Replacing 986 with 981

DeRo

Owned a 986 3.2S for last 6 years, been looking at 981s for several months. Had my eye on a low mileage 2.7pdk at the local OPC for a couple of weeks. Kept this quiet at home as a fair bit has been spent (“wasted” according to Mrs D) on cars in the last 15 years. But it did need discussing...

Me - “Er, why don’t we swap the Boxster for a newer one, they’re much nicer, more comfortable and we could get an auto…” Mrs D was anti automatic until she drove one about 10 years ago, now she loves them.

Mrs D - “We’ve got lots more important things to spend money on than another car. Like new furniture, flooring and carpets. And the bathroom needs replacing”

Me - “Oh”. None of these things needed imo but I know there’s no point debating…

I make a discrete call to the OPC during the November lockdown – dealers closed for visits and drives. Day it’s lifted the sales guy calls me at 9am. I’m test driving the car a couple of hours later. Within 30 minutes of the drive I’m leaving a deposit…

Me – “You know the things you want to buy for the house - we’ll get all that sorted next year”

Mrs D – “That would be nice”

Me – “Oh and by the way - I looked at another Boxster earlier. They offered me such a fantastic deal that I couldn’t resist it. I’ve put a deposit down and we can pick it up next week!”

Mrs D – “Well it’s your money you’re wasting. You hardly use the one we have now.” Sounded almost like an agreement to me!

We go to collect the 981. Mrs D likes how it looks in the showroom. It’s a 40 mile drive home. I do the first bit, avoiding the motorway. Get Mrs D behind the wheel for the last 20 or so quiet A road miles...

Mrs D – “Oh my god, this is flipping brilliant!” (she used a different f word tbh), flooring it in Sport in 2nd again. “Listen to the engine! It’s giving me a tingle in the stomach!! This is a brilliant car!!”

Fair to say she likes it...

And so do I.  Flipping brilliant!

Great story and a classic example of how these conversations go, congratulations and well played 👏

We had a 986 until our recently acquired 981, my wife also loves the newer version. Her view is it feels expensive, drives beautifully and is feel-good experience all round. Her only complaint is I’m too protective, cleaning and putting it away too often which somewhat takes away spontaneous decisions to use it rather than the hatchback 😊

Love it!

Just hide the keys, my wife drives my 981s like she stole it ....

Ha yes, she's more press on than me and was soon exploring the performance!

She certainly appreciates it more than the 986 - I was counting on that, despite it meaning she's more likely to get it out of the garage and get it dirty.  I think she'd only used the 986 once this year.

I try not to be too precious about cars though.  Like to keep them clean and properly maintained but ultimately I like them to be used and if it gets dirty or pick up a scratch or a chip it's not the end of the world.

It's Guards Red, pics to follow

2 hours ago, PaulQ said:

Nice one :)

My missus won't even get in mine (unless she needs a lift somewhere) let alone drive it. 

^^^ this 

She fidgets with the seat belt every 10 miles - but won't adjust the seat to compensate for discomfort. She's happy at (private road, professional driver) 100 mph on a dual carriageway but moans at a constant 50 around bends in a 50 mph road - or a brisk acceleration to speed limit from roundabout. Stopped asking or suggesting porsche about 5 pre planned trips ago where we were all set and I got " we could take my car if YOU like, then I could take a turn driving when YOU are tired" - 400 miles in a Peugeot 107 later, and although I am tired, it seems that she is tired too - and "it's a bit dark and I don't know these roads" - again - stopped asking - just  get the dog box (toyota) keys and drive "beige" for yet another trip.

Honestly, mostly, this isn't a shared pleasure.

After a collection of elises and other "raw" sports cars for the past 18 years, my recently purchased 981 is the first time that I've heard "can we take your car?" from the Mrs in a long long while.

It was one of the primary aims of my next car to have something that her, and my aging dad, would be happy to go out in - that and still being able to scratch around a country lane.  It's less capable in terms of raw exhilaration on that front but so much better in pretty much every other aspect.

Needless to say I don't think she went in this one even once.

https://imgur.com/kTgF3Y8

Mrs S was like 'not another stupid car - you won't use it - time you grew up - you never ride that motorbike etc etc'. So I bought it. Came home, she looked at it a bit sideways, later on the phone rings. Mother in law says 'what have you been doing today?'. Mrs S '- Jon bought a Porsche. It's really nice, we'll come round and show you'.

Here's the car.  No pics of Mrs D 😁.  She's busy at work this week but is expecting a drive at the weekend.

It's the best car I've owned in the 44 years I've had a licence.  Our 986 was little used and tbh I was a bit concerned Mrs D was right - an upgrade would be a waste of money.  Fortunately I was wrong and I have no regrets!  It's addictively good and if keep driving it with no where particular to go like I'm currently doing I'll hit my 5,000 pa insured miles in 6 months.  I know there are a lot of 986 fans out there but I'm not going to miss mine.  I rarely did a long journey in it - found it too noisy and uncomfortable to sit in for more than an hour.  Won't have that problem with this.

2.7 performance is definitely enough for me.  For road use in the UK I don't need more and won't be hankering after an S.   Mrs D didn't want another manual - I'm very ok with PDK and also won't be hankering after a manual.  Also ok with 18" wheels rather than anything bigger.

