheel, very rare for someone to actually get a smaller one even if several have talked about it. You also have the airbag to consider, that makes extra expense. Unless you want to de-airbag your car?

Yes, have searched and found some people opting for padded, and whilst I've not ruled it out & think I'd prefer the general feel & comfort of it, it just seems to me logically that it would make the overall diameter even bigger, so not really help with my perception of the steering not feeling quite quick enough.

One quick question though about the air-bag, I thought / hoped that it is possible to just keep the centre part from my current wheel with the airbag in it, and then re-fit again after getting it re-trimmed (or buy an already re-trimmed one that is the same shape) - is that the case or do I need to look to buy one that also has a new airbag with it?

If you keep the same wheel and retrim it, you keep the airbag. If you want to dump that wheel and buy a smaller diameter one, you'll have to sort the airbag. I haven't heard of anyone building wheels with smaller diameter that will accept existing Porsche airbags - they might exist, but I haven't heard of it.  I'm just saying it adds to the expense of changing which can then make the choice uneconomical.

Probably makes sense then as to why I couldn't find any posts about actual smaller wheels then 🙁. Was hoping that maybe I was just missing some other Porsche model / optional extra one might have existed that is a little smaller, but sounds like it wanting to keep & re-use the airbag, it is re-trim or put up with / get used to what I have 🏎️.

Someone on here had their steering wheel padded a retrimmed but had all the padding added to the inside of the wheel so it didn't increase the diameter. If only I could remember who!

15 minutes ago, Boxob said:

Someone on here had their steering wheel padded a retrimmed but had all the padding added to the inside of the wheel so it didn't increase the diameter. If only I could remember who!

I had that done on Boxster number 3.  It was a standard wheel and I had it retrimmed in Alcantara with additional padding on the inside of the rim only.

8 hours ago, Araf said:

I had that done on Boxster number 3.  It was a standard wheel and I had it retrimmed in Alcantara with additional padding on the inside of the rim only.

Hi Araf,

That sounds like it may be a good option for me - do you remember where you had it done and the rough cost?

Thanks -- Babaa

Babaa, may be worth asking Linas at Design LS, based not too far from McLaren in Woking. I had some retrim work done and asked about mods to the steering wheel, there were options but the wheel had to be sent back to Germany I think, unsure of size reduction though, may be worth asking about something bespoke if budget's not an issue. Linas is a pretty clouded up chap, worth asking....All the best, M

6 hours ago, Babaa said:

Hi Araf,

That sounds like it may be a good option for me - do you remember where you had it done and the rough cost?

Thanks -- Babaa

A few people have had 986 wheels.re done by royal. @V6reu is one I beleive. 

Thanks - sounds like Royal may be the best bet, as whilst I'd consider spending a bit on this, don't exactly want to be getting to something like £300 upwards - will have a look once their website isn't so covid impacted.

On the other question I initially asked, can anyone confirm (before I possibly cause irreparable damage to them), whether on the PSM3 unit the 2 main buttons that get all sticky are just pull off & push back on so I can try to clean them up a bit?

I had it done by K Baggs Trimming in Poole (IIRC), who was a forum sponsor at the time.  It was a lot more than Royal charge, so that is where I'd go, next time.

Lineas Designs looks to turn out some cracking work too, so maybe get a price from both?

@Babaa - in terms of your steering question: is the car’s geometry and suspension all as it should be?

Am asking because what I think you’re describing as “slow” steering might be a chassis setup quirk which manifests as a lack of turn in response.

As standard a Boxster has a good bit of understeer dialled into the geometry - if the geo has wandered off factory it could well become more pronounced.

Get that geo induced understeer wound out of the geometry and you’ll discover a more responsive chassis which may well address the sensation you’re describing.

A half decent geometry “tune”  that at least puts it back to factory or goes further and dials out the factory setting’s understeer will probably cost lessthan a new aftermarket steering wheel or indeed a re-trim - folk on here recommend places with a Hunter machine to guide the alignment, my guy uses string, one open eye and only does it when the moon is waning.

