Ebay Quickshift - is it worth it??

dpg123

Hi everyone,

A couple of years ago I bought an ebay quickshift kit (already fully assembled) from a member on here who decided against fitting it to their car after they bought it. As with many of these projects, the kit ended up sitting on a shelf waiting to be fitted and it never was. I've been reading and there seems to be mixed opinions on these. Are they worth fitting? Some people say it's the best mod you can do to a 986, others say they hate it! I'm trying to decide whether to fit this or offer it up on the forum so it can take up space on their shelf instead of mine...

My view is that if you've had your car a while and never felt the gearshift needed improving then leave it be. 

The eBay ones are very short and quite snickety. Great when you are on it and in the mood not so good on a city commuter. For me the best of both worlds is the OE shortshift with the metal bearings or the 987 shifter again with the metal bearings. 

For me when I got my first 986 and went for a fast shift to third and nearly punched a hole in the dash ie the first drive, I needed to change the standard shifter for something else!

Not sure, but I think I'm right in saying these are not particularly hard to fit and the process can easily be reversed? So if you want to try, go ahead?

(I think there was something about nipping off a bit of plastic somewhere but it was not crucial).

Ed's point is relevant though - if you didn't feel you needed it before, why bother now.

I recall comments that they can be rather notchy when cold. As with many things, a matter of taste.

i have one in my 2000s. it is a very mechanical feel and is similar to the feel you get when using a gated manual. i only use my car as a weekend / fun car so the notchy feel is fine and feel purposful. it is not a smooth as my original shifter but it is a lot tighter and there is no play which was annoying me.

Personally i dont regret at all fitting it and over the past couple of months ive become very used to it and havent missed a shift once. when your on it with the roof down its great. really feels like the car is tight and reminds me of a TVR griffiths i drove in the early 2000's just slam the small stick through the gears. 

all in all for the £35 its been a good improvement. i would advise taking it apart and greasing the bearings as mine came with no grease. fitting wise took me about 25 mins once i had taken the shifter out. its really simple. 

I fitted mine a few months after getting my 987.2 I always felt the shift was not as tight as it could have been. The car had only done 29K miles, but hoped it would tighten up the shift action. Mine came as a LHD, but it’s easy to turn the lever round to RHD.

It did feel tighter and I liked the new shorter throw. Not as smooth as I would have wanted, but better than it was.
As said it takes about 30mins and could be reversed although the new aluminium bushes would need to remain as you need to cut out the old nylon bearings. You could drive it for a while without refitting the console to see if you like it.

I fitted one last year and makes a massive difference , the only thing i'll say though is that after removing the center tunnel last week to send it off for some work, there are quite a lot of plastic shavings around the quick shift , so not sure how long it will last

I like mine with the short shift, takes a bit of getting use too.  But the shift is  just nice and crisp.

I did grease the bushings up before fitting and I still have the original one.  If I ever decide to refit it, but I can’t see that happening.

16 minutes ago, Sanky said:

I like mine with the short shift, takes a bit of getting use too.  But the shift is  just nice and crisp.

I did grease the bushings up before fitting and I still have the original one.  If I ever decide to refit it, but I can’t see that happening.

I fitted one, I liked it but my partner could not get on with it, begrudgingly I swopped in a 987 shifter, didn’t dare admit after I pulled my face so much, but the 987 shifter was far superior!!

1 hour ago, bally4563 said:

I fitted one, I liked it but my partner could not get on with it, begrudgingly I swopped in a 987 shifter, didn’t dare admit after I pulled my face so much, but the 987 shifter was far superior!!

Was that a 987 shifter or the 987 short shifter?

only issue with these is the price, I would need to try it.

Thanks for all the opinions! I think I'll go ahead and give this a try. I'll grease the bushings first. If it's no good I can always swap back...I'll probablky not do this for a week or so but I'll let you all know what I think...

If you have it fitted in a cradle already then it's much quicker and easier. No cutting of old nylon bushes required. 

2 hours ago, edc said:

If you have it fitted in a cradle already then it's much quicker and easier. No cutting of old nylon bushes required. 

It's in it's cradle already so like you said, hopefully a quick fit!

What's the group thought on having the centre console repaired whilst it's out - is there a way to regain the factory black finish (unscratched)?

3 hours ago, dpg123 said:

It's in it's cradle already so like you said, hopefully a quick fit!

What's the group thought on having the centre console repaired whilst it's out - is there a way to regain the factory black finish (unscratched)?

I asked a similar question a year or so ago.  There is apparently not a refinishing option back to the textured factory finish other than a new purchase (around £500 from Porsche part number 996 552 125 03 A03).  Common solutions are to rub back and paint to match/contrast with your body colour.  The other is to trim in leather, faux leather, alcantara etc. or a carbon fibre or other effect vinyl wrap to personalise.

i gave mine a light rub down where the rubber had worn and then put a fair few coats of plastidip on the console. its gives you a very factory style look to the console and a slightly rubber feel. 

i used two cans of plastidip on my console. 

22 hours ago, Jord said:

i gave mine a light rub down where the rubber had worn and then put a fair few coats of plastidip on the console. its gives you a very factory style look to the console and a slightly rubber feel. 

i used two cans of plastidip on my console. 

Thanks Jord,

Has it been durable?

On 1/27/2021 at 2:16 PM, dpg123 said:

Thanks Jord,

Has it been durable?

so far so good, i did it about 1000 miles ago so a couple of month use of the car. 

• 2 weeks later...

Fitted those kits in two of my 986 Boxsters and never regretted it for a minute , my 987 had the factory short shift, which I have to say felt even better.

Archived