Door sills scratched and scraped.

Remodot

I’ve had my car just over 2 years now and the driver side door sill (the plastic surround around the boot, frunk switch which I replaced last year) has bugged me from the day I got it, so time to fix or replace. There are scratches, scrapes and chips on the sill, guessing high heels of hard soled shoes. Anyone tried to fix the scratches and scrapes? I think the lighter scratches might come out with a bit of elbow grease and compound but the scrapes and what looks like chips are deeper. I have looked on line for used but all seem to be just as bad if not worse. Is there anything which can be used and won’t effect the finish/texture? Or just bite the bullet and get new ones

Thanks

6 minutes ago, Remodot said:

I’ve had my car just over 2 years now and the driver side door sill (the plastic surround around the boot, frunk switch which I replaced last year) has bugged me from the day I got it, so time to fix or replace. There are scratches, scrapes and chips on the sill, guessing high heels of hard soled shoes. Anyone tried to fix the scratches and scrapes? I think the lighter scratches might come out with a bit of elbow grease and compound but the scrapes and what looks like chips are deeper. I have looked on line for used but all seem to be just as bad if not worse. Is there anything which can be used and won’t effect the finish/texture? Or just bite the bullet and get new ones

Thanks

If they were bugging me that much I'd buy new, you just know what will happen within 5 mins of fitting them though...

Guy at the link below talks about using Black Laquer and apparently had a result, no experience of doing this mind.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/623138-diy-refurbishing-door-sill-scuff-plate.html

Yes I've thought of painting them with a plasicote type paint, might just do that before buying new ones. I know they are very easily caught when. Entering or leaving the car, as it the speaker cover, which thankfully is OK.

Just now, RickLS7 said:

Now that is cheap, I think I paid somewhere around £90 last year 😭😭

7 minutes ago, thanatoid said:

That's IT then, stop wearing high heels 🙂

I only wear them at the weekends!!

I put clear 3m film over my sills,( just the area from start of plastic sill protector to just in front of the switch panel), very similar stuff to the film adjacent to the rear intakes in front of the wheels. I just swap it when it gets annoyingly scuffed. Take s 20 mins.

For

example:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Scotchgard-Clear-Protection-48-inches-Defender/dp/B004VG88MQ/ref=pd_lpo_263_img_1/261-8832821-8212107?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B004VG88MQ&pd_rd_r=5c3f8e79-320c-47d2-8807-2db78fdc937c&pd_rd_w=CjOrn&pd_rd_wg=Hmdty&pf_rd_p=7b8e3b03-1439-4489-abd4-4a138cf4eca6&pf_rd_r=T7VNRHHBZQG2TJB3TK4M&psc=1&refRID=T7VNRHHBZQG2TJB3TK4M

9 minutes ago, andygo said:

I put clear 3m film over my sills,( just the area from start of plastic sill protector to just in front of the switch panel), very similar stuff to the film adjacent to the rear intakes in front of the wheels. I just swap it when it gets annoyingly scuffed. Take s 20 mins.

For

example:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Scotchgard-Clear-Protection-48-inches-Defender/dp/B004VG88MQ/ref=pd_lpo_263_img_1/261-8832821-8212107?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B004VG88MQ&pd_rd_r=5c3f8e79-320c-47d2-8807-2db78fdc937c&pd_rd_w=CjOrn&pd_rd_wg=Hmdty&pf_rd_p=7b8e3b03-1439-4489-abd4-4a138cf4eca6&pf_rd_r=T7VNRHHBZQG2TJB3TK4M&psc=1&refRID=T7VNRHHBZQG2TJB3TK4M

Good idea, 👍

8 minutes ago, Remodot said:

Good idea, 👍

Helps to fit on a warmer day, or have an assistant with a hair dryer to warm everything up. I also use a plastic body filler or wrap squidgee to eliminate any bubbles.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/UKCutter-CAR-001Z-Professional-Squeegee-Applicator/dp/B00ET4AWQU/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=plastic+film+applicator&qid=1609100540&sr=8-5

2 hours ago, Remodot said:

Thanks

i covered mine in a sill protector.

Hi All, I had a go at removing the scratches etc myself, quite successfully. I removed the trim and rubbed it down with 180 grit paper then 400 grit. I then sprayed with paint from Tool Station, https://www.toolstation.com/industrial-spray-paint-500ml/p80525 rubbing down with 2500 grit between coats, 3 coats in total. Results are very good, I think someone a bit more skilled could get perfect results. I will post pictures latter. I also plan to cover them with protective film before reinstalling them.

I did look for replacement trim but the used ones I saw on line were as bad if not worse and crazy prises considering the condition. New was around £239 for driver side and around £98 for passenger side. To be fair the driver side included the switch which I already replaced last year.

Thanks folks, I think a 4th coat might have started to reduce the texture. I have now put on some self healing PPF which I had spare but not sure I like it. It’s shinny and seems to be very static and attracting dust. Think I will probably remove it. Car is in garage over winter so will wait and see once I’m using it again. 

I think I can be careful without PPF getting in and out of the car but wife or one of the grand kids in passenger side probably not as careful. Plus when in being serviced etc out with my control. 

I always scrape mine (and kick the speaker) when I can't get the door fully open - size 11 feet and "don't hit the freezer with door" in the garage don't mix well and it bugs me every time I do it. Almost as much as touching my previously unmarked alloy on a kerb while parking outside work and trying too hard to snug it up too close.

I think this is a great refinish piece of work and something that I have added to my list of things to do one day when the "witness marks" are too much.

Totally agree with the sentiments re "others" - my family (wife and 3 daughters) are VERY heavy handed with anything mechanical - to the point where they were not allowed to work the doors in the Jag, the Audi and now the Porsche themselves..... forget 53G and 137MPH impacts in F1 - if you want to know how a composite panel will stand up to stress, fashion it into a car door and let my family close it, and if you want extreme - make sure it doesn't latch properly when slammed - because then they will REALLY try to close it.

Archived