Collected the car and got a slight problem

BoxstrAl

So picked the black edition today 😎 but on the long drive home (140miles, 3hrs) about 50 minutes into the drive got a check oil level message, so pulled over checked the oil level and looked fine to me but when I got home I decided to check the level again in the garage which is nice and level and after consulting the manual it looks like the car has been overfilled with oil, now it did not have a service at the dealer had one in September though.

Any consequences of driving a bit spirited with an overfill?

1 minute ago, BoxstrAl said:

So picked the black edition today 😎 but on the long drive home (140miles, 3hrs) about 50 minutes into the drive got a check oil level message, so pulled over checked the oil level and looked fine to me but when I got home I decided to check the level again in the garage which is nice and level and after consulting the manual it looks like the car has been overfilled with oil, now it did not have a service at the dealer had one in September though.

Any consequences of driving a bit spirited with an overfill?

I’m not a mechanic but I don’t think you will of hurt anything but get a bit of oil dropped out of it straight away.

Apart from your slight issue are you pleased with your car?
They are great cars and i loved mine 👍

Hmmmm, every time our 986 got anywhere near our local OPC they overfilled it, to the top of the LED oil gauge.

I don't see that level of overfill a problem however an extra 5L in there wouldn't be desirable IMHO. 

Thanks, interestingly it had its oil level sensor changed in 2019 under warranty.  

Loved the drive back though 👍 but it was raining and now the cars dirty 🤣

It also seems odd that it gave me the message 50 minutes into the drive and not when it got up to temperature.  Can’t measure the oil level when cold thanks to the 987.2 not letting you!  I’ve spoken to the dealer and they are going to find out if their mechanic put any oil in the car before I collected it.

Edited by BoxstrAl

Can never understand why people keep overfilling these cars. One level down from the top is plenty - it's not a state secret.

Welcome to the wonderful world of black cars. I said I wouldn't get another but here I am. 

What's the saying? - once you go black you never go back....

Edited by JonSta
  • Like 1

the issue is no dipstick, you do not know how much above the top line the oil is so I would get it sorted as soon as you can, if its way over you could risk over pressurising the system and causing a leak, this happened to a type R Honda after a full Honda service, the muppets over filled by nearly a litre and the rocker cover gasket leaked..... this was their explanation. I never went back to Honda.

Has three Porsche indy services since buying mine, always bang on top bar of graphic, and being a 986 I can check the dip stick and it agrees when it comes back.  Over the year and about 5k miles it drops one bar but only in the last 500 miles or so before service.  Always only use the cold level when parked on level ground before you even crank the engine as your gauge level.

2 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

Always only use the cold level when parked on level ground before you even crank the engine as your gauge level.

Different on a 987.2, engine has to be at temp and idle for the computer to take the reading and yes I wish it also had a dipstick (apart from the one in the driver's seat).

Just now, iborguk said:

Different on a 987.2, engine has to be at temp and idle for the computer to take the reading and yes I wish it also had a dipstick (apart from the one in the driver's seat).

... another school day.  I've never trusted a computer since i read about Deep Thought!

I had a conversation with BTCC and Porsche Cup star Tim Harvey on this subject, apparently the M96 engines used to blow out the dip stick in competition trim covering the engine bay with hot oil!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JonSta said:

In my 2.7 it was on full when I got it. I was paranoid and checked it every 20 minutes. If it dropped I topped it back up. Eventually I realised that if it went down to the next mark it stayed there and didn't go any lower. 

This was one of my Pop's sayings in regards to the oil level on has Austin 1100's;

"It used to use oil so I just stopped putting it in".

Seemed it just used/burnt oil until it got to the level it liked then it just stopped using it and dropped no further, funny old world :)

• Thanks 1

After reading this it got me paranoid about mine. The cars not be been used for about three weeks so I measured the oil without starting it and it was showing all the bars on the gauge including the one above maximum. I then started it and let it warm up a bit. The next measurement was then taken as soon as the car would let me and it was on the maximum. I’m assuming all the oil has made its way down to the pan from lack of use. Or maybe it’s just very slightly over full.