PCM Head unit swap

MAC99V

Hi, trust this finds all well. Quick question If I may, the basic head unit in my 09 Boxster 987II is beginning to fade graphics wise. I'd rather keep OEM look and i've found a chap selling his pcm3 for a reasonable cost.

My car has bose and bluetooth, but with no sat nav, dated as it is, i'd prefer to have the PCM 3 with sat nav as he's selling. I've read I'd need special codes from porsche to make this head unit work anyone have any special knowledge of this? in knowing, can this swap be achieved at a reasonable amount of money, or is it too cost prohibitive.....

aftermarket is easily achieved I know, but for the amount I use the car, happy to stream bluetooth for music etc, waze too from my phone when needed.

thanks for any input, cheers, M

3 hours ago, Bleedsoff said:

What's happening to PCCM+ next year?

They have been some web reports PCCM+ may be available for the 997 (and therefore maybe the 987) from 2022.

https://www.pistonheads.com/news/ph-germancars/porsche-officially-embraces-restomod-craze/44142

Edited by iborguk

All very well. PCCM+ being available, BUT would you really want to upgrade a headunit that is already 10+ years old? The internal components could fail at any time. 

I understand the wish to keep the OEM look, but the new headunits really are a massive leap forward and bring the car with it. 

5 minutes ago, Pinewood said:

All very well. PCCM+ being available, BUT would you really want to upgrade a headunit that is already 10+ years old? The internal components could fail at any time. 

I understand the wish to keep the OEM look, but the new headunits really are a massive leap forward and bring the car with it. 

PCCM+ are the new head units released for the 986 last year, which some of us would like to see released for the 987.

PCM3 is the 10 year old tech.

7 hours ago, iborguk said:

They have been some web reports PCCM+ may be available for the 997 (and therefore maybe the 987) from 2022.

https://www.pistonheads.com/news/ph-germancars/porsche-officially-embraces-restomod-craze/44142

stand corrected, I thought they were the pcb cards being shoved into old headunits. 

57 minutes ago, Pinewood said:

stand corrected, I thought they were the pcb cards being shoved into old headunits. 

Ah yes the Joyeauto style product to provide CarPlay for the PCM 3.0, again not cheap but some have had good results with them.

https://www.joyeauto.com/product/porsche-pcm3-0-cayenne-turbo-997-987-wireless-carplay-android-auto/

Another CarPlay PCB retrofit option for PCM 3.0 from a Channel Islands based seller

https://www.nmautomotive.co.uk/carplay-androidauto

https://742d6f80-4768-4b92-8ba0-cbcfd9fbbe56.filesusr.com/ugd/7fd4cc_e81e1d7b058644729c52043cf197190e.pdf

Edited by iborguk

Mines a 987S II.....had a majorly high quote from a company to do the works and know where there marks ups are....but watch this space.....I'm hoping a certain forum member may be in the know......

Fingers crossed for me please.....Cheers, M

Associated map material is provided via an external SD card and can be ordered using the part number 99664250100 for Europe. The map material is not included in the scope of delivery for the PCCM and PCCM Plus.

wow. Maps are extra…

4 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

Welcome to the world of manufacturer controlled sat nav maps....  they charge more to install them for you too.

PCCM plus uses tomtom maps.  That 80 quid buys an sad card.  You slot it in the front of the nav.  

likely google maps more up to date and of course, don’t cost to upgrade. But for me I would pay 80 quid every couple of years for up to date maps as a fall back for those days when for whatever reason I can’t use or don’t have my phone.  

8 hours ago, Paul P said:

PCCM plus uses tomtom maps.  That 80 quid buys an sad card.  You slot it in the front of the nav.  

likely google maps more up to date and of course, don’t cost to upgrade. But for me I would pay 80 quid every couple of years for up to date maps as a fall back for those days when for whatever reason I can’t use or don’t have my phone.  

At least not back to the days of CD/DVD based loading when you didn't get much change from £300 to update an onboard map system...

Have to say even with an on-board system in my daily cars I still prefer to use a separate TomTom.

2 hours ago, ½cwt said:

At least not back to the days of CD/DVD based loading when you didn't get much change from £300 to update an onboard map system...

Have to say even with an on-board system in my daily cars I still prefer to use a separate TomTom.

Yes - I switched to a standalone tomtom from the built in system on my previous daily - latest daily has pretty good built in and decent traffic - but also has carplay - and I tend to use google maps in that and in the boxster. "If" PCCM plus comes to the 987's then i am tempted, and for the incremental 80 quid to have nav as well I would probably go for it - even if i ended up with "google maps" across the board.

37 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

Interesting - why?

Partly familiarity but a guaranteed updated map every 3 months and from painful experience more accurate live traffic and the ability to pin point specific locations or  programme up touring routes and then upload them to my account without hassle or leaving my desk.

And I can move it from car to car, even take it on holiday or business for hire cars and know how it works and keep my preferred settings.

Edited by ½cwt
  • Thanks 1

I'm not particularly bothered about the price of the PCCM+, and the maps will be cracked and distributed on a greymarket soon enough, as was the case with the PCM.2.1 discs.  I've never have an original update or map disc.

The thing that concerns me is the manafacturer support.  Very worrying signals from the 986 PCCM+, anecdotal evidence obviously.

Isn't it funny how subjective how infotainment is.  I really dislike TomToms, and aftermarket solutions and have zero issue with the 2.1 nav - it's never failed to get me to a destination.  All I want is a better music selection 😀

Edited by Skidd