Never had a digital oil temperature gauge before, driven gently it really does take a while to get up to temperature up doesn't it?  I've issued instructions to Mrs D about warming it up before putting her foot to the floor.  Which I know will be completely ignored 😄

550219029_Box3-Copy.thumb.jpg.53e9a65a84a519a8809dc1feb231e102.jpg

They do take ages to warm up the oil and water, especially in the winter. I had a 987.2 for six years and chopped that in for a 981, it’s a big step up from the 987 so must appear huge from the 986. If it’s not already on the car get the PSE fitted, it sounds absolutely fantastic on the 981. I agree the 2.7 is plenty quick enough-especially in sport/sport plus, a bit more power would be nice but not necessary in my opinion. I’m also a PDK convert👍

5 minutes ago, bandit_287 said:

They do take ages to warm up the oil and water, especially in the winter. I had a 987.2 for six years and chopped that in for a 981, it’s a big step up from the 987 so must appear huge from the 986. If it’s not already on the car get the PSE fitted, it sounds absolutely fantastic on the 981. I agree the 2.7 is plenty quick enough-especially in sport/sport plus, a bit more power would be nice but not necessary in my opinion. I’m also a PDK convert👍

No PSE and tbh it wasn't on my list of must have options (PDK, PCM Nav, Heated Seats, Park Assist front and rear & Cruise.  Also has Sound Package Plus which is good enough for me)

Pretty sure I'd like it but I've read some saying that it drones a bit at motorway cruising speeds even when switched off, which I wouldn't want.  I'd need to experience one first I think.

3 minutes ago, bandit_287 said:

It’s an absolute must on a 981 trust me. I drove a 981 last week without PSE and it sounded cr@p. I promise you it’s worth the 2k, you’ll laugh every time you put your foot down. It doesn’t drone on the motorway in my experience. 

If it stays quiet on the motorway I'm very tempted! 

13 hours ago, DeRo said:

I know there are a lot of 986 fans out there but I'm not going to miss mine.  I rarely did a long journey in it - found it too noisy and uncomfortable to sit in for more than an hour.  Won't have that problem with this.

Glad you are both  enjoying the new Boxster. I think the different ways Boxsters are enjoyed is what makes them a special, great car. I indeed loved my old 986 and the fun and romance of the car enabled me to overlook any shortcomings. My wife and I did several touring holidays around France and I considered the car in its element then. I've had my licence 45 years so think you certainly made the right decision spending your money on a 981 to enjoy. We are to old to be saving for rainy days 😁

14 hours ago, DeRo said:

Here's the car.  No pics of Mrs D 😁.  She's busy at work this week but is expecting a drive at the weekend.

It's the best car I've owned in the 44 years I've had a licence.  Our 986 was little used and tbh I was a bit concerned Mrs D was right - an upgrade would be a waste of money.  Fortunately I was wrong and I have no regrets!  It's addictively good and if keep driving it with no where particular to go like I'm currently doing I'll hit my 5,000 pa insured miles in 6 months.  I know there are a lot of 986 fans out there but I'm not going to miss mine.  I rarely did a long journey in it - found it too noisy and uncomfortable to sit in for more than an hour.  Won't have that problem with this.

2.7 performance is definitely enough for me.  For road use in the UK I don't need more and won't be hankering after an S.   Mrs D didn't want another manual - I'm very ok with PDK and also won't be hankering after a manual.  Also ok with 18" wheels rather than anything bigger.

Never had a digital oil temperature gauge before, driven gently it really does take a while to get up to temperature up doesn't it?  I've issued instructions to Mrs D about warming it up before putting her foot to the floor.  Which I know will be completely ignored 😄

550219029_Box3-Copy.thumb.jpg.53e9a65a84a519a8809dc1feb231e102.jpg

Looks good in Red with black interior.

53 minutes ago, Topbox said:

Glad you are both  enjoying the new Boxster. I think the different ways Boxsters are enjoyed is what makes them a special, great car. I indeed loved my old 986 and the fun and romance of the car enabled me to overlook any shortcomings. My wife and I did several touring holidays around France and I considered the car in its element then. I've had my licence 45 years so think you certainly made the right decision spending your money on a 981 to enjoy. We are to old to be saving for rainy days 😁

I appreciated the 986 for what it was but other than an occasional drive going nowhere in particular we'd just stopped using it - c. 1500 miles in last 2 years. 

And good point about being too old to save for a rainy day, significant factor in the purchase!  I'm a couple of years retired.  When reviewing my pensions and savings with advisers I was reminded a couple of times I'd worked a long time and not to just focus on what I'd leave after I'd gone!

30 minutes ago, GTSMarky said:

Looks good in Red with black interior.

Had to be that combination.  Couldn't have anything but black interior.  Even red seat belts are a no for me 🙂

On 12/17/2020 at 8:17 PM, bandit_287 said:

It’s an absolute must on a 981 trust me. I drove a 981 last week without PSE and it sounded cr@p. I promise you it’s worth the 2k, you’ll laugh every time you put your foot down. It doesn’t drone on the motorway in my experience. 

I'd have to agree, even though mine has a lot of the option boxes ticked the only 'essentials' that immediately spring to mind for the next one are the PSE, and most likely the leather dash and paddle wheel if PDK.

I actually find the PSE a bit subtle if anything, when not doing the snap crackle pop.

Archived