Oops, anyone else read this?

mneil

Don't think its quite the drama that has been suggested in the media. Its on a small batch of engines and they've identified the cars involved. the OPC I deal with has two cars affected. Cars subsequently being built are ok, which is a bit of a relief as I was concerned it may push my build/delivery back!

I love the understatement in this description of what a failure of the con rod may result in.

More importantly, the defective connecting rods may lead to damages to the engine block, stalling, loss of power, and oil leakage when driven at high loads. There's also a risk of fire due to these damages.

Oh the story of when some young lady's classic mini was being driven too enthusiastically and ground to a halt. "So we opened the bonnet and we saw - is it called a "con rod"?"  Er yes ma'am it could well be, and that would definitely grind to a halt...

Things do go wrong ,its how they are resolved which is important. 

At present the owners with affected cars in the US are to be given a loan car for the repair duration UK  owners with cars stuck in the dealerships for a month ,nothing and communication not forth coming. 

Class action will only come up if Porsche don't respond to this appropriately.  if they are changing engines before problem, and giving Porsche courtesy cars, I think that's as good as can be expected.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/12/2021 at 7:39 AM, Menoporsche said:

Class action will only come up if Porsche don't respond to this appropriately.  if they are changing engines before problem, and giving Porsche courtesy cars, I think that's as good as can be expected.

Yes, they seem to be pulling out all the stops for US owners. EU/UK seems to be a different matter, there are plenty of people with their just delivered cars sitting at OPCs with little indication of when they will be able to take delivery. The only option being offered to most seems to be cancelling their order!  

23 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

JohnSyn did mention his concerns, and he didn't mention getting a courtesy car...

Thats because my car isn't yet built  Meno and this action relates to a batch of engines built earlier this year. Apparently this has affected only a few cars in the UK, I was told 139 but I notice someone else has suggested a slightly lower figure. The spec for my car has now been locked down and I'm expecting it to be built late May. 

Edited by JohnSyn

2 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

Ah so it's only for those who received their cars and sent them back, not for those whose cars are delayed? (Allegedly!!)    Fair enough.

My understanding is there were a few affected cars where they were with the OPC and had not actually been sold. Presumably its the people buying these cars who have been offered a loan car. I would not see, unless it was for other reasons ( eg very important customer!) why they would offer loan cars where the car had not been built. From my experience, buying new Porsche cars, you are only given estimated dates until the build date is confirmed by Porsche. 

Obviously people who had bought affected cars will be offered a loan car when the go in for the engine replacement!

Edited by JohnSyn