Aftermarket Brake pads - after more bite

Dubdubz

38 minutes ago, Dubdubz said:

actually my internet searching is well below par - cheapest I can find the M1144 is £90?

Not going to try the M1155 ?? Search MDB2417 or MDB1873 depending on S or non-S model.

Edited by ½cwt

15 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

Not going to try the M1155 ?? Search MDB2417 or MDB1873 depending on S or non-S model.

https://www.motorsport-tools.com/mintex-m1144-porsche-boxster-2-7-987-04-06-front-race-brake-pads-mdb1873.html?SID=smsm2511fka7tgh9e1aerbasp7

the MDB1873 seems to come out as 1144 - I think the 1155 will be too Race ? also seems 1155 are MTO [made to order]

https://mintex.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/10/Mintex-Racing-Applications2.pdf

32 minutes ago, Dubdubz said:

There is stock out there if you search.  The MDB  number is the pad shape, you then look for the compound.  1155 is a road/track day/ Group N gravel pad.  I used them full time in my Impreza Turbo for road and track day use.  Good bite and fade resistance but road friendly too, if a bit dusty on your wheels. The race pad is M1166 in that series.

13 hours ago, ½cwt said:

There is stock out there if you search.  The MDB  number is the pad shape, you then look for the compound.  1155 is a road/track day/ Group N gravel pad.  I used them full time in my Impreza Turbo for road and track day use.  Good bite and fade resistance but road friendly too, if a bit dusty on your wheels. The race pad is M1166 in that series.

Thanks, the Kamracing site said 1155 not for road, I do envisage that this won’t be my last set of pads I try 😅

Most uprated pads will say not for the road. The important thing if you want to use them as a daily pad too is to check the specs that the temp range isn't just shifted all the way to the right. What you want broadly is a wider operating temp. You will likely sacrifice some lower temp performance overall.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Dubdubz said:

last q for now 🙂 do the mintex pads 1144 or 1155 come with the wear sensor holes or do I need to do something here too?

No they don't. Just short the wear sensors out and check the pads every now and again. 

The rears *might* have holes for the sensors but the fronts definitely don't

• Thanks 1

If you're using the uprated pads to their potential then the front pad sensors will most likely melt. I melted them on standard pads in the Alps. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/14/2022 at 11:59 AM, ATM said:

There is almost too many choices of brake pad. I'm not sure if it's been mentioned already but disc material can also affect bite. I've got a mushy pedal on one of my P cars so I'm currently switching out the pads for standard brembo and also standard textar discs. I've also got some new fluid and an easy bleeder. Hopefully all this works. These cars should have good bite as standard. 

On my Big BMW I fitted ATE discs and EBC yellow stuff pads. That car has great bite. I know EBC went through some quality control concerns a few years ago but I believe they've come out the other side now. I've had this combo on another BMW and it worked well. 

Sometimes it's better to stick with what you know but I'm still tempted to try new things. Decisions Decisions...

Just tried to buy some EBC yellows and apparently no one has supply of fronts because EBC themselves are out - global supply chain shortages and what not. So what pad is recommended as a good alternative to standard Brembo. Must have unbelievable bite from cold. Not interested in cooking them. Gentle road use only.

Thanks
ATM

1 hour ago, ATM said:

Just tried to buy some EBC yellows and apparently no one has supply of fronts because EBC themselves are out - global supply chain shortages and what not. So what pad is recommended as a good alternative to standard Brembo. Must have unbelievable bite from cold. Not interested in cooking them. Gentle road use only.

Thanks
ATM

Well, I used Textar. OEM but don't come in a Porsche box. (queue "they're not the same friction material as the Porsche ones" etc.) £25 delivered. New discs and pads stop the car better and much smoother than than the ones that passed than last MOT but I'm not going to hoon it around a track or get the discs glowing red. 

1 hour ago, Codfanglers said:

Well, I used Textar. OEM but don't come in a Porsche box. (queue "they're not the same friction material as the Porsche ones" etc.) £25 delivered. New discs and pads stop the car better and much smoother than than the ones that passed than last MOT but I'm not going to hoon it around a track or get the discs glowing red. 

I recently changed some pads from Textar to Brembo and noticed a slight improvement but I also changed discs at the same time so perhaps the improvements were from elsewhere. 

20220130-122038.jpg

20220130-122048.jpg

20220130-122703.jpg

22 minutes ago, ATM said:

I recently changed some pads from Textar to Brembo and noticed a slight improvement but I also changed discs at the same time so perhaps the improvements were from elsewhere. 

20220130-122038.jpg

20220130-122048.jpg

20220130-122703.jpg

That looks about par for the inside of shot discs. My rears were considerably worse. Changing them made a vast improvement in smoothness, feel and no pulsating pedal. 

Can't rememder the last car I owned where I didn't change the discs. My S3 rear discs were shot before they were five years old. I guess I just don't brake hard enough.

4 minutes ago, Codfanglers said:

That looks about par for the inside of shot discs. My rears were considerably worse. Changing them made a vast improvement in smoothness, feel and no pulsating pedal. 

Can't rememder the last car I owned where I didn't change the discs. My S3 rear discs were shot before they were five years old. I guess I just don't brake hard enough.

Every now and again I give mine a proper shove just to keep them honest. 

Going back to the original question, I recently fitted performance friction pads to the front and mintex m1155 to the rear. The stopping power is genuinely incredible (it feels as though you are bending physics when you get on the brakes) and the improvement over more run of the mill performance pads (DS2500, m1144, bluestuff etc) is considerable. 

I'm yet to try them on track but I'll be at Thruxton in a couple of weeks so will update this post after that

38 minutes ago, Tony Daniel said:

@Lennym1984Where did you order the Performance Friction pads from? I'm looking for something better for a 981

I got them from Tech9 Motorsport but I think there are various places selling them. I got quite a good deal because the ones I bought (27s I think) have now been superceded by a new model.

The performance really is impressive though. I haven't yet tried them in the wet but in the dry, it's proper head through the windscreen stuff.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Lennym1984 said:

I got them from Tech9 Motorsport but I think there are various places selling them. I got quite a good deal because the ones I bought (27s I think) have now been superceded by a new model.

The performance really is impressive though. I haven't yet tried them in the wet but in the dry, it's proper head through the windscreen stuff.

and low disc life too.  They are quite aggressive on the cast iron.  Good pads though, used them extensively at PalmerSport to highly tolerant of track day work.

8 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

and low disc life too.  They are quite aggressive on the cast iron.  Good pads though, used them extensively at PalmerSport to highly tolerant of track day work.

The aggressive pads like some of the PFC compounds also have a reputation for embedding the metal filings in your wheels and bodywork. 

2 hours ago, ½cwt said:

Yeah it's a fair point but I guess that's the compromise. At the moment I'm doing as many track miles as I am road miles.

34 minutes ago, Simon said:

Please do not buy the EBC YellowStuff, they are dreadful - you dodged a bullet there.

S

I think EBC are just very inconsistent batch to batch. I had bluestuff and thought they were cr*p but my friend (who matches me well in terms of skill level on track) really liked his. 

7 hours ago, edc said:

The aggressive pads like some of the PFC compounds also have a reputation for embedding the metal filings in your wheels and bodywork. 

So maybe minted 1144 are best 😜for me, not sure I want iron filings everywhere causing rust spots