Bike fell on my car

dpg123

Appreciate legal cover has been mentioned a number of times. Does your Macan insurance policy include this? If so, I'd suggest going down this route, but with a different angle, particularly, if the damage to your car is limited to cosmetic, and you can put up with it for a while.

Ring your own insurers and say you'd like to use your legal cover to recover costs from another party - make it clear that you are not claiming off your own policy. Once you're in touch with the legal cover provider, explain what's happened and let them deal with it. You already have video proof, and presumably LIMEs insurer's details (not that this is necessary - that's a problem for your legal cover provider) from the claim form. Explain this to the legal cover provider team and leave it with them.

As has been mentioned, the "act of god" stuff is nonsense. It may not be something that particular (LIME's) insurance deals with, but they (LIME) will have public liability cover or something else that will cover this. There's also a posibility that the scallywag's parents may have some sort of cover that would deal with a situation like this. However, where the money comes from isn't really a concern as long as you aren't out of pocket.

Have been down this route when somebody crashed their car into mine. Approached my car insurance, and used the legal cover to recover costs. Took a while, but they did all the legwork and got my money back. My car only had cosmetic damage, which I lived with for a bit.

• Like 2

Do e-scooters use the same laws as e-bikes ?

as lime-uk.co.uk says 

• "Enforcing driving licence requirements using our GDPR compliant two factor licence authentication technology."

and Tfl says to hire a e-scooter you must be over 18 and have a driving license

https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/electric-scooter-rental-trial#on-this-page-1

On a slightly different note, reading an article about the storms last week , if a tree falls from someone's garden and damages your car, you have to claim off your own car insurance and not the householders buildings insurance

On 2/23/2022 at 2:42 PM, Araf said:

I think I would have taken the bike into safe care until Lime paid for the damage and retrieved the bike. ;) 

As has already been said, these bike hire companies have to be insured in order to work the streets.  If a council has opted for a company without adequate cover to pay for accidental damage (as they appear to be telling you) then their licence should be revoked.

This, or take to skip or river - perhaps try to bench press it and accidentally slip and knock the bike in.

S

On 2/23/2022 at 12:42 PM, dpg123 said:

I have, he seemed initially taken aback and then very defensive. He said claim off my insurance - his son's only 16, has no money and wont pay. As a father he says he has no liability...

15 hours ago, mike597 said:

Things maybe work differently on the mainland to over there. I checked the Lime app and you can connect up google pay (or presumably apple pay if you're an iSheep), a credit card or paypal.  Certainly if you're over 13 you can have a google pay account.  Both my kids (12 + 14) have got bank accounts with cards that can be connected up to google pay and my eldest uses it all the time via her phone as it's a darn sign more secure than carrying cash or a card. 

So it's perfectly reasonable to believe a 16 year old in London will have a means to sign up.

So perfectly reasonable to assume he has money and can pay?

Aren't most payment methods tracked back to a bank account somewhere?

Apologies I'm from N. Ireland and we are hoping to have running water and electrickery later this year :laugh:

14 hours ago, dpg123 said:

Oh no, not at all! No argument here! You make good points!

Thanks, I am conscious you were probably more that a little annoyed.

I really hope you get sorted, and am definitely getting the feeling from you that while the money matters the principle is very much part of your thinking. 

9 minutes ago, Simon said:

This, or take to skip or river - perhaps try to bench press it and accidentally slip and knock the bike in.

S

As the last hirer surely you are responsible?

Is it really possible to hire an expensive bike, abandon it, it subsequently gets written off and the hire company just shrug their shoulders 🤔 

Is there not some form of holding deposit, if not Seamus, Murphy, Paddy and myself are in the van and off to London.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, EXY said:

So perfectly reasonable to assume he has money and can pay?

Aren't most payment methods tracked back to a bank account somewhere?

Apologies I'm from N. Ireland and we are hoping to have running water and electrickery later this year :laugh:

Thanks, I am conscious you were probably more that a little annoyed.

I really hope you get sorted, and am definitely getting the feeling from you that while the money matters the principle is very much part of your thinking. 

EXY, I'm originally from Legacurry, Co Down! I visit several times a year still as my parents still live there. They recently discovered that the "big fire in sky" is actually the sun and that it's not going to kill them. 

I think I'm getting somewhere with the Council in Wandsworth. I've been in touch with the Senior Transport Planner and there is actually a relationship between LIME and local authorities where they operate. LIME are supposed to have Public Liability Insurance for situations such as this. I get the feeling that the council are highly unimpressed with LIME's conduct so far. The council are in direct communication with LIME's UK Public Affairs Manager - let's see.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, dpg123 said:

I think I'm getting somewhere with the Council in Wandsworth. I've been in touch with the Senior Transport Planner and there is actually a relationship between LIME and local authorities where they operate. LIME are supposed to have Public Liability Insurance for situations such as this. I get the feeling that the council are highly unimpressed with LIME's conduct so far. The council are in direct communication with LIME's UK Public Affairs Manager - let's see.

