Is your 987 a 'keeper'?

Paul O

I just wondered if anyone has decided that their 987 is the car for them, and no intentions of ever selling it? If so, is it your daily too or just a fun toy?

Or is your ownership just for a period of time before changing to something else?

Personally, I'm undecided, having only owned mine for a few months so still in the honeymoon phase of ownership. That said, I consider the 987.1 to be the best version of the Boxster, and I now have one with my ideal spec. So mine has the potential for a candidate being a long term but unsure as yet.

How about you?

Perhaps- still in the honeymoon phase myself, only had the car a few weeks but loving it so far. It replaced a 944 Turbo which I had for thirteen years so will be going some to match that but you never know ! Its my fun toy rather than a daily and fits that bill pretty much perfectly so far...

I've only had mine since late December. I imagine this is my last car. It's in lovely condition & I'll keep it that way. I'm 66 and healthy so I've probably got 20 yrs of driving ahead of me, if I'm lucky. The Boxster is faster than me already, I've no use for it's outer limits. I like the look of it & I've always loved convertibles. I enjoy it every time I drive it. My only reservation is that it's noisy (I can't imagine why people fit noisier exhausts or desnork them) but if my hearing deteriorates, that'll be less of an issue. 😀

Most importantly, my older brother bought it new.  He's now decided he no longer needs a car, so it was his last car. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Had mine for nearly 2 years before selling - which is a long time for me - was my 57th car, now on the 60th and struggling to decide what to get next - the Boxtser is a bit of a sweet spot for badge/performance/looks/handling/price though so have been looking at 981's and 718's 

Edited by Mattman42
  • Like 1

If the right car came along at the right price I might change it. That car would probably be a better specced 987.2..... Thing is mine cost very little, owes me nothing, doesn't seem to have any problems and every time I open the garage door it looks at me and says 'are we going out to have some fun now?' It's human nature to want something better but in truth would the thing that was better actually be better or would it just be more expensive?

• Like 1

I have had my 2010 Gen 2 2.9 for 7 years and still love it. I am the 2nd owner, the first having specced it really well. It is my summer daily.  I got a 718 Spyder in November which is a completely different car and isn't suited to Edinburgh city roads, more longer runs. Both keepers in different ways.

Can i answer about my 986? No, its not a keeper. its a 'dip a toe in the water' car for me for mid engined cars, and porsches in general. i've already found a few drawbacks to a 986 which would be rectified for a 987 if i decided to upgrade to that in a few years (namely the seating position, steering wheel adjustment and interior)

I think i'm going to have my 986 either 2-3 years if i then upgrade to a 987 (which then might be a keeper) or 5 years if i decide to jump straight to a dream car for me, which is a manual Audi R8 V8.

Well I have a 987.2 which I consider to be just slightly nicer than the 987.1 😃 The 981 prices seem silly ATM and I don't represent enough extra fun for the buck for me. 

Having had a 986 in some ways I'd like a 986 and a 981 or perhaps a 718 as I've not got a 6 cylinder fetish and I would have the 986. I think it will depend on the mileage I do over the next year or two and the opportunities to get away, which are restricted by  Covid in the short term and family health issues in the long term. My 987 is on 71000+ and I've put 16000+ fun miles on in since purchase in March 2019.  In normal times I would be driving in Europe this time of year.

When I bought my previous car, a 987.1 Boxster, I thought it was going to be a keeper, or at the very least a long term commitment.  I spent a fortune in the first couple of months getting it mechanically as good as possible.  However, my circumstances changed about 18 months later, with the death of my Father, and after inheriting £24k I decided to spend every penny (plus a few grand on top) to get my absolute dream car, a near perfect 981 Cayman.  I intend to keep this one forever if possible, as it means more to me than being "just a car", and it's a permanent reminder of my wonderful Dad (not that I need a reminder, obviously). It makes me smile every time I drive it, or even just when I glimpse it on the driveway out of my kitchen window.  I can hardly believe I own such a gorgeous and awesome car, and have to pinch myself sometimes.

• Like 8

Not had mine long like a few other posts. If it behaves I see myself keeping it. Anything newer starts looking a bit big and heavy in my eyes. The 987 is already the upper end of the scale for size and weight I like to go for normally.

