loud hiss from driver's side

backinaporscheagain

Looking for some advice please. Noticed loud hiss from drivers side soon after starting up and driving down

a farm track. Lasted about 20 seconds. Assumed it was a puncture, so drove back home down lane

Tyres are fine, no warning lights on dash. Is this likely an AOS failing? Is it safe to drive to my local indie?

Car is 987.2S overdue service !!

Many thanks.

18 minutes ago, backinaporscheagain said:

Looking for some advice please. Noticed loud hiss from drivers side soon after starting up and driving down

a farm track. Lasted about 20 seconds. Assumed it was a puncture, so drove back home down lane

Tyres are fine, no warning lights on dash. Is this likely an AOS failing? Is it safe to drive to my local indie?

Car is 987.2S overdue service !!

Many thanks.

Are you able to capture the noise and stick it up as a Youtube link or similar ? 

Edited by iborguk

Check the coolant level and oil level - if nothing untoward and it doesn't do it again - I would say its OK to drive it - keep an eye on the temp.

Check your aircon to see if its working fine and blowing cold - thats another hiss source.

• Like 1

I had a similar experience a few weeks ago after a spirited run out one Saturday morning.  I initially thought (as you) it was a puncture, then Thought it must me air con coolers or a radiator burst, but no fluid loss and air con was still cold and water temp fine.  The only thing I can think now is that it was the fuel filler vent which must have been blocked/stuck and suddenly released to suck a load of air in (location of noise, type of noise and duration seem to support this and I can’t think of anything else!.

After parking up a few weeks ago my car was making a really odd pulsing sound. Can't really describe it other than to say it was a repetitive whining sound. 

As I stood outside listening to it, I realised it was coming from the front. As a last resort I undid the fuel filler cap and there was a reasonably loud hiss and then the pulsing sound stopped.

So could yours be pressure within the tank somehow equalising?