Boxster S Race car build

jcbaldock

• 2 weeks later...

2 hours ago, brillomaster said:

that looks mega! Are you reusing the same seats as before?

I'll be keeping one as an easily removable passenger seat.  Might revert it to the black cushions so it matches though.  The drivers seat will be an FIA approved Corbeau, with wings and a 6 point harnesses.  Here's a photo from the test fitment before we started the stripping work...

gzaaq1H.jpg

Just a thought looking at the pictures, you may need to improve the fire stopping for the access panel in the rear bulkhead through to the front of the engine bay.

Looking very purposeful!

Edited by ½cwt

1 hour ago, ½cwt said:

Just a thought looking at the pictures, you may need to improve the fire stopping for the access panel in the rear bulkhead through to the front of the engine bay.

Looking very purposeful!

It'll have a full plumbed in Fire Extinguisher to the latest standards... three extinguishant nozzles in the engine bay and two for the driver/cockpit. 

30 minutes ago, jcbaldock said:

It'll have a full plumbed in Fire Extinguisher to the latest standards... three extinguishant nozzles in the engine bay and two for the driver/cockpit. 

To prevent penetration of a fire/smoke from the engine bay into the cockpit.  I remember having to get into tight spaces in our Sierra Cosworth rally car shell years ago to block all possible holes, the foam gasket on that hatch may not be considered sufficient by a scrutineer when he issues your race log book.  Could be worth a check.

43 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

To prevent penetration of a fire/smoke from the engine bay into the cockpit.  I remember having to get into tight spaces in our Sierra Cosworth rally car shell years ago to block all possible holes, the foam gasket on that hatch may not be considered sufficient by a scrutineer when he issues your race log book.  Could be worth a check.

Good shout - I'll be getting the car checked by a scrutineer before any race events, so I'm sure they'll give me a to-do list!

11 minutes ago, Escy said:

The composite top engine cover can be changed for the 987 aluminium version, it's a couple of kg lighter.

I've got one ready to go on 👍  2Kg Lithium battery too amongst plenty of other weight savings. Will be interesting to see what the weight is when it's all done, especially with all that scaffolding now welded in.  

1 hour ago, ½cwt said:

Standard kerb weight of a 986 S is around 1350kg, so see if what you saved exceeds the extra steel!

I'm hopeful, given how much we've managed to pull out!  It was 1342Kg with the previous half cage, hard top and some quick stripping that had already been done, like the soft top.  I'd like to think we can get well under 1250Kg when it's done, but the scales will tell all!

Not yet... It's definitely hefty, but being built to the MSA Part K standards. There are a few additional bars that are optional, but I'll happily take a weight penalty for a decent cage, having rolled a car while racing a couple of years ago!

Carbon sheet dash panel made for the electrical cutoff and fire extinguisher. Made a custom on/off button for the fan switch as well to keep things neat.  The fan will just be a very simple inline blower, ducted to the existing centre vents. The hole at the top is to route an external bowden cable pull for the electrical isolator.

iOQ2F9B.jpg

Just now, jcbaldock said:

Carbon sheet dash panel made for the electrical cutoff and fire extinguisher. Made a custom on/off button for the fan switch as well to keep things neat.  The fan will just be a very simple inline blower, ducted to the existing centre vents. The hole at the top is to route an external bowden cable pull for the electrical isolator.

iOQ2F9B.jpg

and the heated rear screen switch will be re-purposed for the heated front screen 🙂

Just remember carbon fibre is a conductor, so if you end you with any weird electrical issues check anything fixed to cf is insulated from it.  Found this out on the rally car when the gauges mounted in it didn't work properly.

14 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

Just remember carbon fibre is a conductor, so if you end you with any weird electrical issues check anything fixed to cf is insulated from it.  Found this out on the rally car when the gauges mounted in it didn't work properly.

The only electrical item that will be mounted is the isolator (so pretty important!) but that is fully insulated, so hopefully we'll be fine, but we'll keep an eye on it 👍

• 2 weeks later...

Some more progress...  Lots of the wiring loom chopped out and relays/fuse box being relocated due to the cage being in the way.  GRP door cards, fabric door pulls, lexan side windows with sliders, mini washer bottle, lithium battery.  Tidied up the cut dash with some ABS end plates, which also meant relocating the light switch. Lots of custom bracketry for various fans/bowden cables etc.  Still plenty to do!

wOYcj19.jpg

E3EEABo.jpg

i5ij4kH.jpg

HfT2OVe.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Well it's now a running, driving car again!  Everything is back together, ride height and geometry all set.  I've still got some things to do, like finalising the extinguisher install, but it's almost there.  I've done two track days to shake it down and nothing fell off, so I'm calling that a result!  It's going to take a bit of re-learning now it's a lot more focused.  The weight has come in at 1225kg, so 120Kg dropped from it's previous incarnation, even with all the scaffolding installed.  There's still more that could come out, but for it's initial build and still all steel bodywork, it's a good start.   I'm sure this is now the beginning of a never ending project, but that's half the fun 🙂

V3jfGW7.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1