981 Boxster GTS

JurassicBGTS

As per my introduction in the newbie section, having owned my Macan GTS for 6 months and being so impressed, I am starting to wonder if I should progress from my current weekend toy an immaculate F-Type V6s convertible to a 981 Boxster GTS.

I really like the look of the white GTS that Imperial cars, Chelmsford have in stock.

Does anyone on here know the car? Was it a forum members car? Anyone had any dealings with Imperial and can share their experience.

Many thanks Rob

Edited by JurassicGTS
Spelling

11 minutes ago, JurassicGTS said:

I am starting to wonder if I should progress from my current weekend toy an immaculate F-Type V6s convertible to a 981 Boxster GTS.

I don't think you will get many people on here trying to talk you out of it mate :lol:

1 hour ago, JurassicGTS said:

As per my introduction in the newbie section, having owned my Macan GTS for 6 months and being so impressed, I am starting to wonder if I should progress from my current weekend toy an immaculate F-Type V6s convertible to a 981 Boxster GTS.

I really like the look of the white GTS that Imperial cars, Chelmsford have in stock.

Does anyone on here know the car? Was it a forum members car? Anyone had any dealings with Imperial and can share their experience.

Many thanks Rob

Yes is the short and simple answer!

2 hours ago, JurassicGTS said:

Many thanks Rob

Rob

ive taken a look, I don’t know the car or dealer, but on the face of it it does look like a nice one with low miles and a good spec. Only thing I can see missing, which is a personal thing is cruise control. This can be retro fitted anyway. Again, personal thing but suggest you consider some form of grills for the front vents and have the rads and ac condensers checked over. 

I’ve just picked up a forum members GTS, my 3rd 981 boxster and have to say it’s the best yet. 

Good luck with the purchase 

2 hours ago, tcornet said:

Rob

ive taken a look, I don’t know the car or dealer, but on the face of it it does look like a nice one with low miles and a good spec. Only thing I can see missing, which is a personal thing is cruise control. This can be retro fitted anyway. Again, personal thing but suggest you consider some form of grills for the front vents and have the rads and ac condensers checked over. 

I’ve just picked up a forum members GTS, my 3rd 981 boxster and have to say it’s the best yet. 

Good luck with the purchase 

Thanks for the tips re the rads and condenses. I would probably have cruise retrofitted although on UK roads standard cruise isn't great, whereas the ACC on the Macan is awesome.

3 hours ago, GTSMarky said:

Perhaps x2 GTS Porsche vehicles will undo the specialness (apologies if that's not a proper word!) that makes the GTS what it is.

Jag is a bigger comfier motor, but then you know that.

Hmmm! Hadn't really though about that. We are past the age of thrashing around and tend to use it for weekend cruising, so the Jag does suit and the wife loves it, so that will be one of the biggest challenges. I do always get itchy feet after 4 years of ownership, so best to test drive one to see how it compares.

I would prefer to buy a forum known car, so may wait and see what crops up.

Are there any reliability issues that keep occuring? Do people tend to feel Porsche warranty is essential on a 981? I wouldn't run the Macan without and also have the Jag on extended warranty..it's had a diff at 2 years, a well known issue, but nothing else so far. Interestingly the Jag warranty is more expensive than the Porsche equivalent.

You'll get mixed views on warranty some like the peace of mind which is understandable some put the cash in the bank and hope they don't have to use it.

I subscribe to the latter but then the mileage is low, and it's not used daily. I'm also relatively handy at fault finding and preventative fixes and my car was well prepared when I bought it from the Porsche network.

Over 4 yrs of ownership it's asked for very little and I think that generally that's more common than not. Air con condensers and pse valves can be a pain but there are preventative measures you can take with these.

On the GTS 14, 15 cars I've seen some of them require adaptive transmission mounts which are £900 in parts alone per side so good to understand if they have been replaced already.

Pdk failures are extremely rare and the engines appear to be very strong so not so much of a worry.