Mine is 2005 and it would be cool to keep it at least long enough to get it on the classic register if Porsche add the 987   

Edited by thestig84

Had my car for 12 years. It's not necessarily because I love it, but because an initial tax exemption and then punitive tax on any replacement means it's just not worth changing, even if I'd like a 987.2 with its far newer engine. Sure I need to get out more in it, but I've been saying that since I bought it.

So - my future is bright...

• Haha 2

Mine's a keeper for as long as I can afford to run it as a weekend toy or fix it if it goes bang - my daily is a fiesta.

Not sure, had my 987.2 3 years now and have no reason to change, but I have noticed that lately I have a fetish for a 718s, it all depends on disposable funds as the 987 is a toy and I have too many other hobbies/toys that get in the way of changing.....

Mine was bought on a whim 8 months ago as a weekender - becoming daily as and when offices reopen.  Keeping half an eye out on autotrader for a 987.2 S but really current performance is enough for my skills so no need.  981 2.7 seem way off in comparison, price wise.  Happy that it's well screwed together and well supported by many forums and users for attempting repairs yourself - something to tinker with without pressure to have it back together by the next morning's commute!  Just wish had a garage to shelter it in.  4 years or a keeper if the forecast all electric domination takes hold.

Had my 2005 S just over 4 years now and can't think of a better car to replace it. Its combination of speed, practicality, build quality and sheer sense of fun are unbeatable at the price. When I bought it I was looking at Lotus Elises but have no regrets at buying the Boxster instead, much as I like Lotuses. There's no doubt that some people have a negative image of Porsche but I remember the first time I was driving the Box on the M25 an Audi that had been forcing his way into the outside lane just pulled over the moment he saw me coming up behind. Clearly, he had an acute sense of the motoring pecking order and in his book a Porsche outranked his Audi for fast lane right of way (and I was only doing 70)! I never got that reaction in my MX5!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Is your 987 a 'keeper'?......I 'think' so

Mattman42 sums it up perfectly for me with "the Boxster [I'll add in, IMHO 987.2] is a bit of a sweet spot for badge/performance/looks/handling/price"

For the money I can't think of a better balance of all 5 of those attributes

For me the Boxster is just a weekend toy that has to share it's time alongside other interests, especially when the weather is good

For me it's also the perfect antidote to the other half of my two car garage - a rather boring Volvo V60! But for my budget/needs/wants, I reckon they're the perfect combo

I think the only thing that would make me change is if money was no object, and that's going to take a lottery win 🤣

I've had my 987.2 S PDK for 3 and a bit years now. We stumbled upon this spec in many ways and now love it. 

Often thought about sctatching the 911 997 itch, but having driven with, and a few of them, I can't justify the cost. The performance isn't anything to shout about compared to the gen 2 S. 

It's the perfect antidote to stressful days and a beautiful car in it's own right. 

Is it a keeper?  yeah i think it is as i like to travel, take photos, swing golf clubs and being the bank of dad. 

Edited by Pinewood

I have owned mine for just over a year.  Simply put I smile everything I get in and every-time I walk by her.  I have spent a fair amount in keeping my car at a really good standard and so I have certainly treated her as a keeper.  I don’t actually drive a car everyday (train a lot into London) and we have others cars as we have two young boys to take to football and other events. But when ever I can I use my 987.1, so I guess it’s more like a weekend car and I do tend to tuck her up for the winter in the garage.

There will always be another car that takes your eye from time to time, but Porsche just have that extra special something, I had a lovely BMW Z3 3 litre straight six before my Boxster but out of the two the Boxster wins hands down.

10 hours ago, thestig84 said:

Not had mine long like a few other posts. If it behaves I see myself keeping it. Anything newer starts looking a bit big and heavy in my eyes. The 987 is already the upper end of the scale for size and weight I like to go for normally.

Mine is 2005 and it would be cool to keep it at least long enough to get it on the classic register if Porsche add the 987   

I’ve only had mine for 6 months, and not used it a great deal due to Covid. So I’m definitely still in the honeymoon period, but I love it so far.

Mine is a 2009 987.2 S, but I got it on the classic register, I received my pack earlier this week.

9 minutes ago, Bayernlarge said:

I’ve only had mine for 6 months, and not used it a great deal due to Covid. So I’m definitely still in the honeymoon period, but I love it so far.

Mine is a 2009 987.2 S, but I got it on the classic register, I received my pack earlier this week.

How old minimum for the Classic Register. Thanks.