Condensation

Withy

I know that this has been covered a few times - is there any general guidance if there is condensation in the cabin - front windscreen specifically.  I see nothing wrong with drain holes, and the carpets are bone dry.  I have a couple of the silica gel bag things too, but still if the car is left there is a fair amount of condensation which needs dried off.  I've also noticed that when the windows are down, then up there is some moisture there too (on the outside of the drivers window, and on the inside of the passenger window).  Any guidance on if window seals/door seals can perish over time?  It's a late 2014 

If you have 2-zone air conditioning you can make a number of adjustments through the "Vehicle Settings" menus. For instance,  air flow set for "soft", the extended vent panels activated, and auto air-recirculation deactivated. This may make a difference? Can be found in the good to know app.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Withy said:

I've also noticed that when the windows are down, then up there is some moisture there too (on the outside of the drivers window, and on the inside of the passenger window).  Any guidance on if window seals/door seals can perish over time?  It's a late 2014 

I doubt they're perished.  They just stay wet for ages.  You'll need some serious heat to dry them out and you wont get that in the door at this time of the year.  I've started using a little half cover on mine.  I'm hoping the inside is as dry as your boner.

20220307-132034.jpg

Edited by ATM
Added pic
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Withy said:

I know that this has been covered a few times - is there any general guidance if there is condensation in the cabin - front windscreen specifically.  I see nothing wrong with drain holes, and the carpets are bone dry.  I have a couple of the silica gel bag things too, but still if the car is left there is a fair amount of condensation which needs dried off.  I've also noticed that when the windows are down, then up there is some moisture there too (on the outside of the drivers window, and on the inside of the passenger window).  Any guidance on if window seals/door seals can perish over time?  It's a late 2014 

Hi @Withy I guess you’ve read the other posts. My experience with a 981S was really bad windscreen / and side window condensation (especially on the screen) way more than previous Boxsters.

I also couldn’t feel wet carpets - but one of the rear drain tubes had blocked / dislodged (ones that run down from the either side of the roll hoop).

They can dislodge block / way lower than you can see.

The area under my (dry to touch) carpets was very wet - the control units, even though they are mounted higher in the 981 were swimming. Everything still functioned (weirdly) wasn’t until it was dried out it all failed 😂.

If you can get down to the actual floor under the seat - through the cut out in the carpet etc - have a feel, hopefully it’s not that. 

Some experienced damp on the seat belt - felt if you fully unwound them when the rear drains failed.

Think @Stuart21UK had similar.

• Like 1

As has been said pull up the carpet behind the seats and check the foam itself isn't wet.

If the car lives outside then a half cover is a good investment although I would go for a breathable one for long term use to stop condensation build up under it.

No affiliation but these guys do a premium, breathable cover (I bought one 2nd hand) and they currently have a 30% off sale https://cabrioshield.com/uk/porsche-boxster-981-premium.html

Edited by iborguk
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Andy Mac said:

Hi @Withy I guess you’ve read the other posts. My experience with a 981S was really bad windscreen / and side window condensation (especially on the screen) way more than previous Boxsters.

I also couldn’t feel wet carpets - but one of the rear drain tubes had blocked / dislodged (ones that run down from the either side of the roll hoop).

They can dislodge block / way lower than you can see.

The area under my (dry to touch) carpets was very wet - the control units, even though they are mounted higher in the 981 were swimming. Everything still functioned (weirdly) wasn’t until it was dried out it all failed 😂.

If you can get down to the actual floor under the seat - through the cut out in the carpet etc - have a feel, hopefully it’s not that. 

Some experienced damp on the seat belt - felt if you fully unwound them when the rear drains failed.

Think @Stuart21UK had similar.

Yeah, I read all these posts about drain holes as I had exactly this on my 981S, not under warranty, and very expensive to get sorted :(

I'll check the drain holes thoroughly this week, including @daz05 YT guidance.  

Carpets completely dry, but will take others advice and take them up and do all the right things.

Top tip on the Dual Zone climate stuff from @Ringer250 too.  every little helps!  I do have a full cover, but maybe a 1/2 cover is less cumbersome.  Alternatively, maybe this is the trigger to clear out the sh1t-t1p that. is my garage and actually use of for what it's intended for!

• Like 1

@Withycheck the drain holes, clean your door seals and get some product on them.

A bit more effort but consider removing the rear arch liners and side skirts and clean those drains while you are at it.

It's warming up now so you are probably through the worst of it to be fair.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stuart21UK said:

I had condensation once, bought a 1kg 'suck up moisture' bag thing and it was fine afterwards, not actually got it in the car at all at present and it's still fine so no idea what caused it

Sorry @Stuart21UK I thought you’d also had the drain tube failure / wet interior.

4 hours ago, iborguk said:

As has been said pull up the carpet behind the seats and check the foam itself isn't wet.

If the car lives outside then a half cover is a good investment although I would go for a breathable one for long term use to stop condensation build up under it.

No affiliation but these guys do a premium, breathable cover (I bought one 2nd hand) and they currently have a 30% off sale https://cabrioshield.com/uk/porsche-boxster-981-premium.html

+1 on these.  Has been protecting my 986 for 3 years now and is still like new.

What do you lads do with the cover when you're using the car?

I don't want to put it in the house obviously. And I don't have a garage. I have flung it over the fence panel but just wandering if there is a better idea.

Also do they ever need cleaning?

I have a nice high level shelf inside the front door where it lives when not on the car.  Cleaning wise, much like the hood, but remember it doesn't pick up road dirt, salt mud etc.  Water still beads and runs nicely after 3 years of use. occasion bird cr*p needs dealing with.

On 3/7/2022 at 1:21 PM, ATM said:

I doubt they're perished.  They just stay wet for ages.  You'll need some serious heat to dry them out and you wont get that in the door at this time of the year.  I've started using a little half cover on mine.  I'm hoping the inside is as dry as your boner.

20220307-132034.jpg

Interesting as I always put the cover over my wiper blades!

6 minutes ago, GTSMarky said:

Interesting as I always put the cover over my wiper blades!

The fitting instructions that came with mine said to use the wiper blades to hold the front of the cover down, i.e. blades over cover.

And mine comes indoors and drapes over a sofa in a room we don't use as much, so it can dry out fully (my wife tolerates such behaviour without comment).

Edited by BBB

1 hour ago, BBB said:

The fitting instructions that came with mine said to use the wiper blades to hold the front of the cover down, i.e. blades over cover.

And mine comes indoors and drapes over a sofa in a room we don't use as much, so it can dry out fully (my wife tolerates such behaviour without comment).

:worship: