Aftermarket Brake pads - after more bite

Dubdubz

I looked for 20 mins using various search terms and gave up 😞

I have decent fluid and it was replaced by Dovehouse Indy in August, I have stainless hoses and new brembo disks all round. 

I rate this car so much but the only thing I feel is lacking is the bite of the disks - waaaay back I had EBC greenstuff on my mk1 MX5 that were epic. I wasnt sure if there was a recommended for better than stock [sure I got the brembo or textar in 2020]...

if its a case of just signposting me to the correct thread - I thank you in advance!

I dont do track days but I do drive in a spirited fashion at times when its dry and there is only myself to get in a muddle, I have noticed it more actually since putting on the Pilot4S's 😁

happy New years eve eve 😀

Was recommended Carbon Lorraine RC5 pads by this forum.

Pad compound superseded by RC5+ which are superb. Mainly road use by me but plenty of track miles - highly recommended.

Initially I only fitted them to the front axle - have since installed on rears too. Another tangible step up in performance.

Brake config is standard 986S calipers and disks. Upgraded fluid, flexibles and underbody cooling.

You can buy direct and they are good to draw with. 

I don't think you will find many pads which will have more initial cold bite. Most pad upgrades are aimed at stopping for longer and coping with heat better. A bigger disc will give more leverage and may give the feel of more bite at the top. 

So what pads do you have now?

A few years ago my mate bought a 986 and when I had a go I was shocked at the brakes. They felt like mush. I told him in no uncertain terms. He went through changing pads, fluid and flexis. It didn't really fix it. The only things left were the MC itself, the calipers and the discs themselves. I have read that the discs themselves can make a big difference. You mention Brembo discs but most people talk about Pagid discs for Porsche. Calipers can be refurbed. Maybe this could help. You will need to start chasing whatever is left.

1 hour ago, map said:

Was recommended Carbon Lorraine RC5 pads by this forum.

Pad compound superseded by RC5+ which are superb. Mainly road use by me but plenty of track miles - highly recommended.

cool thanks - will look them up

24 minutes ago, ATM said:

So what pads do you have now?

I have brembo pads - I bought from Design911 and got a set of brembo discs and pads to match
I did wonder if I needed to perhaps try a new MC and maybe upgrade to a GT3 one. Pads seemed like an easier option.

Maybe I have glazed them - whats the best way to deglaze?

I do have the front ducts too - so the only thing not changed has been the MC....

1 hour ago, edc said:

I don't think you will find many pads which will have more initial cold bite. Most pad upgrades are aimed at stopping for longer and coping with heat better. A bigger disc will give more leverage and may give the feel of more bite at the top. 

Basically this ^^

Track pads tend to feel different from road pads but initial bite is usually the same or worse. Road pads will bite better from 100mph+ but then give nothing more whereas track pads will bite better once you have some heat in them (ie. Initial bite maybe worse but from 90-10mph will be much better). 

People who claim that they need better brakes usually don't... 

1 hour ago, andygo said:

Forget the pads, It's a GT3 M/C that you need to have a less mushy pedal. Cheaper than pads and will last forever.

Google it and do a search on here for happy converters.

Thanks any leads on a decent price for one? Gt3 MC

If you're used to over-servoed brakes where you touch the pedal and the seatbelt hits your chest the Porsche brakes just aren't like that. They need a decent shove. They stop you pretty well though if they're working properly. Plenty of people go on track with the stock brakes and live to tell the tale. 

Have you inspected both sides of your discs to make sure you don't have a seized caliper? Other than that you could have wear in the master cylinder which is stopping you getting full hydraulic pressure. Or you're a demon braker and ought to be in formula 1....

2 hours ago, JonSta said:

If you're used to over-servoed brakes where you touch the pedal and the seatbelt hits your chest the Porsche brakes just aren't like that. They need a decent shove. They stop you pretty well though if they're working properly. Plenty of people go on track with the stock brakes and live to tell the tale. 

Have you inspected both sides of your discs to make sure you don't have a seized caliper? Other than that you could have wear in the master cylinder which is stopping you getting full hydraulic pressure. Or you're a demon braker and ought to be in formula 1....

maybe its this

jumped in my daughters mini one the other day and it felt like that I would be going through the windscreen!

I might youtube de-glazing and give it a go first

edit not yet checked discs - think I'll try and do that next weekend

Edited by Dubdubz

28 minutes ago, andygo said:

Loads of stuff here about the GT3 Master cylinder tweak.

https://www.caymanoc.com/forums/topic/2386-cheap-gt3-master-cylinder/

I absolutely 100% guarantee this will sort you out!

Thanks @andygo, that was useful. Just ordered the GT3 master cylinder for just under £80 and now added to my 2022 to-do-list.

I have found the pedal feel soft on both of my Porsches compared with my TVRs in particular and put it down to the brake hoses. The Porsche brakes work extremely well (not tested for fade on track) but the new and upgraded to braided hoses (goodridge I think) made a lot of difference to the pedal feel. Same on my triumphs before the TVRs as well.