Bore scoring?

718as

4 minutes ago, villaman said:

Alarming !

Looks like more of a problem for our North American cousins with their E10 and E15 fuel. We are still on E5 in the UK with no requirement for ethanol to be in super unleaded fuel, and unless I've missed something I've not heard of any similar bore problems over here ....

1 hour ago, spook said:

Looks like more of a problem for our North American cousins with their E10 and E15 fuel. We are still on E5 in the UK with no requirement for ethanol to be in super unleaded fuel, and unless I've missed something I've not heard of any similar bore problems over here ....

I must say that its the first I've heard of it in the 981's, and one of the reasons ive just swopped my 997.1 for the 981.

I think this is much more likely a manufacturing defect issue rather than a design issue.  A slightly out of spec piston or ring I suspect has caused the issue here.  The 981 is old enough now with plenty of higher mileages around such that if it was any sort of widespread issue we would have heard much more about it by now.

Hey guess what if you build enough of something even to quite exacting tolerances you will get some faults.... otherwise they would be no need for warranty periods or extended warranties.

On 9/1/2020 at 1:19 PM, spook said:

I believe only Esso doesn't have any ethanol in their SUL now in the UK but I guess that will change soon given environmental pressures.

On 9/1/2020 at 8:22 PM, JonSta said:

Don't think it's going to be an epidemic.

As this was in the US, and your example is UK, that would make it a pandemic.

Great. Expect compulsory masks over your air filters.

7 minutes ago, 718as said:

how about 718s?

The most recent recall that Subaru has put into place for its engine issues was in April of 2020. 188,000 vehicles were recalled over risk of the engine stalling. This covered the 2019 Subaru Ascent, the Subaru Impreza, the Subaru Legacy, and the Subaru Outback. the problem related to a faulty fuel-pump

There's a recall out as we speak. 

Nobody's safe! 

14 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

When will this site keep score of how many boring topics get reposted and reposted?

When you become admin

Archived