Rear brake issue

Freeman

Good evening all.

Yesterday {Friday), my wife and I returned from a week’s holiday in Devon and Cornwall (just finished to clean the car), over 900 miles of fun, however, we had a small problem that still puzzles me. 

On Thursday I have noticed that every time we took a roundabout there was a metallic squeak coming from the driver’s side rear wheel, then it started to be heard during the straight and then when brakes were applied. 2-3h. later we went out to eat, a 15min. ride each way, there was no noise.
On Friday, before we left home we drove to a local garage that looks after some 911s to assure that the car is safe (no noise over 30min. ride). The car was put on a lift and inspected but nothing was found to be out of the ordinary, yet, within 5min. of leaving the garage the noise returned.
Several times, while on the M5, there was metallic noise especially when pressing the brakes and twice it felt as the brake didn’t work. Took the car to garage (unfortunately was shut) and during the 30min. round trip all worked fine.

Any ideas?

PS. 
About 2-3 weeks ago the rear calliper tubes and brake fluid were replaced.

Thank you.

Metallic rubbing noise on bends is often a bent or corroded backing plate rubbing on the disk.  Sounds dramatic but generally not an issue. 

noises when apply brakes and most significantly brakes not feeling like they ar working, have to look at pads or sticking callipers.  

odd noises that sound like brakes but have no real obvious culprits on the rear can be handbrake shoes.  They live inside the read disks, springs sometimes break etc. 

internet diagnosis at its finest there.  Could be any / none / all of the above and your really need a set of eyes and hands on the brakes but hopefully easy and quick fix.  

Thank you for all your thoughts.

When the car was on the ramp the backing plates were pulled out a bit to insure that stones can't be trap in there. I was told that the disks and the pads are all good (new were fitted 2 years ago) so this leaves the other two possibilities, handbrake shoes/spring or sticking calipers. The handbrake feels normal which leaves the caliper. 

Thanks again.

Ben

had something similar on another car a few years back - and the sporadic nature of it was due to brake disc overheating due to the pad rubbing. 

Easy to check - after you drive for a bit and the squeaking starts pull over and put your hand on the wheel centre on the side that's doing it and then the other side and you can feel the heat difference on the friction side as it warms the wheel up too.

in my case it was the brake pad that had failed and was crumbling within the brake caliper - when they took the brake off they could pull out the bits of the pad easily. 

never noticed it when wet or on short runs - only when dry and driven enough to warm everything up.

you can't see that until you remove the wheel and the brake pads out of the caliper - maybe worth a look.

Hi Frozen

The wheel and tire temps were checked by my wife and me (she is a big petrol head, in the past she went into a heads on with a major car/lorries manufacturer and came on top) and were not found to be out of the ordinary, that is the reason why it is hard for me to understand. The local garage in Devon could not find anything and my simple checks didn't provide an hint. Tomorrow I will have a chat with the garage and will arrange for a visit. 

If the caliper is sticking and not pulling the pad back it will be obvious as the lad will wear quicker, that wheel will be dirtier and after any drive it will be much hotter. 

edc/all.

Agree. Somehow I didn't think about the extra dirt so didn't look for it. Anyway, tomorrow the garage picks the car, I have passed all your thought and will update with the finding when I have them.

Thanks again

Ben

You will probably at least need to bleed through the brake fluid in that caliper and line if it's the culprit. Check the pad too for any glazing or cracking from overheating. 

Had a word from the garage.

After the wheel and disk were removed a stone and lots of dust were found by the handbrake pads. Pads and disks are undamaged.

Thanks again for your thoughts and help.

Ben

2 hours ago, Freeman said:

After the wheel and disk were removed a stone and lots of dust were found by the handbrake pads. Pads and disks are undamaged.

Ben

Glad it was an easy fix Ben.

12 hours ago, Freeman said:

Ben

good news 🙂

13 hours ago, Freeman said:

Ben

Thanks for reporting back. :)

You'd be surprised how many people your post will reassure in the future.

Archived