That sounds promising mate, you should definitely be able to claim from their public liability insurance.  Failing that, you could also try suing them via the Small Claims Court.  I think it costs about 80 quid to start that process, and you won't need to pay any more, regardless of the outcome.  You've got plenty of evidence to back up your claim, so I reckon you will get a result in the end.  Good luck anyway.

36 minutes ago, dpg123 said:

The council are in direct communication with LIME's UK Public Affairs Manager

Sounds like the best result you could get so far. The council license them and the Public Affairs dept usually want to keep everyone happy.  👍

I'll be writing to the Telegraph, Times, Guardian, Metro, Evening Standard, Daily Mail, Sun...whoever will listen, should I not have this fixed. I keep thinking "what if this was my parents" or someone without the skills / knowledge to research and fight this. It's not about the money, it's totally about the principal.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, dpg123 said:

I'll be writing to the Telegraph, Times, Guardian, Metro, Evening Standard, Daily Mail, Sun...whoever will listen, should I not have this fixed. I keep thinking "what if this was my parents" or someone without the skills / knowledge to research and fight this. It's not about the money, it's totally about the principal.

I wouldn't bother bringing the media into it.  Whilst all on here know that ordinary, hard-working people (and @John K ) can afford a Porsche, I wouldn't mind betting that the story would get written up as you being a self-entitled egotist,  trying to screw a local council service provider.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Araf said:

I wouldn't bother bringing the media into it.  Whilst all on here know that ordinary, hard-working people (and @John K ) can afford a Porsche, I wouldn't mind betting that the story would get written up as you being a self-entitled egotist,  trying to screw a local council service provider.

I agree that's how it might be written, but who says the make of car needs to be advised? The story is more about dock-less bikes becoming an unsightly, damaging and dangerous reality on our streets and those that own them acting irresponsibly and potentially illegally. If you want to take the green option, there are plenty of alternatives which are run in a much more community friendly manner - Santander Bikes for example, which involve picking up from and returning to a bike dock.

2 hours ago, dpg123 said:

EXY, I'm originally from Legacurry, Co Down! I visit several times a year still as my parents still live there. They recently discovered that the "big fire in sky" is actually the sun and that it's not going to kill them. 

LoL, small world I'm about 18 miles NE from Legacurry :)

Pleased to hear you are making headway.

1 hour ago, dpg123 said:

I agree that's how it might be written, but who says the make of car needs to be advised? 

:lol: Oh, you are naive.

How many times do you see "Porsche driver caught speeding" when the type of car has nothing to do with the offence?

39 minutes ago, Araf said:

:lol: Oh, you are naive.

How many times do you see "Porsche driver caught speeding" when the type of car has nothing to do with the offence?

Ha, I agree with you. And "John, who lives in a £350,000 house, was attacked by a cat last night", as if it's in any way relevant. But I'd need to volunteer the info in this case...

On 2/25/2022 at 3:25 PM, EXY said:

LoL, small world I'm about 18 miles NE from Legacurry :)

Pleased to hear you are making headway.

I lived not too far away from the age of 11 until almost 20, and this is the first time Ive ever heard of the place. 😄

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Bradders59 said:

I lived not too far away from the age of 11 until almost 20, and this is the first time Ive ever heard of the place. 😄

I had heard of it but couldn't place it so Googled it and it turns out I bought a Celica near there 37 years ago :laugh:

On 2/27/2022 at 12:26 PM, Bradders59 said:

It's literally a school and a collection of houses (and lots of Unionists).

• Haha 1

So, my journey towards a resolution has come to an end. I can neither confirm nor deny that the costs have been covered, and not by the 16yo. 

If anyone else ever has the misfortune to have this happen to them, happy to explain the process...

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, dpg123 said:

So, my journey towards a resolution has come to an end. I can neither confirm nor deny that the costs have been covered, and not by the 16yo. 

If anyone else ever has the misfortune to have this happen to them, happy to explain the process...

It would be useful to know? Lime insurance? Or did you buy an angle grinder lol 

21 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

Sounds like the payment was made conditional on non-disclosure, don't push him too hard.

...or at least, not in public.

I couldn't possibly disclose whether this is the case or not...

• Haha 3

• 1 year later...

Hi DPG123,

Something very similar has just happened to me; I’m based in Ealing and would be very grateful for the chance to discuss. I’ve just submitted my claim form to Lime but, based on all I’ve read online, I’m not expecting an initially helpful response (although I know the borough is relatively hostile to dockless bikes, at least in my area, and so Lime may be more circumspect). I also do not want to let this lie, and have enough experience to dig my heels in if they are unreasonable. 
Is there a good way to contact you privately?

Thanks