Is this an RMS leak?

MarkyRR

20 minutes ago, Lennym1984 said:

Being very cynical, perhaps by not providing the report he is protecting himself (albeit in a slightly roundabout way) against any come back on faults missed? I have no dog in the fight but I did see somebody on one of the FB groups saying that he had missed the fact that a car (a 981 Cayman I think) had been subject to a full and poor respray with blistering all over. Thankfully that buyer got his money back from the seller

What the point of a PPI if an amateur car buyer picks this up but a paid for service doesn't? Was it the buyer that saw the fault or did it get picked up at a later service? I'd rather miss the report than a bad respray 🤣

43 minutes ago, Lennym1984 said:

Being very cynical, perhaps by not providing the report he is protecting himself (albeit in a slightly roundabout way) against any come back on faults missed? I have no dog in the fight but I did see somebody on one of the FB groups saying that he had missed the fact that a car (a 981 Cayman I think) had been subject to a full and poor respray with blistering all over. Thankfully that buyer got his money back from the seller

Then do not say the service they are paying good money for includes a written report then... simple.

There is no smoke without fire and with the amount of people telling the same story and the man himself blanking customers and not defending himself on the original thread tells it all.

If people are removed from the Facebook group (as he is a moderator) for asking where their reports are, that is even worse...if possible.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, edc said:

What the point of a PPI if an amateur car buyer picks this up but a paid for service doesn't? Was it the buyer that saw the fault or did it get picked up at a later service? I'd rather miss the report than a bad respray 🤣

I believe that the buyer picked it up when the car was delivered but as I say, it was just something that I saw on FB and I don't know all of the details.

I'm personally not convinced about the value of a PPI on something like a 986/987 - I'd rather just do my research and then turn up with an inspection light and a mirror... or just buy one from a well respected dealer/main dealer

Apologies guys, I didn’t want/expect this thread to turn into another “missing ppi report”, rather deal with the issue of my car.  The water/coolant thing is very strange as it doesn’t seem to evaporate, but with the temperature etc I’m not if it would too quickly anyway, especially with coolant/antifreeze in it.

I’m still waiting for my Indy (I may make more phone calls tomorrow), but I’m just confused.  The car sounds/drives perfectly, holds temperature fine, no drop in oil level on dipstick or the computer, note has the coolant level dropped that I can see.

13 minutes ago, MarkyRR said:

Apologies guys, I didn’t want/expect this thread to turn into another “missing ppi report”, rather deal with the issue of my car.  The water/coolant thing is very strange as it doesn’t seem to evaporate, but with the temperature etc I’m not if it would too quickly anyway, especially with coolant/antifreeze in it.

I’m still waiting for my Indy (I may make more phone calls tomorrow), but I’m just confused.  The car sounds/drives perfectly, holds temperature fine, no drop in oil level on dipstick or the computer, note has the coolant level dropped that I can see.

It might just be a crack in the expansion tank or the early stages of pump failure. As the pump bearing fails, the increased clearance allow a bit of water past. This will first manifest itself when you turn the engine off and the heat soak raises the pressure in the cooling system. A few drips isn’t going to be noticeable on the level.

5 hours ago, Nobbie said:

It might just be a crack in the expansion tank or the early stages of pump failure. As the pump bearing fails, the increased clearance allow a bit of water past. This will first manifest itself when you turn the engine off and the heat soak raises the pressure in the cooling system. A few drips isn’t going to be noticeable on the level.

Same error I made @Nobbie, wrong end of the engine this is at the gearbox end...

@MarkyRR - it does sound odd what you are experiencing - as others have said i would be tempted to clean it up so that there is no dirt or old debris on there and then keep an eye on it and see what comes back.

If there is no staining to your drive that would suggest coolant/water rather than oil  -it may be what you are seeing underneath is just wet dirt/engine muck that makes it look like an oily deposit.

Expansion bottle is a known failure point and a fairly cheap option to discount - I'd start with that myself

• Like 1

Maybe you have a slight RMS leak due to the car now being used regularly and that will settle down, it seems to me they all leak slightly in that location, mine was the same when I started using it regularly and now it's stopped.

I think what you're seeing on the drive is a coolant leak from the pump, take the inside engine inspection panel off and have a looky and feel all around the pump for leaks.

In the meantime you could put a sheet of cardboard under the engine/gearbox to confirm the locality of the leak.

On 11/25/2021 at 7:49 AM, Nobbie said:

I didn’t see the OP confirm the location of the drip.

I posted a photo of the original oil leak/drip location, but the water/coolant drips are appearing in the drip tray from similar place plus what appears to be from behind the osr wheel.  Neither are large, but enough to leave a tiny ‘puddle’ on the tray (enough to tilt the tray & it run across it).

20 minutes ago, MarkyRR said:

A quick question…..would it be ok to use a spray brake cleaner to clear up the oil etc in the position in my photos, or would the recommendation be something else?

Hi Mark

Please don't clean anything off, I will do this for you when you come and see me.

I need to see it 'as is' so to speak.

Cheers Paul 

OSR wheel sounds much more lie tank or water pump. You need to inspect to confirm. The water may be dripping and tracking across something else and then dropping to floor away from the actual source. 

So a bit of an update.  I called down to see Paul this morning at his workshop in Sunbury on Thames.  What a decent guy!  We had a good look round underneath to investigate my ‘issue’.   The conclusion was that the dripping was an overfill of the coolant (🙈).  Although the oil underneath is wet, it is very much concentrated in one spot and not travelled very much at all.  In his opinion, it is highly likely it’s either the RMS or the IMS seal.  However, it’s felt that after cleaning up the area, I need only monitor it to see how much oil accumulates moving forwards.  The car has done such little mileage over the last 4/5 years and now I’ve started using it as intended, this seems like it’s caused the small leak.  There’s absolutely no noises from the engine whilst cold or when warm, it drives beautifully and the clutch feels normal.  The whole engine and gearbox area is completely dry, with no signs of any other leaks.

With all the above taken into account, I’m going to use the car with an eye on the leak.  I’ve taken some new ‘before’ (ie cleaned up) photos and will use them to compare should more oil appear.  

Whilst on the lift, Paul & I walked round the entire car (underneath & on top) looking at it in some detail.  It was reassuring to hear it appears I’ve bought a good one, with an obvious amount of attention having been spent on it over the years.

Paul couldn’t have been more helpful and I couldn’t not highly recommend him for carrying out work on your cars guys.  I’ve no affiliation other than my experience on this thread & meeting Paul this morning, but have a look at his website and give him a shout if you need anything:  

http://www.torqueboxsters.co.uk

👍

Edited by MarkyRR
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, Bike Loon said:

Any response from Nick on your written report?

I think he has writers block.

Joking aside, it is a disgrace he is not providing all of the service he charges for, to quite a few people.

1 hour ago, Bike Loon said:

Any response from Nick on your written report?

Actually yes.  Apologies for not updating that part!  It took a bit of pressure on the Facebook group but I did get it emailed over.  There was an explanation that he was without internet/his phone/etc for a couple of weeks which was to blame.  There weren’t any photos with the report, but I’m not certain that’s the norm.  I was contacted by another couple of people on the group there that also hadn’t had their report (one was also on here) and comments were made on the thread I started on FB.  

Overall, it’s disappointing to get that type of service after it started so well, but I guess that’s life.  I feel that making contact with Paul (Trooper88) was a decent trade off from the experience in the end, as he’s clearly one of the good guys. 👍

• Like 2