BOXSTER SAFETY FEATURES DISCUSSION

tonyplymouth

I've just renewed my insurance for less than £200 on the assumption that I may do 10,000 miles. Fully comp with No Claims Protection & no voluntary excess.

The insurance providers seem confident about the safety of my Boxter S.

I have no plans to park it on it's roof.

Edited by McDonald
Added thought

2 minutes ago, McDonald said:

I've just renewed my insurance for less than £200 on the assumption that I may do 10,000 miles. Fully comp with No Claims Protection & no voluntary excess.

The insurance providers seem confident about the safety of my Boxter S.

Having sold so many 986's, I have met all of the new owners and 95% I would say are in the age bracket of 50-70. As such, one would like to think that they are experienced drivers and this is why insurance premiums are good value. 

I got my first 986 about 5 years ago as a weekend toy when I was 35 which is a lot younger than most owners that I meet. 

14 minutes ago, TROOPER88 said:

Are you the member who rolled a 986? 

Yes.

If so, I do hope all occupants survived the accident and none were badly hurt.

Was the only occupant, no injuries - not sure the outcome would have been same if it had been a different vehicle (including some with a rigid roof).

I am intrigued, as I am sure a few on here are also, how you managed to do this? 

Did go into some detail in one of my old threads, but there's not really much more to add.

2 minutes ago, K.I.T.T. said:

Yes.

Was the only occupant, no injuries - not sure the outcome would have been same if it had been a different vehicle (including some with a rigid roof).

Did go into some detail in one of my old threads, but there's not really much more to add.

Was it on a race track where you had your accident? 

Apologies K.I.T.T if my caps make the heading difficult to read.  Caps are standard format for headings of letters, reports etc in my part of the world!  Will try to remember to use lower case next time.  In view of TROOPER88's experience of the age profile of Boxster owners, perhaps I should use a larger font and in bold?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, tonyplymouth said:

Apologies K.I.T.T if my caps make the heading difficult to read.  Caps are standard format for headings of letters, reports etc in my part of the world!  Will try to remember to use lower case next time.  In view of TROOPER88's experience of the age profile of Boxster owners, perhaps I should use a larger font and in bold?

I would be very interested to know if my age profiling is correct for members on this site! :) 

I am also certain it is :) 

I for one am well outside your age profile when I bought my first Boxster in 2012 and still now almost 10 years later.

17 hours ago, TROOPER88 said:

Having sold so many 986's, I have met all of the new owners and 95% I would say are in the age bracket of 50-70. As such, one would like to think that they are experienced drivers and this is why insurance premiums are good value. 

I got my first 986 about 5 years ago as a weekend toy when I was 35 which is a lot younger than most owners that I meet. 

I’m not surprised at the age bracket you quote.
At least you can get a Zimmer frame in a Boxster and you can’t in an MX5.

BTW I’m near the top of your range at 67 going on 68

17 hours ago, TROOPER88 said:

Spun mine on a straight dual carriageway in heavy rain 😳when I was 49.

Haven’t crashed since and I am 53 now!   So your age bracket is perfect!

didn’t roll it mind, just front and back bumpers and the aluminium support, bought back from insurance company and back on the road within 3 months. 

1 hour ago, M635uk said:

Spun mine on a straight dual carriageway in heavy rain 😳when I was 49.

Haven’t crashed since and I am 53 now!   So your age bracket is perfect!

didn’t roll it mind, just front and back bumpers and the aluminium support, bought back from insurance company and back on the road within 3 months. 

I have heard of them being spun in heavy rain previously, just never rolled.

I asked the kitt chap on here if he did it on a track or public road but still waiting on a reply.

Glad you were ok and you put it back on the road :) 

9 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

I think it's easily possible to roll off a public road if it has no fences and has banking dropping away from the side to a lower level.

That pretty much describes every road in all directions from my house.... :lol:

1 minute ago, Scubaregs said:

Fixed that for you. 😇

You are brave and happily for you about 300 miles away!  Remember how the conversation went about thoroughbreds and the size of 987s recently?  Your words, not mine, Sir.

Just now, ½cwt said:

You are brave and happily for you about 300 miles away!  Remember how the conversation went about thoroughbreds and the size of 987s recently?  Your words, not mine, Sir.

I love cougars, dated a 43 year old when I was 34 and a 54 year old when I was 49. 😄

11 minutes ago, Scubaregs said:

I love cougars, dated a 43 year old when I was 34 and a 54 year old when I was 49. 😄

But did the objects of your affection appreciate being labelled as one?

:offtopic: should we adjourn to The Lounge?

11 minutes ago, Scubaregs said:

I think the cougar concept doesn't hold up once you are last a certain age 😆 When you turn 54 aim for a 34 year old 😂