Headlamp bulbs

Tritonkev

For standard lights, H7s if you stay strictly legal then Osram Nightbreakers, if not strictly legal there are H7 LED options, expensive Phillips ones of eBay specials but some of these do get good reviews..

Litronic xenon lights, again Osram seem to be the best D2S bulb option according to general opinion.

Perhaps a silly question, but if you replace standard H7’s for Osram Nightbreakers should you replace all 4 or just main beams.

I’m getting fed up of going reasonably quickly at night with lights as dim as a glowworms armpit.

cheers

Totally your choice but for the split few seconds you use high beams it's hardly worth the effort for a brighter bulb. 

I picked up a pair of these Phillips H7's a few weeks back and they are a significant improvement in visibility over the normal ones. They aren't quite as bright as the 150% ones on the market (they're only up to 130% brighter) but they have twice the expected lifetime (up to 450hrs compared to up to 250hrs). I've used various 150% brands in the past and found they didn't last very long so it's fingers crossed for these ones.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00NMEEV9W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Nightbreakers for me. A real improvement. I use leds for side lights and get that "white light" effect which is pretty cool looking at dusk, but when it comes to main lights you gotta stay legal so the nightbreakers were the best option I could find at the time. A decent improvement.

13 hours ago, Mudpup said:

I picked up a pair of these Phillips H7's a few weeks back and they are a significant improvement in visibility over the normal ones. They aren't quite as bright as the 150% ones on the market (they're only up to 130% brighter) but they have twice the expected lifetime (up to 450hrs compared to up to 250hrs). I've used various 150% brands in the past and found they didn't last very long so it's fingers crossed for these ones.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00NMEEV9W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks for the link, I've been looking for some new bulbs.  Was thinking of the Osram Night Breakers, but now seen these from the link.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-RacingVision-150-headlight-12972RVS2/dp/B01LWPJF1J/ref=psdc_4920144031_t1_B07H4NYVCD

11 hours ago, Sanky said:

Thanks for the link, I've been looking for some new bulbs.  Was thinking of the Osram Night Breakers, but now seen these from the link.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-RacingVision-150-headlight-12972RVS2/dp/B01LWPJF1J/ref=psdc_4920144031_t1_B07H4NYVCD

200 hour max lifetime though, thats why i dodged them..... the ones that i linked to are mistitled - they are actually 130% not 100% brighter

35 minutes ago, Mudpup said:

200 hour max lifetime though, thats why i dodged them..... the ones that i linked to are mistitled - they are actually 130% not 100% brighter

Yeah saw that, then saw the night breakers are at 150% so just went for them.

OSRAM NIGHT BREAKER LASER H7, next generation, +150% more brightness, halogen headlamp, 64210NL-HCB, 12V, passenger car, duo box (2 lamps), NIGHT BREAKER LASER next Gen (packaging may vary) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07FXRDJV7/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabc_dlC_YGxWFbQ4NPE4T

I'm using Philips Ultinons on my 986. They are a straight replacement but fitting all the wiring and control box etc inside the headlamp housing takes a bit of doing. The light is vastly better but I'm getting some RF interference that makes FM and DAB radio a bit of a pain. That's on my list of things to investigate.

Did you replace all 4 or just low beam?

I have replaced low beam with Nightbreakers and quite frankly am unimpressed overall. It’s only on main beam there seems to be a major improvement and no I haven’t put them in the high beam sockets, but I may be tempted.

Dave

Said this before, but again, from my quick reading and experience:

The average halogen bulb apparently puts out about 1400 lumens.

The average xenon bulb about 3000 lumens.

It's the law that washers should work where fitted for cars with more than 2000 lumens.  Most people think it means they must have washers, but some insist the letter of the law is "only where fitted"....

So a bulb that is 130% brighter - mathematically to me that should be 100% + 30%, so the initial 1400, + 1400 + 420 = 3220 lumens, ie as bright as xenons.  Not IME.

My guess is it actually means 30% brighter, ie 1400 + 420 = 1820 lumens. Brighter than usual but not nearly as good as xenons, and not breaching the "washer" legislation.  That is actually my experience of Osram/Philips brighter bulbs in my daily.  And while the original bulbs still worked after 7 years, two sets of 130% died after about a year each. So I was really unimpressed.

As it's my daily, and it has projector lenses rather than reflector lenses, I finally bought a HID (xenons) kit and ensured it was correctly adjusted.  It's wonderful. Dipped beam only, but that's all I need, I use high beam about five times a year.

On 12/3/2020 at 10:48 PM, Pordave said:

Did you replace all 4 or just low beam?

I have replaced low beam with Nightbreakers and quite frankly am unimpressed overall. It’s only on main beam there seems to be a major improvement and no I haven’t put them in the high beam sockets, but I may be tempted.

Dave

Just dip

Archived