@210,000 miles my car still uses zero oil and water

the baron

1 hour ago, PaulQ said:

If your car uses water, then you've got a leak. 

I expect your engine does use some oil, but if your changing it every 5k then you won't notice. 

I think you are probably right.

Only 85,000 miles on mine, and it hasn't used any oil at all.  Only 5000 miles and 12 months between oil changes in my ownership though, so I guess that helps.

I had to top up the water just after I had all the radiator pipes and hoses replaced, which I was expecting, but I've checked it regularly since and not a drop needed. 

I will take that all as a good sign of an engine in decent condition :thumbsup_anim:

My 98k miles 3.2 uses no oil either.  I've had some leaky hose joints so used some water in the past but none recently other than an incident with the header tank lid being left lose...

I do recall a Colin Chapman quote about the Lotus twin cam engine when asked by and owner about its high oil consumption, 'If it didn't use any oil, then how would you know it was being lubricated?'

190,000 miles and using no oil, but I'm also replacing every 6 months/6000 miles.  In previous years I was changing the oil at 12k miles (still 6 month intervals) and saw it drop a bar on the electronic reader.  Never had to top up, but definitely saw a tiny drop in oil over double the amount of miles.

I have owned several 986s over the years, at various mileages up to 130k. Over all that time I have rarely had to top up the oil between yearly services on any car. My Boxsters are usually daily drivers and I always carry the spare litre of oil just in case. 

Mine have used a drop here and there and it seemed to depend on what oil I was running. 

it has been noted that my engine has lived at higher revs than other members and upshifts at 6k+ rpm could be detected by the olfactory senses. recently no longer the case since switching to an American oil. 

Archived