Is this an RMS leak?

MarkyRR

4 minutes ago, Scubaregs said:

Who did the oil change? Is it possible some was spilled on refilling and has taken some time to work it's way out of the bay?

No.

The precise location of the oil staining is to precise.

As per my original post, it is 100% RMS or IMSB flange 

4 minutes ago, TROOPER88 said:

No.

The precise location of the oil staining is to precise.

As per my original post, it is 100% RMS or IMSB flange 

Thanks mate.  I’ve decided I want it looking at/dealing with but I don’t want my pants pulling down by paying £700 over what I need to on a job of this cost.  The local thing is important to me & I don’t mind paying a little more, but heading towards double for what sounds like the same job (particularly from an Indy who seems to have a good reputation - Revolution) isn’t what I like doing.

13 minutes ago, Scubaregs said:

Who did the oil change? Is it possible some was spilled on refilling and has taken some time to work it's way out of the bay?

Isn’t the oil refilled using the filler in the boot, rather than one in the engine ‘bay’?  If that’s the case, there’d be signs in the boot/filler area?  

6 minutes ago, MarkyRR said:

Thanks mate.  I’ve decided I want it looking at/dealing with but I don’t want my pants pulling down by paying £700 over what I need to on a job of this cost.  The local thing is important to me & I don’t mind paying a little more, but heading towards double for what sounds like the same job (particularly from an Indy who seems to have a good reputation - Revolution) isn’t what I like doing.

For sure.

I am not for one minute suggesting you get your pants pulled down.

Shame you are not local as I would happily have a look for you (I am Surrey based). 

Give Nick a call and try and get the pics from the report.

if we had a picture of what the leak was like when you purchased the car, we will know how much worse the leak is now.

Good luck Mark

Paul 

38 minutes ago, TROOPER88 said:

For sure.

I am not for one minute suggesting you get your pants pulled down.

Shame you are not local as I would happily have a look for you (I am Surrey based). 

Give Nick a call and try and get the pics from the report.

if we had a picture of what the leak was like when you purchased the car, we will know how much worse the leak is now.

Good luck Mark

Paul 

I’m still trying to get hold of him & I’ll ask.  It’s good of you to offer, thank you.  I’m in south Oxfordshire.  Completely confused me as to why there’s no dripping now. I might get under there to clean off with some degreaser/brake cleaner & see if it comes back in the meantime.  A little nervous about driving it now though, even with looking at the old oil filter etc all being clear of any grit/metal.

So a bit of an update (& more questions!)….still no reply from Nick Giles so I can now only assume this is the way he conducts business.  As mentioned above, I placed a drip tray under the car yesterday morning when I parked it up.  No sign of anything yesterday, however this morning I found drips.  The thing is it’s not oil, but watery, smelling of coolant.  This might make a bit of sense as thinking about it, the “oil patch” on the drive hasn’t stained the tarmac and was cleaned fairly easily.

What are the thoughts about this please?  I’m still waiting for the local Indy to contact me regarding lead time to get the car into them, so thought I’d spend a bit more time looking myself whilst I wait.

19 minutes ago, Scubaregs said:

So yet another paying customer is being ignored by Mr Giles and also never got their written report. @MarkyRR you should be raising this on the 986 facebook forum.

Ha, yes….I posted last night tagging him asking to contact me about obtaining the report.  As expected, someone jumped to his defence “he’s probably tucked under a car somewhere without a signal” etc.  I’ve seen he’s been active on FB messenger quite a bit, so obviously ignoring me.  I’ll leave it until tomorrow to get a bit more forceful on there - and expect to be removed from the group as I understand he’s a group admin/moderator 🙄

Unfortunately these don't appear to be accidents and there is a pattern of behaviour over time. The other thread already says it all. 

Personally I don't like to see other enthusiasts stiffed within the enthusiast forums and communities. A very cynical way to view things is that the FB group is like a front for a business with bad practice. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MarkyRR said:

So a bit of an update (& more questions!)….still no reply from Nick Giles so I can now only assume this is the way he conducts business.  As mentioned above, I placed a drip tray under the car yesterday morning when I parked it up.  No sign of anything yesterday, however this morning I found drips.  The thing is it’s not oil, but watery, smelling of coolant.  This might make a bit of sense as thinking about it, the “oil patch” on the drive hasn’t stained the tarmac and was cleaned fairly easily.

