Is this an optical illusion

the baron

1 hour ago, GmanB said:

Interesting, I thought the front end of the 996 and 986 where identical up to the door latch, bar for a few extra dials on the dash. 

They are. 

On 12/1/2021 at 10:55 PM, the baron said:

At the weekend I was involved in a photo shoot with a few other members to promote a new car storage facility.

I have cropped back a picture of just my car the 996, @CAZ 987 and @Rav986 the 911 looks thinner than both it’s sandwich between, is this an optical illusion or are the dimensions of the 911 actually smaller then the other two?

7SeAnhL.jpg

Is no one else interested in this car storage facility?

At the weekend I was involved in a photo shoot with a few other members to promote a new car storage facility.

I have cropped back a picture of just my car the 996, @CAZ 987 and @Rav986 the 911 looks thinner than both it’s sandwich between, is this an optical illusion or are the dimensions of the 911 actually smaller then the other two?

7SeAnhL.jpg

7SeAnhL.jpg

7SeAnhL.jpg

3 hours ago, ATM said:

No they are not.

OK, what is different? The front bumper moulding, the dash moulding, instrument pod, some brake parts, wheels and a few other very minor bits, otherwise pretty much every structural and trim component number for the pre facelift models of both start 996, well according to Porsche anyway.

44 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

OK, what is different? The front bumper moulding, the dash moulding, instrument pod, some brake parts, wheels and a few other very minor bits, otherwise pretty much every structural and trim component number for the pre facelift models of both start 996, well according to Porsche anyway.

I thought so too. In fact I thought that was pretty much what saved Porsche as they only had to design the rear half on the 996 after the Boxster brought them back from the brink of going under. Engine is the same, just facing the other way, with different bore. Not exactly sure about the gear box, but the tiptronics feel the same. 

7 minutes ago, ATM said:

986 Black

996 Red

20210713-100910.jpg

20210713-101138.jpg

To the runner, approx. 56 cm in both cases but the measure looks pretty flexible so +/- 5mm accuracy?  The plastic caps on the front of the runners are 996 part numbers too, as is the pressed tray the seats are supported on that is welded to the floor pan.  The floor pan is different because the back of it goes to the bulkhead in the 986 where as the 996 has rear seats then the bulkhead. 

There is of course one other major difference on front of the B pillar: the screen, screen surround and lack of a fixed steel roof on a 986.

7 minutes ago, rowbos said:

Are you suggesting we put this discussion, BEHIND US!?

Oh no its not!

4 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

To the runner, approx. 56 cm in both cases but the measure looks pretty flexible so +/- 5mm accuracy?  

Definitely a difference in the distance from pedal to seat mount.  Hard to hold measure taught and take a pic without some more hands.  But you cant say thats all tape measure flex in your favour.  If there is +/- 5mm difference then there could be 20mm difference physical based on that pic.

I was surprised.  I too believed they are the same.  Feel free to measure mine yourself or another.

Oh no he's not!  

I went to Dove House today for an oil service on my 986 and they kindly gave me access to a 996.  I took a tape measure with me and yes @ATM I agree that the seat runner is positioned about 8mm (±1mm) further back on the floor pan, which as it is a different floor pan I guess is not a surprise if they could make an adjustment.  Every day is a school day.

So the 986 and 996 are largely identical back to the B pillar. 

986 Boxster 553mm

kWYOoak.jpg 

996 Carrera 4 561mm

s7tEhuO.jpg 

Buyer's tip - If you are 6ft 8in buy a 996 for the extra leg room!

57 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

Oh no he's not!  

I went to Dove House today for an oil service on my 986 and they kindly gave me access to a 996.  I took a tape measure with me and yes @ATM I agree that the seat runner is positioned about 8mm (±1mm) further back on the floor pan, which as it is a different floor pan I guess is not a surprise if they could make an adjustment.  Every day is a school day.

986 Boxster 553mm

kWYOoak.jpg 

996 Carrera 4 561mm

s7tEhuO.jpg 

Buyer's tip - If you are 6ft 8in buy a 996 for the extra leg room!

Quick turn around. 

I also think you sit higher in a 986 than a 996 but I didn't figure out a way to measure it.

As in your bum is higher in relation to the bonnet and possibly the steering wheel but I'm not overly confident on that one. Could just be a symptom of sitting further back. But it feels to me like even with the seat moved forward slightly in the 996 I am still lower than 986.

2 hours ago, ½cwt said:

Oh no he's not!  

986 Boxster 553mm

996 Carrera 4 561mm

The seat runner is only further back on the 911 as there's no bulkhead to stop the seat so I'm not sure that's relevant.  986 & 996 doors are interchangeable (but obviously not the glass).

1 hour ago, Araf said:

The seat runner is only further back on the 911 as there's no bulkhead to stop the seat so I'm not sure that's relevant.  986 & 996 doors are interchangeable (but obviously not the glass).

No I don't think the bulkhead stops it.

The seat doesn't go as far back along the runner. It must have a stop of some sort because if you tilt the seat forward it still doesn't go any further back. So something in / on the runner prevents it going beyond a certain point. By my crude measurement its about 20mm less of runner travel allowed.

Not being pedantic, I actually need to know. 

I've replaced 9x6 seats in both my 996 and 986 and my friend is currently switching over in his 996 too. However I bought 987 seats for my 986 and 997 seats for my 996. He hasn't done this. He bought 987 seats for his 996. So we genuinely need to know what stops / allows the seat the full movement. Otherwise he'll be left short.

Surely its just something in the seat itself so not really a major difference between the 2 cars.

The bulkhead doesn't stop it but you wouldn't have any tilt on the seat due to the roll hoop and bulkhead.  Have a look at the runner movement length.  It will usually have a stop crimped into the runner, to avoid the seat coming off the bottom runner (fixed to the car).

You should be able to unbolt the lower frame from the seat and swap to whichever has longer travel.  @TROOPER88 would probably have more information about this as he's done so much work to so many cars.

5 hours ago, ATM said:

Quick turn around. 

I also think you sit higher in a 986 than a 996 but I didn't figure out a way to measure it.

As in your bum is higher in relation to the bonnet and possibly the steering wheel but I'm not overly confident on that one. Could just be a symptom of sitting further back. But it feels to me like even with the seat moved forward slightly in the 996 I am still lower than 986.

I agree with this but as you say it might be because you can move the seat further back, but I do feel lower down in he 996