Leaving the bonnet on the catch

Cheddar Bob

On 12/31/2020 at 9:21 PM, iborguk said:

iirc it's approx 2 hours or pull the bulb (that'll switch it off).

Just found this in the 101 boxster projects book

If the ignition key is removed, accessories such as the trunk lamp, interior lamp, radio, etc will be switched off automatically after approximately two hours. If the car is locked, then these will switch off after 10 minutes.

4 minutes ago, dunks said:

Just found this in the 101 boxster projects book

If the ignition key is removed, accessories such as the trunk lamp, interior lamp, radio, etc will be switched off automatically after approximately two hours. If the car is locked, then these will switch off after 10 minutes.

Every day is a school day, thanks 😀

As I alluded above, I think it's different for different models. Or particularly/instead, whether the cig lighter works.  I had understood mine works for ?30 mins unless something is plugged into it and then it works continuously.  Trouble is, I have no operating lights on my solar panel so I have no idea.  All I know is, battery seems to last for ages.  I assume the panel is charging then. I'd got the impression it's not the same for the 986, or earlier 986.

14 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

As I alluded above, I think it's different for different models. Or particularly/instead, whether the cig lighter works.  I had understood mine works for ?30 mins unless something is plugged into it and then it works continuously.  Trouble is, I have no operating lights on my solar panel so I have no idea.  All I know is, battery seems to last for ages.  I assume the panel is charging then. I'd got the impression it's not the same for the 986, or earlier 986.

@TROOPER88 @Richard HamiltonCan anyone please confirm which 986 model years have a live/"hot" cig lighter socket if something is left plugged into it ? - Thanks

Out of curiosity I tested my 987.2 frunk light with the frunk latch open and with the car locked it goes out at 10 mins.

Interestingly no mention of "10 mins load switch-off on lock" in my manual, even though the frunk light behaves that way.

On my car the cig lighter stays live/"hot" if something is plugged in.

In case it's ever useful re a comparison this is what my manual says re load switch-off

8 minutes ago, iborguk said:

Yes re the cig lighter behaviour there are apparently variations within the 986 based on year (again learnt something new there)

Out of curiosity I tested my 987.2 frunk light with the frunk latch open and with the car locked it also goes out at 10 mins.

No mention of "10 mins load switch-off on lock" in my manual.  

On my car the cig lighter stays live if something is plugged in.

This is what my manual says

50792225818_b545c7e92f_b.jpg

987.2 just lift the door handle to wake if its gone  to 7 day sleep.  No need to do the key dance. 

Just now, Paul P said:

987.2 just lift the door handle to wake if its gone  to 7 day sleep.  No need to do the key dance. 

Yes the one time I've allowed mine to sleep that's how I did it - despite what the manual says.

14 hours ago, iborguk said:

@Richard HamiltonCan anyone please confirm which 986 model years have a live/"hot" cig lighter socket if something is left plugged into it ? - Thanks

The 986 pre-facelift cig lighter has a Terminal 86s feed, which is switched on when the ignition is switched on, and switched off when the key is removed.  On facelift cars, the cig lighter socket is permanently live.

Edit: No clever sensing on the 986 - it is all hard wired.

3 minutes ago, Richard Hamilton said:

The 986 pre-facelift cig lighter has a Terminal 86s feed, which is switched on when the ignition is switched on, and switched off when the key is removed.  On facelift cars, the cig lighter socket is permanently live.

Edit: No clever sensing on the 986 - it is all hard wired.

Thanks Richard. 

Archived