Condensation

Withy

On 3/7/2022 at 1:21 PM, ATM said:

I doubt they're perished.  They just stay wet for ages.  You'll need some serious heat to dry them out and you wont get that in the door at this time of the year.  I've started using a little half cover on mine.  I'm hoping the inside is as dry as your boner.

20220307-132034.jpg

What makes you think his boner is wet 🤔 

On 3/7/2022 at 3:21 PM, alank said:

Second the use of a half cover, just got a new one £18, the other lasted 2 years , and was 100% waterproof. For the price it is a 2 yr disposable item. Brilliant!!

Where did you pick it up?

On 3/7/2022 at 3:21 PM, alank said:

Second the use of a half cover, just got a new one £18, the other lasted 2 years , and was 100% waterproof. For the price it is a 2 yr disposable item. Brilliant!!

If it is going to be fitted for longer periods of time you'd really want a breathable cover, particularly if the rood is not fully dry when it is fitted.  Spend a bit more to look after a £1000+ hood on a £15+k car.....

Edited by ½cwt

I Never fit the cover to a wet top, and it is not really on for extended periods, coz i use the car.  Just when a load of rain ,or Bird Cr#p is forcast. I bought an expensive cover from Custom Covers at first, took about half hour to fit and then came off if i breathed on it, so that went back and the " Cheap", fully waterproof, fabric lined one has worked perfectly for the last 2 yrs, only just got another as the first one was looking a bit dirty, but still waterproof. I realise the cost of replacing these roofs  iro £3000 i believe on the £35K car, but i do fabsil it, and generally try to look after it. My main bug bare is the ugly crease lines , which cant be helped i suppose.

Mine was quite condensated lasr night but clear this morning, so may have been the weather conditions?
I checked the drains & they were all clear, although the front ones were quite mucky. On my rear drains there seems to be one at the top, but the water runs down into the spoiler & out the bottom. All ran clear when water poured down. Originally I thought one of these was the drain but they're both solid

https://imgur.com/YsIIqrVYsIIqrV.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, alank said:

I realise the cost of replacing these roofs  iro £3000 i believe on the £35K car, but i do fabsil it, and generally try to look after it. My main bug bare is the ugly crease lines , which cant be helped i suppose.

I've often pondered getting the roof remade in a different better material.  Surely the world has come up with better stuff.  Years ago people got their classics a mohiar roof right?

Some bad reviews on that cheap cover on amazon if it's this one https://www.amazon.co.uk/MP-Essentials-Waterproof-Breathable-Protection/dp/B01MZ21V14/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=sumex%2Bcar%2Bcover&qid=1647373651&sr=8-3&th=1 @kharma45  but if @alank has used it for 2 years can't be all that bad and worth a punt.  Trombone cleaner coming tomorrow so will check drains then, and then see what's what.  Condensation seems to have subsided tbh, maybe weather conditions are all that is to blame (but will check thoroughly)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, alank said:

when using these trombone cleaner thingys   can you see them come out the bottom on a 981?, so you know the drain is clear.

Definitely not on the two that sit in the bowl either side that you access with the roof partially closed/open as they are hockey stick shaped. 

13 hours ago, Withy said:

Some bad reviews on that cheap cover on amazon if it's this one https://www.amazon.co.uk/MP-Essentials-Waterproof-Breathable-Protection/dp/B01MZ21V14/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=sumex%2Bcar%2Bcover&qid=1647373651&sr=8-3&th=1 @kharma45  but if @alank has used it for 2 years can't be all that bad and worth a punt.  Trombone cleaner coming tomorrow so will check drains then, and then see what's what.  Condensation seems to have subsided tbh, maybe weather conditions are all that is to blame (but will check thoroughly)

I'd have just thought that 10s of thousands of car was worth more than a £20 half cover...  A good breathable one is less than £200, has microfibre lining where it contacts the paint work and fits the Porsche shape properly taking less than a minute to fit and even less to take off and should last the lifetime of the car.  3½ years and mine looks like new and performed very well in the recent storms.

Look at it like tyres, do you fit the cheapest possible tyres of the size for your expensive sports car or do you at least think about Michelin but may be go Goodyear, Dunlop etc... but certainly not ditch finders?

