Is your 987 a 'keeper'?

Paul O

11 hours ago, lawrencequinn said:

How old minimum for the Classic Register. Thanks. 

9 hours ago, Bayernlarge said:

I’m not sure. I didn’t think 987s qualified, but thought I’d give it a go. I called my local OPC, they asked for the VIN and that was that.

Terms state 986 Boxster and 911 up to 2005 so maybe they thought yours was a 911?! :laugh:

10 hours ago, andygo said:

987's not mentioned in the T&C's.. Wonder how you managed to get on board?

I really don’t know, I just emailed and asked, they replied immediately asking me to scan and send them my V5, then confirmed it was OK. A few weeks later I received my welcome pack.

The T&Cs you sent say:

Qualifying Car is defined as:
any Porsche 356, 911 models from 1963 (901) to 2005 (996), 912, 914, 924, 944, 928, 968, 986 Boxster and such other models as PCGB may from time to time advise, owned by a Member and which has been presented, with proof of ownership, at a participating Porsche Centre

Perhaps the part I’ve put in bold applies? Maybe they’ll turn me away when I turn up for my first wash and vac?!

late 2011 987.2 here that I think is a keeper - low miles, great spec and well cared for. But then again I've said that about lots of other cars and sold them for something else eventually. Have had this longer than many though and for the price/performance/usability there isn't anything out there to touch it. So who knows...

2009 987.2 here. Just been out to collect our Chinese takeaway in it. It was a blast!

I was thinking that power wise it’s more than I need for the roads I drive, the handling is sublime and even the ride isn’t too bad. 
Would I swap it for a 981 with PASM? Maybe but £20k buys a lot of fried rice!

Until then it’s a keeper 😀

I just spent a pretty penny on Gaz Gold suspensions, bushes, remove all dings, tyres ... is a 2.7 Gen1 so it could be better, but right now the prices for Gen2 or 981s is way out of my budget, so i rather give it a nice uplift and keep her for the next few years.

I wish i had done 5 years ago when I brougt her home.

I've had my 987.1 for 11 years, being the second owner. It was purchased when I retired and has only ever been used as a fun car, average 3000 miles per year. I'm 75 now and still enjoy every time I take it out. Plan to keep it as long as my driving ability holds up.

• Like 6

On 6/24/2021 at 11:17 PM, Paul P said:

Honestly.  

Everything has a sell by date.  

Don’t know when that is but I suspect nobody will be wondering if they should bury me in it. 

Challenge accepted 🙃

after 6 years of enjoying our boxster (2011 987.2) - and looking after it - it has become a keeper - especially now there are so many later  "upgrade" boxsters with few benefits per upgrade pound. This probably helped by the fact it has done so few miles..

On 6/27/2021 at 9:29 AM, Kirkm said:

after 6 years of enjoying our boxster (2011 987.2) - and looking after it - it has become a keeper - especially now there are so many later  "upgrade" boxsters with few benefits per upgrade pound. This probably helped by the fact it has done so few miles..

I wish mine was a 987.2, i think they are perfect balance and they have everything i miss on the 987.1.

Not interested in any of the newer models (not good value for money once you already have a 987.1) So yeah, enjoy it!

On 6/22/2021 at 10:28 PM, Bayernlarge said:

I’ve only had mine for 6 months, and not used it a great deal due to Covid. So I’m definitely still in the honeymoon period, but I love it so far.

Mine is a 2009 987.2 S, but I got it on the classic register, I received my pack earlier this week.

Which OPC put you on the list?

Yes, it is a keeper, have it for 3.5 years now and enjoy it every second, never had so much fun driving a car. It is a weekend and holiday car, I even ask the wife if she wants me to drive her to the 'next door's' 😀

• Like 1