Boxster for sale on Autotrader

Virglas

Check those wheels are genuine Porsche as lots of copies out there too

9 hours ago, Mattman42 said:

Check the mot advisory’s have been done - coolant pipes are best part of £800 and could need new discs and pads all round - check the backside of the discs as they rot there before the front face

Noticed the advisories related to the breaks….didn’t see anything related to the coolant pipes….did I miss something?

The BRAKES corrode on the inner face especially on the front for some reason but not a expensive job, the parts can be bought for circa £200. That’s a 987.1 not a 987.2 as it’s right on the change over registration. If you can afford it go for a 987.2, it’ll cost you a few thousand more but it’s a much better car with the newer engine and more modern touches inside and out  

32 minutes ago, bandit_287 said:

The BRAKES corrode on the inner face especially on the front for some reason but not a expensive job, the parts can be bought for circa £200. That’s a 987.1 not a 987.2 as it’s right on the change over registration. If you can afford it go for a 987.2, it’ll cost you a few thousand more but it’s a much better car with the newer engine and more modern touches inside and out  

Looking around the adds gen 2 987 is nearly double the price….🤦‍♂️

49 minutes ago, Virglas said:

Any telltale signs without removing them?

The 987 was the era of this style of wheel and was mainly fitted to the 997 turbo.

The ones in the add looks like they have been painted/powder coated which is no bad thing as the OE are diamond cut finish.

There are a set of OE 997 turbo wheels on eBay, compare the profile of the spokes as those on the for sale car looks very prominent in comparison however this might be because of the colour.

other than that it’s checking the wheel part numbers. They may be genuine, if so you need to check they are correct fitment for this car, apparently Porsche did supply these wheels for the Boxster.

sorry can’t be any more helpful than that.

1 hour ago, Virglas said:

Noticed the advisories related to the breaks….didn’t see anything related to the coolant pipes….did I miss something?

The fluid leaks referred to here - it’s where the rubber pipes join the aluminium cross over pipe - the joints corrode and leave and the only way to solve is to replace - not a cheap job and it won’t get better so will need to be done. It can be diy-able if you have the tools/space but can mean dropping the front sub-frame, so I let an expert do it 😁

m4u8a7s.jpg

Edited by Mattman42

Been to see the car. Overall it’s pretty much as described. The wheels look original but have been powder coated. Tyres are new Goodyears all round. Drives well…clutch is nice and light but gear selection is not as positive as it could be..could be a sign that the cables need replacing or adjusting? Bodywork looks straight and paintwork is good although it has had some paint on the offside wing. Interior is nice except for some ware on the drivers side bolster…..no hole yet. All electrics work as they should except AC…could be a re-gas but there is quite a lot of compost around at the base of the condensers. Hood works fine but doesn’t always automatically set in the plastic channels above the doors when closed. Engine sounds tappety on startup but clears when warm….no clonks or rattles from the front or rear when driving so arb droplinks, coffin arms and tension struts appear good. Brakes work fine but discs are shot so will need replacement.  Coolant leak advisory at the last MOT hasn’t been addressed. Inspection of coolant and oil filler caps shows no sign of contamination. All carpets are dry so no signs of water ingress.

7 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

Does it have the options you want? I couldn’t make out the centre dash. Heated seats?

It’s got heated seats and PASM….that’s about it. TBH I’m not very needy in terms of options….what I really want is telephone prep and DAB which wasn’t really available then…

2008 2.7 987.1 at £11k.  Sounds cheap even if it is a bit remote in South Wales.  It is £3k cheaper than anything else with similar mileage and spec in a 2008 car on AT. Got to ask why?

I wouldn't pay 11k for that car. Needs a fair bit of work and apart from PASM and heated seats (which in fact are must haves for me) it's poverty spec. Only way to justify that price is the year and the mileage but tbh if it wants brakes and coolant pipes that doesn't tell me it's been looked after. Condition trumps year/mileage.

Offer him 9k if you want it and if he says no walk away. It won't sell quickly at that price - you can always go back and offer £9100....

On 2/6/2022 at 1:02 PM, iborguk said:

So sounds like there is some wriggle room on pricing. The fact the coolant pipes haven’t been done along with the aircon and brakes doesn’t scream “loved”.

Old Porsches are nothing magical, just an old car with the same faults, wear and age related problems many 15 year old cars will have. People tend to sell cars when they need money spending on them and private sellers will always have a "genuine reason for sale". Accept this and assess what you are taking a punt on befory handing the money over.

If you are handy with the spanners, you could have new discs and pads all round, new coolant pipes, tracking, new condensers, a few aircon pipes and bits with a regas, and still have plenty of change from £1k.

Spend your money wisely, don't get carried away or pay over the odds, a "market correction" won't be far away. I would love a 2011 987.2 Cayman S with all the toys, but would it be "worth" four times what my 2007 2.7 cost?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Codfanglers said:

If you are handy with the spanners, you could have new discs and pads all round, new coolant pipes, tracking, new condensers, a few aircon pipes and bits with a regas, and still have plenty of change from £1k.

...and no knuckles.

4 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

...and no knuckles.

Knuckles shouldn't be in much danger on that lot as long as you have a good breaker bar for the subframe and caliper bolts.