Why pay 200 when 20 will do. Its waterproof, it covers, I'm not bothered about how it looks, its just functional, But everyone to their own. Agree tyres are important, but i'm not risking a horrible death fitting a cheap cover😃

• Haha 1

Bad Karma, just had a call from wife, Apparantly the Sahara desert has dumped itself on my car, nice red coating , and yes, i did not have my cheap cover on. So out with the vaccum and carpet cleaner when i get in. Had enough cover talk.....................

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, alank said:

Bad Karma, just had a call from wife, Apparantly the Sahara desert has dumped itself on my car, nice red coating , and yes, i did not have my cheap cover on. So out with the vaccum and carpet cleaner when i get in. Had enough cover talk.....................

Was in south east London today and a whole beach of sand fell on the cars parked outside.  Have seen similar a few times before but this seemed particularly heavy. 

Out of interest does anyone get condensation on their rear screen?  My 981 is under a full car cover and I normally find the windscreen condensation free but the rear mists up.  Drain holes look fine and no wet carpets.  And also with the wind deflector in place it's difficult to get to the rear screen when the hood is up!  Cheers

23 minutes ago, hl8354 said:

Out of interest does anyone get condensation on their rear screen?  My 981 is under a full car cover and I normally find the windscreen condensation free but the rear mists up.  Drain holes look fine and no wet carpets.  And also with the wind deflector in place it's difficult to get to the rear screen when the hood is up!  Cheers

MIne is 987, but I do get rear screen condensation that can be difficult to shift. The only solution I've found is to really dry it off every time it appears and this will reduce it considerably. I think it's due to the moisture getting trapped in that area due to poor air flow. I also take the wind deflector off in winter and store it behind the passenger seat as it's very easy to clip back on if you get the roof down.

On 3/17/2022 at 4:31 PM, BBB said:

MIne is 987, but I do get rear screen condensation that can be difficult to shift. The only solution I've found is to really dry it off every time it appears and this will reduce it considerably. I think it's due to the moisture getting trapped in that area due to poor air flow. I also take the wind deflector off in winter and store it behind the passenger seat as it's very easy to clip back on if you get the roof down.

Thanks BBB - think I will also order some moisture absorbing packs and place them around the cabin.  I've had a couple of other convertibles in the past and don't remember this being an issue though. 

• Like 1

On 3/15/2022 at 1:32 PM, ATM said:

I've often pondered getting the roof remade in a different better material.  Surely the world has come up with better stuff.  Years ago people got their classics a mohiar roof right?

No reply to this yet I am still pondering...

If the better covers are made of better material then surely if we had a new roof made of this very same material it should be better than the standard roof, right?

19 hours ago, ATM said:

No reply to this yet I am still pondering...

If the better covers are made of better material then surely if we had a new roof made of this very same material it should be better than the standard roof, right?

The Mohair roofs of old were typically to replace the PVC jobbies from the likes of Triumph & MG etc.  Mohair is naturally more flexible and less susceptible to being cracked when cold.  My new TR4a hood didn't like being folded in anything less than 20 degrees.

The modern Porsche hoods I think are a far superior outer material plus they're lined from what I can see.  Should your Porsche hood be past it, then you have no option although I'd think modern replacements must be at least as good as the OEM or they'd not sell?

ATM you are talking about your 986 not 981?

981 has some panel in the top.

Early 986 had thinner roofs, something about an extra lining in the 987 roof. Aftermarket replacements like BAS, Carhood have that lining. Not sure about the outer material.

14 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

Early 986 had thinner roofs, something about an extra lining in the 987 roof. Aftermarket replacements like BAS, Carhood have that lining. Not sure about the outer material.

Got a little tear in my 986 roof and the plastic window looks F'ed.  Cant decide  if should switch to a gen 2 with glass or stick to original gen 1 with plastic window.  I'm curious what a red roof might look like.  Not sure if Porsche made a red roof for the 986 but I have seen a pic of a black car with red so I know it is possible.  Assuming it is therefore after market.

15 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

Various 986 with red roof, I believe as you say aftermarket. I don't understand why people want a plastic rear window, but some do.

I dont want a plastic window but the rear end looks totally different with the later roof with the extra folding bar or whatever it is.  I prefer the shape of the plastic window roof.

4 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

The liner came as standard with the S version, can't find out if it also was standard or still an option on the 2.7 from 2000 as well.