Leaving the bonnet on the catch

Cheddar Bob

4 minutes ago, Cheddar Bob said:

Does anyone else leave the bonnet on the catch for a just in case the batter dies moment? 

Will it set off the alarm?

I don't think it would set off the alarm, but rather have the alarm to 'chirp' once as you arm the car to notify that one alarm circuit is open.

BUT, whent the bonnet lid is open for a very long time, he frunk light will be lit and drain the battery - maybe damage the boot light lense also by heating it excessively...

I leave it on the catch while it’s connected to the trickle charger on the drive. The alarm will beep once if the micro switch isn’t closed, but if I just press it down a bit it will lock without a beep.

2 minutes ago, pacificjuha said:

I don't think it would set off the alarm, but rather have the alarm to 'chirp' once as you arm the car to notify that one alarm circuit is open.

BUT, whent the bonnet lid is open for a very long time, he frunk light will be lit and drain the battery - maybe damage the boot light lense also by heating it excessively...

I'll test that by putting my phone on the frunk on record. See what happens. 👍👍

5 minutes ago, Cheddar Bob said:

I'll test that by putting my phone on the frunk on record. See what happens. 👍👍

Or assuming getting power to it is no issue, stick it on a trickle charger which uses the ciggy socket and you can leave the door shut on without having to worry about a knackered battery or leaving the frunk open.  This is what I do, doesn't of course make it right for you or your car.

I'll leave the trickle charger brand name out of it, wars have been started for less.

Always wondered why flat batteries cause so many headaches with opening the frunk.

Until today I learned something.

I hadn’t used the car for 5 days and when I went to unlock it the fob didn’t open the car, so I put the key in the door, turned the key and the alarm went off. Put the key in the ignition and the alarm stopped but on trying the frunk lever and rear boot levers they were locked in place. I had to remove the key, lock and unlock the car and hey presto the levers worked. I  had always assumed that the frunk lever would open the lid if you could open the door but not so.

Happy new year to all Boxsterers.

Dave

22 minutes ago, Cheddar Bob said:

Chaps I put my phone in the frunk and the boot and checked. 

video says it all. Seems to be dark in there if you ask me.

Agreed.  And I enjoyed your Blair Witch style presentation 😇

When I was replacing my frunk trim and faffing with other things in there I just removed the entire light, ergo no flat battery. Same with the boot when I had all that out. Just pull it out and unclip, surely?!

Does it have to be outside? I use the Ring 6w panel that can be propped up in the windscreen (bit large for that though, but it needs to be that size to cope with the battery I  believe).

Was nervous for some time as there is no indication that it is working. But after my battery lasted 7 years and never failed to start even after 6 weeks or more, I guess it works.

Mine goes into the cig socket, but do check the stories about whether the cig socket is/stays live, it seems a bit complicated.

Re the trickle charger I also use one but the wire to the battery fits easily between the windscreen and the bonnet.  I have attached the CTEK connector to the battery and leave it permanently connected so that all I do is plug the charger into it when I want to use it. There seems to be enough room and doesn't pinch the wire at all. Not sure if this is a good way of doing it or not.  Mine is garaged overnight which makes this possible.

15 hours ago, Pordave said:

Always wondered why flat batteries cause so many headaches with opening the frunk.

Until today I learned something.

I hadn’t used the car for 5 days and when I went to unlock it the fob didn’t open the car, so I put the key in the door, turned the key and the alarm went off. Put the key in the ignition and the alarm stopped but on trying the frunk lever and rear boot levers they were locked in place. I had to remove the key, lock and unlock the car and hey presto the levers worked. I  had always assumed that the frunk lever would open the lid if you could open the door but not so.

Happy new year to all Boxsterers.

Dave

It is designed to do this.

After circa 1 week all 986 key heads will go into sleep mode and stop communicating with the car.

You will need to unlock the car with the and start the car within 10 seconds to stop the alarm sounding. Once you have done this, the key will be synchronised once again and will work remotely. 

15 hours ago, T11Mike said:

Every day is a school day. I didn't know that would happen thought the old ones were cables? but i do have an optimiser connected.

All the best

The early 986's are cables but these are connected to the central locking system meaning you still will not be able to open the trunk. 

Power to the centra locking fuse is all that is required. 

2 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

Does it have to be outside? I use the Ring 6w panel that can be propped up in the windscreen (bit large for that though, but it needs to be that size to cope with the battery I  believe).

Was nervous for some time as there is no indication that it is working. But after my battery lasted 7 years and never failed to start even after 6 weeks or more, I guess it works.

Mine goes into the cig socket, but do check the stories about whether the cig socket is/stays live, it seems a bit complicated.

No it doesn't. I've read that the 12v chargers from the inside of the car drain the battery. I'll Google the ring one thank you

@Cheddar Bob I use a CTEK MX5 charger plugged into the cig lighter socket on my 2002 986 S and it stays live all the time. Been doing this for 4-5 years now, never had a problem. It stays on the charger till I use the car, then goes back on it.

Mines kept like this at all times in the garage 

My ctek wire comes out through the bonnet to the wall socket.

The under bonnet light does go out, ( I've fitted LEDs) 

No problems whatsoever 

Archived