Aftermarket Brake pads - after more bite

Dubdubz

Bleeding the brakes after fitting can be a bit fiddly as you have to bleed, run the car up the road whilst activating the ABS and then re-bleed. Only takes 30 mins, so no biggie. I think the so called 'problem' is caused by Indies not knowing what to do and blaming the M/C rather than their methodology....

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

just bringing this up to the top again

any recommendations for pads? Just fancy trying a new set... the CL RC5+ ones are maybe beyond the coffers but if they are the nuts then maybe ok to try?

anything mainstream - couple of friends have the yellow stuff and rate them

The likes of the Carbon Lorraine's are a bit more than just a mild upgrade for a commute and weekend cruise. Along similar lines are the Carbotech range. 

If you want mainstream but better than Green stuff yellowstuff then Ferodo and Pagid. 

1 hour ago, Lennym1984 said:

Ferodo DS2500 are a good road pad. They have plenty of bite and aren't noisy. In my experience they aren't super great on track (they overheat and melt) but you'll never get them this hot on the road. 

Thanks Lennym1984, they are not as inexpensive as I had imagined, a quick search looked like 160 as the cheapest? And that was for fronts only…

You only really need the fronts. 

I don't know the type of driving you do but DS2500 should be fine for most on the road. They just about held up for me in places like the Alps. If you're not really experiencing brake fade now on standard then something like the CL RC5 is going to be a waste of money. 

9 hours ago, Dubdubz said:

Thanks Lennym1984, they are not as inexpensive as I had imagined, a quick search looked like 160 as the cheapest? And that was for fronts only…

Have a look on Kamracing... I feel like I paid a little less than that last year. A more budget pad is Mintex M1144. They're not quite as good on the road as the Ferodo (marginally less initial bite) but still pretty decent and about 100 quid. As above they are not great on track (dunno if that was a consideration or not as I haven't read the whole thread) 

25 minutes ago, Lennym1984 said:

Have a look on Kamracing... I feel like I paid a little less than that last year. A more budget pad is Mintex M1144. They're not quite as good on the road as the Ferodo (marginally less initial bite) but still pretty decent and about 100 quid. As above they are not great on track (dunno if that was a consideration or not as I haven't read the whole thread) 

Or still Mintex, their M1155 pad.  Used this as a Group N rally pad on gravel in the past as well as for track day work.  Good bite compared to a standard pad but not as aggressive on discs as a full competition pad.  Also very inexpensive so little to lose by testing them to see if you like.

Edited by ½cwt
  • Thanks 1

There is almost too many choices of brake pad. I'm not sure if it's been mentioned already but disc material can also affect bite. I've got a mushy pedal on one of my P cars so I'm currently switching out the pads for standard brembo and also standard textar discs. I've also got some new fluid and an easy bleeder. Hopefully all this works. These cars should have good bite as standard. 

On my Big BMW I fitted ATE discs and EBC yellow stuff pads. That car has great bite. I know EBC went through some quality control concerns a few years ago but I believe they've come out the other side now. I've had this combo on another BMW and it worked well. 

Sometimes it's better to stick with what you know but I'm still tempted to try new things. Decisions Decisions...

16 hours ago, edc said:

If you're not really experiencing brake fade now on standard then something like the CL RC5 is going to be a waste of money. 

This^^ - I use CL RC5+ all round (986s + mods), they work well on the road and are excellent on track.

Road only and I'd look to other vendors - can't make any recommendations though.

• Like 1

I had CL RC5+ on my Renaultsport Megane 250 Cup. They're brilliant for track. Not so good for normal daily use though. No backing plate so they would clunk as they moved fwd and back in the caliper when you reverse each time. Also, one set fell apart in the winter. They get wet then freeze and the bonding failed. 

OK in the summer but in the winter I used to change them out for oem pads between track use. 10-15 mins per side on the megane. 

thanks All for the replies - this place is pretty epic for just being nice and not all peacocking and argumentative 

going to look at the Mintex I think as a trial - did find some ds2500 for £140 for a front set in the end, but mintex first and gt MC which thanks to my dear friend is now on its way to me from Germany...

• Like 1