Battery replacement

Kersh

Hi,

I've just ordered a replacement battery, like for like with the Bosch which is currently fitted.

When I remove the battery is there anything I should do, so that I get a smooth 're-boot' of the can-bus system when the new battery is connected. What error codes would I expect, and radio codes etc?

Interestingly I have a bluetooth battery monitor fitted, and the Ctek charge indicator both correctly hardwired onto the battery/car. The Ctek is indicating low charge on the battery, but the Bluetooth module is saying all okay! I ordered the new battery as I didn't know the age/condition, so just playing safe.

1 hour ago, BBB said:

You can get code savers that allow you to connect a battery to the OBDII port. This keeps the ECU powered while you swap the battery. They are very cheap on Amazon.

That's a really good idea, but wouldn't connecting a 12v source across the battery leads before you take them off achieve the same thing? A regular battery charger would work well. 

@KershAnother option re memory saver - I didn't fancy sticking one into my OBD II, plugs into cigarette socket and requires a donor battery.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Draper-SMS-22277-Socket-Memory/dp/B008H14SH0/ref=sr_1_2?crid=1UH2Z5K89LCDP&dchild=1&keywords=draper+memory+saver&qid=1615802601&sprefix=draper+memory+%2Caps%2C148&sr=8-2

54 minutes ago, zcacogp said:

That's a really good idea, but wouldn't connecting a 12v source across the battery leads before you take them off achieve the same thing? A regular battery charger would work well. 

Yes, I’m sure it would work just as well. I had a battery changed on my 535D and watched the garage use the OBD port and it kept all the codes so I bought the connector. It seems to eliminate the risk of your connections coming off the battery leads during the swapover. 

I thought you just needed to leave the key in the ignition when changing the battery?  That's all I did when I fitted a new battery to my old 987, and everything worked fine.

3 minutes ago, Davey P said:

I thought you just needed to leave the key in the ignition when changing the battery?  That's all I did when I fitted a new battery to my old 987, and everything worked fine.

What battery you got in the new one ? Pork original or something else ? If pork original you can see the week and year stamp of manufacture on the negative battery terminal.

1 minute ago, iborguk said:

What battery you got in the new one ? Pork original or something else ? If pork original you can see the week and year stamp of manufacture on the negative battery terminal.

Dunno mate, I haven't even opened the bonnet yet :lol:

Over the winter my battery ran flat, started fine with one of the small booster things - very impressed with that, anyway since then the steering wheel airbag light has been on, is there a simple reset without recoding hook up?

Previously when switching battery, I'd hook up a spare battery and keep a power source supplied, seemed to work, old battery and couple of bits of cable...

59 minutes ago, thanatoid said:

Over the winter my battery ran flat, started fine with one of the small booster things - very impressed with that, anyway since then the steering wheel airbag light has been on, is there a simple reset without recoding hook up?

Previously when switching battery, I'd hook up a spare battery and keep a power source supplied, seemed to work, old battery and couple of bits of cable...

Airbag light isn't a usual symptom of battery disconnect/flat, and there isn't a simple reset - some more advanced generic code readers will reset it ( assuming there isn't an underlying fault - otherwise, it simply "come on again" immediately ) - think you need something that can do "SRS" but don't quote me on that.

Never realised it could be an issue swopped out at least four batteries on different cars, just leaving key in the first position, to prevent being deafened!! with the alarm, never had an issue, with nothing other than PSM and ABS showing, that cleared after 30 yards up the road.

As others have said typical “best case” Is PSM errors that go away after a trip round the block and having to teach the windows top and bottom of travel so one touch open and closing works.  

longer disconnects (don’t know how long is long but I imagine days or weeks ) or flat battery for a long time can make the car go into “transit” mode where it forgets things like heated seats and that requires a handover reset with Porsche diags 

1 hour ago, DaveEFI said:

Is an AGM worth the approximate double price? In the UK, standard Bosch has a 4 year warranty - AGM 5.

AGM has more punch, if I understand correctly. I like my car best when it starts!😁

On 3/25/2021 at 6:11 PM, McDonald said:

AGM has more punch, if I understand correctly. I like my car best when it starts!😁

AGM are normally only fitted to cars with stop/start. Don't have any problems with my 987 starting, so an AGM would only be worth it if it lasted twice as long or more.

13 hours ago, McDonald said:

My SL500 (2004) needed an AGM battery. No silly stop/start option there. More punch.

If your 987 has starting problems with a non AGM battery in good condition, it needs investigating.

Archived