What are the thoughts about this please?  I’m still waiting for the local Indy to contact me regarding lead time to get the car into them, so thought I’d spend a bit more time looking myself whilst I wait.

It it has evaporated and left no marks then highly unlikely to be oil. 

I would clean up as best you can the oil on the car and monitor. If it is coolant then check your cooking system. The tank, pump are in the same vicinity but shouldn't normally run across the gearbox. Are the drip actually coming from directly in the line of the wet oil gearbox part from another area? You might need to stick down some paper across the width of the rear. 

9 minutes ago, edc said:

Unfortunately these don't appear to be accidents and there is a pattern of behaviour over time. The other thread already says it all. 

Personally I don't like to see other enthusiasts stiffed within the enthusiast forums and communities. A very cynical way to view things is that the FB group is like a front for a business with bad practice. 

On his FB page, or the boxster FB page, he mentions driving some distance for an inspection, waiting a few hours and no one turning up. If I were a cynic 😇:sad01_anim:, then I would be inclined to think someone got themselves a little payback. 

Edited by Scubaregs
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Scubaregs said:

On his FB page, or the boxster FB page, he mentions driving some distance for an inspection, waiting a few hours and no one turning up. If I were a cynic 😇:sad01_anim:, then I would be inclined to think someone got themselves a little payback. 

Then he should look at the payment terms. Something like third on booking and confirmation of date, third on completion of inspection and findings by phone and remaining third upon receipt of written report 😜

4 minutes ago, edc said:

Then he should look at the payment terms. Something like third on booking and confirmation of date, third on completion of inspection and findings by phone and remaining third upon receipt of written report 😜

Ah, drop his price by a third you mean? 🤔

• Haha 1

Lots of different ways to make up your pricing bit ultimately you have to deliver what's promised when somebody pays! How about:

Standard service:

Inspection following prescribed checklist.

Phone report of findings.

Bronze service:

More detailed inspection.

Silver service:

Bronze plus photos.

Gold:

Silver plus written detailed report.

You can charge incrementally more. 

53 minutes ago, Scubaregs said:

Or just deliver what the customer originally paid for? Novel idea I grant you, but I think it could catch on.

Thats part of the problem though that he can't seem to deliver the report. If it's a paid for optional extra he's only got to do a few rather than for every job. A bit like pricing really high to limit the amount of jobs or enquiries. 

10 minutes ago, Scubaregs said:

Can't seem top be arsed to do the report, or be arsed to respond to clients once he has their money. 

Being very cynical, perhaps by not providing the report he is protecting himself (albeit in a slightly roundabout way) against any come back on faults missed? I have no dog in the fight but I did see somebody on one of the FB groups saying that he had missed the fact that a car (a 981 Cayman I think) had been subject to a full and poor respray with blistering all over. Thankfully that buyer got his money back from the seller

Edited by Lennym1984

1 minute ago, Lennym1984 said:

Being very cynical, perhaps by not providing the report he is protecting himself (albeit in a slightly dishonest way) against any come back on faults missed? I have no dog in the fight but I did see somebody on one of the FB groups saying that he had missed the fact that a car (a 981 Cayman I think) had been subject to a full and poor respray with blistering all over. Thankfully that buyer got his money back from the seller

That would be even worse, the written report is part of the service and to deliberately not supply it would be dishonest at best.

2 hours ago, MarkyRR said:

1 hour ago, edc said:

It it has evaporated and left no marks then highly unlikely to be oil. 

I would clean up as best you can the oil on the car and monitor. If it is coolant then check your cooking system. The tank, pump are in the same vicinity but shouldn't normally run across the gearbox. Are the drip actually coming from directly in the line of the wet oil gearbox part from another area? You might need to stick down some paper across the width of the rear. 

Water pump leak??