I probably wouldn't be so confident with any Jaguar or indeed the early Macans. Consider the history, planned usage and decide what is right for you.

Edited by daz05

Thats a nice spec GTS, its has the GTS interior pack and the carbon sills where an expensive extra, even has the dual climate lol

The main weak point of the 981GTS is the dynamic engine mounts, they are prone to go on even a low mile car and are c£1000 each to replace and you are recommended to do both at the same time......it’s the main reason people get a warranty on these 😉

• Like 1

I second that above on the engine mount front.  In my research for the purchase of a CGTS, besides servicing, the only other workshop job was for an engine mount - the car is 6yrs old 20k miles.

@daz05 has a great video or two on handy maintenance tips - the side drains are a must, that WILL be expensive, happened to me twice at a cost of approx £1500....covered by warranty :) 

• Thanks 1

They are fitted to all 9x1 cars with Sport chrono which the GTS has as standard ie any 981 with Sport chrono has them including GT4’s 

1 hour ago, daz05 said:

No dynamic engine mounts on the 981 they are fitted to the transmission but fact is they do seem vulnerable on the GTS cars.

Same thing as they work on both the transmission and engine so are referred to as either......they come as part of the Sport chrono package so can affect any 981 with that option its just that the GTS and GT4 have them as standard .....I know of one which has just gone on a very low mileage GT4.......definately not mileage related when they fail 

Edited by Jonttt

Same thing yes was just highlighting that on the 981 they are fitted to the transmission and not the engine.

Yep read the same thing and even saw a post on another forum saying that their has been failures on the brand new 718 cars! Probably one of the only British made parts on the car 😂😂😂

Sorry if this is clear from the thread and I missed it.  Are we saying the dynamic mounts fail more on GTS cars or are we just saying they fail on all cars with them and there are just more on GTS because it is standard equipment?

48 minutes ago, lofi said:

Sorry if this is clear from the thread and I missed it.  Are we saying the dynamic mounts fail more on GTS cars or are we just saying they fail on all cars with them and there are just more on GTS because it is standard equipment?

I’d say the latter, it’s just that it comes standard on the GTS as it comes with sports chrono. 

3 hours ago, JurassicGTS said:

Decided to follow pricing and the market until I can get around to testing one. Costwold Porsche have just sold a 15 plate very quickly for an advertised £52.5K😱

Been tracking Boxster and Cayman GTS prices for a few months. £50+ from am OPC is the current norm. £55k for a sub 20k miles example.  

Demand is high and with a new model likely to be hybrid or electric, speculation is that these are the last NA versions, besides the GTS4.0 

Colour choose is obviously a personal thing. But I've noticed a higher percentage of white cars on the market and they seem to hang around longer than other colours. 

My take is the 981 GTS cars seem to be more susceptible to this than the earlier 981s there definitely appears to be a bad batch circulating around the 2014/15 build dates. Plenty of early 981s have sports chrono fitted but there doesn't seem to be the same failure rate and certainly not so early in their life. When I've seen failures on earlier cars they have been at higher mileage.

Not sure on the 718 cars.

Edited by daz05

12 hours ago, Simo_UK said:

Been tracking Boxster and Cayman GTS prices for a few months. £50+ from am OPC is the current norm. £55k for a sub 20k miles example.  

Demand is high and with a new model likely to be hybrid or electric, speculation is that these are the last NA versions, besides the GTS4.0 

Colour choose is obviously a personal thing. But I've noticed a higher percentage of white cars on the market and they seem to hang around longer than other colours. 

Thanks Simo,

Yes prices seem extremely strong, probably too strong for me when I already have that sort of cash tied up in a MY18 under 20,000 mile Macan GTS.

It would mean an additional investment of circa £20k on top of my MY16 F-Type V6s convertible which still only has 25,000 miles on her.

Maybe need to start to look at a really well specced S, but not sure that would give me the specialness to make me switch. There are a couple of S 981s at traders not too far away so now we are released I feel a test drive coming on.