986 to 987

Tritonkev

Think of the work you've done on the 986 that'd probably need doing on a not much younger 987 and the 987 will have cost you more.  987 is certainly an updated interior but that has dated possibly more than the 986.  Also more standard toys certainly than if you have an earlier 986S.

I was asking myself this same question before i bought my 986S. I drove a few 987s and they just didnt give me the same excitement that i got from the 986. If i was after a daily driver i probably would have bought a 987. But for pure weekend thrills the 986 gave me more.

14 hours ago, Tritonkev said:

Is the 987 much better than the 986

I have a good 986s but is the 987 worth the extra cash 

If you have a good 986s I dont think you will gain any extra joy from a 987 version. I had a nice 986 which broke, I now have a 987.2. Very nice, perfectly happy but you dont think wow,  this is so much more fun/better. The major difference to me is the 986 cabin is more snug with the roof down. Oh and my wife likes the A/C in the 987 which the 986 did not have.

11 hours ago, Angrybear said:

If i was after a daily driver i probably would have bought a 987. But for pure weekend thrills the 986 gave me more.

This is a good summary of many opinions I've seen on here.

I tried both before I bought my 04 3.2  986 s , the 987 is a little roomier and looks a bit more modern ,but personally  I don't like the dash in the 987  the 986 feel a bit more raw ,so for me as a fun / weekend car I went for the facelift 986s 

It’s all personal choice having owned quite a few of both, my foot is definitely in the 987 camp, just a better car , more room, better looks, more grown up, as said prior personal choice.But it was the 986 that got me into all of this delight!!

The 986 is the last of the true analogue Porsches, its smaller and more raw, the interior has dated better than the 987 and I think is better quality if you have the full leather pack, it’s also classed now as a true classic car due to its age.

I have previously owned a 987 Boxster S and a 987 Cayman S both manual cars I now have a 986 Boxster S Tiptronic much as I loved my two 987 cars there is something about the 986 that makes it my pick of the three just the way it goes down the road and as others have said it’s a more analog car my 986 also has the PSE which I absolutely love it brings a smile to my face every time I hit the fast pedal I have also added the paddles to my steering wheel which also makes the driving experience so much better 

Always thought I’d graduate to a 987, but financially I don’t think I can justify it. Currently I’m selling my 986 but not to move to a 987 though. I need to cut my running costs due to the fact I am now part time rather than full time ( due to Covid ) so a 987 is a no no.

I’ve found the 986 a perfect fit. Fast enough for our roads, comfortable and unbelievably practical luggage wise. I can get as much in the boot and frunk as I could in my others half’s Evoke. ( and it’s a lot more reliable! )

Would I ever have a 987? Absolutely.

2 hours ago, andyl62 said:

Always thought I’d graduate to a 987, but financially I don’t think I can justify it. Currently I’m selling my 986 but not to move to a 987 though. I need to cut my running costs due to the fact I am now part time rather than full time ( due to Covid ) so a 987 is a no no.

I’ve found the 986 a perfect fit. Fast enough for our roads, comfortable and unbelievably practical luggage wise. I can get as much in the boot and frunk as I could in my others half’s Evoke. ( and it’s a lot more reliable! )

Would I ever have a 987? Absolutely.

👍

20 minutes ago, bally4563 said:

👍

Covid forced me to sell my beloved Mercedes SL500 in the summer, I was very sad to see it go. Happily an unexpected change of circumstances put me into my first Porsche just days after Christmas. I hope things turn out well for you.  

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/wRl0wer"  ><a href="//imgur.com/a/wRl0wer">My beloved Merc</a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Archived