Which ignition coils ?

Bradders59

Been looking at a set of Beru coils for my year 2000 2.7. The Beru part number on the coils is ZS178.

When I tried to check they were the correct ones for my car on the Beru online catalogue, it gives a choice of two.  Boxster 2.7  208bhp.  From 06/99 - 12/02. ZS177.

Second option. Boxster 2.7  M96.22.  217bhp.  From 08/99 -  07/02.  ZS178.

I didnt know there was a 208bhp version, but my question is, how do I tell which version I have so I know if the ZS178 is the correct part for my car ?

Tia.

I just normally type my reg into Eurocarparts and go from there

Si

2 hours ago, Bradders59 said:

Been looking at a set of Beru coils for my year 2000 2.7. The Beru part number on the coils is ZS178.

When I tried to check they were the correct ones for my car on the Beru online catalogue, it gives a choice of two.  Boxster 2.7  208bhp.  From 06/99 - 12/02. ZS177.

Second option. Boxster 2.7  M96.22.  217bhp.  From 08/99 -  07/02.  ZS178.

I didnt know there was a 208bhp version, but my question is, how do I tell which version I have so I know if the ZS178 is the correct part for my car ?

Tia.

There isn't a 208 or 211PS version unless it is US market?  ZS178 seems to be what people use.  997 602 107 02 is the Porsche part number you are looking to match.  Autodoc has good cross reference to part numbers for both the main marque and other suppliers even if you don't buy from them.

2 hours ago, Bradders59 said:

Ive never used Ali express, Ive only just started using Amazon. Will go take a look. Thanks.

Blimey, I don't think Ali Express would be my first choice for buying anything, with the exception of their well known wheel centre badges.  Engine parts though? Er, no thanks :lol: 

9 hours ago, T911UK said:

ZS177 up to 2002

ZS178 2003 on

Parts cat has shorter fitting bolts for the later models (25mm vs 40mm), as far as you are aware is there any other difference apart from the depth of the bolt holes on the shoulders of the pack?  i.e. other than using the correct bolts are the interchangeable?

I suspect the Ali express coils are Chinese knock off, but I could be wrong.

If the only difference between the 177 / 178 is the length of the bolts, then reusing the old bolts shouldnt be a problem.

It would be nice to know for definite.

1 hour ago, beaks said:

best I've seen for the ZS178's are £142 delivered from AutoDoc.

if anyone knows of anywhere cheaper (aside from AliExpress) would be good to know.

Well spotted, that's a good price. I'm about to start shopping for car bits.

2 minutes ago, McDonald said:

Well spotted, that's a good price. I'm about to start shopping for car bits.

it's always a better price using their app as well. happy shopping bud.

6 minutes ago, beaks said:

it's always a better price using their app as well. happy shopping bud.

Didn't know they had an app... Cheers.. just installed it. 👍🏽

I could be wrong, but I think some of the later Beru jokers had the metal sleeve where the bolt goes through added to strength up the coil body... hence the change in part number...?

1 hour ago, Bradders59 said:

I suspect the Ali express coils are Chinese knock off, but I could be wrong.

So the same as ecp and cp4l then lol hush my mouth...

2 hours ago, fizz said:

5qxphqW.jpg

So what part number is this then? Doesn't match the ones I've bought. Unless it's old?

Looks like a shorter bolt version which would be right for you model in your profile.  The Beru part number in the picture doesn't turn up much in a search so could have been up issued.  ZS178 would be you option.

3 hours ago, beaks said:

I could be wrong, but I think some of the later Beru jokers had the metal sleeve where the bolt goes through added to strength up the coil body... hence the change in part number...?

Had a look at pics of both types and they both have metal inserts in the bolt holes. The physical difference that I can see is that the 177 has ribs near the top of the rubber part presumably to keep water out, but the 178 doesnt.

I would really like to know if its possible to interchange them as I can get a set of nearly new 178,s for a very good price.

Archived