It might also be worth looking at the wear/age of the tyres as tired tyres can contribute to the sensation you describe.

Have also had my steering wheel retrimmed by Royal and recommend them wholeheartedly. 

NeN2YG9.jpg

Hi map,

Maybe I've not used the best terminology to describe my perceived issue when I've said not quick or fast enough...

Generally I think it is spot on and the feedback is great - it is only when it comes to fairly tight corners / 90 degree junctions etc. where to get round the corner I'm having to apply a bit more lock / turn on the wheel than most other cars I've recently owned. So maybe it isn't that it isn't 'fast' enough for me, but it takes more turn to get round the same corner / feels like I'm having to cross my arms more than I'd expect.

On that basis my initial thoughts were that perhaps the actual amount of turning applied is the same, but as it feels like a slightly bigger steering wheel that this is what makes it feel like I'm needing to turn / cross my arms a bit more than I'd like?

Looking at what people have mentioned though it sounds like options to retain airbag and a standard Porsche wheel (without possibly considering modifying the shape), would be maybe a re-trim where no additional padding is added to the outer rim, and then I'll see if this helps. I'd hope that the geometry etc. would be ok but is something for me to consider I suppose as although fairly low mileage and did get inspected & serviced just before I bought it, geometry would be included in that I guess and may not have been looked at for some time. I don't though have any other negative symptoms or handling concerns, just would prefer it if I didn't have to turn the wheel quite so much to get round tighter corners.

Cheers 

On 7/10/2020 at 5:39 PM, Babaa said:

Thanks - sounds like Royal may be the best bet, as whilst I'd consider spending a bit on this, don't exactly want to be getting to something like £300 upwards - will have a look once their website isn't so covid impacted

There are places that will resize your steering wheel as opposed to just padding out the inside of it. 

I'm not aware of any in the uk though, and you are probably looking at more then £300.

The cheapest route would be to fit an aftermarket wheel which is what I did on my 986 as i'm not bothered about the airbag. 

6 hours ago, Babaa said:

Hi map,

Maybe I've not used the best terminology to describe my perceived issue when I've said not quick or fast enough...

Generally I think it is spot on and the feedback is great - it is only when it comes to fairly tight corners / 90 degree junctions etc. where to get round the corner I'm having to apply a bit more lock / turn on the wheel than most other cars I've recently owned. So maybe it isn't that it isn't 'fast' enough for me, but it takes more turn to get round the same corner / feels like I'm having to cross my arms more than I'd expect.

On that basis my initial thoughts were that perhaps the actual amount of turning applied is the same, but as it feels like a slightly bigger steering wheel that this is what makes it feel like I'm needing to turn / cross my arms a bit more than I'd like?

Looking at what people have mentioned though it sounds like options to retain airbag and a standard Porsche wheel (without possibly considering modifying the shape), would be maybe a re-trim where no additional padding is added to the outer rim, and then I'll see if this helps. I'd hope that the geometry etc. would be ok but is something for me to consider I suppose as although fairly low mileage and did get inspected & serviced just before I bought it, geometry would be included in that I guess and may not have been looked at for some time. I don't though have any other negative symptoms or handling concerns, just would prefer it if I didn't have to turn the wheel quite so much to get round tighter corners.

Cheers 

Too much toe in will cause "slow steering" but what you describe sounds a bit different. Either way, I'd get the geometry done. 

I'm currently running zero toe on my Cayman and whilst great for the track/smooth roads, it can be a bit fidgety on the cratered b-roads near me. That said, the pros outweigh the cons for me

I bought a replacement left hand button of the radio for the 987 2008 from Design 911, it did not fit at all. Apparently they have never had one back ? It was way different in design and failed to lock into the unit. I am just now resigned to have a sticky button.

12 hours ago, Iwazaru said:

I bought a replacement left hand button of the radio for the 987 2008 from Design 911, it did not fit at all. Apparently they have never had one back ? It was way different in design and failed to lock into the unit. I am just now resigned to have a sticky button.

Oh - in that case I guess I may just try to tape round it whilst still on the unit and clean it as carefully as possible.

Archived