Yawn l know but my crossover pipes replacing yes or no

Muddy

Hi,

know it’s been covered but 2nd opinion please. Have been told by my indie these need replacing ASAP, phoned around and one indie said if they not leaking and your not doing huge distance than hang on or maybe you could get away with just replacing 2. Best price so far which seems good £875 ( they do not lower sub frame) all in or up to £1150. One indie said pop in and we have a look and suggest to fix or not.

Thoughts please only that same indie 3 years ago said replace ASAP.

cheers Muddy

4851E209-D4C8-4E38-8926-FE703F4E0269.jpeg

14CD2989-9415-4128-AC59-486CB9B9DA2E.jpeg

They look pretty much like mine. My indie didn't reckon it was urgent and just put some waxoyl  on the joints and i have since repeated the treatment myself (from a spray can it goes on like a foam which supposedly works its way into the joints). I'm figuring that I'll leave it until there's a definite, obvious leak and then I'll do it myself.  

• 2 weeks later...

Guess there are many perhaps needs be just in case jobs. My pipes were picked up 3 years ago as a red to replace and still not failed. Think l need to ignore some of what my indie suggest even though it’s correct although they did list on my recent major service smelly cabin only to find one of those plastic  fish filled sushi sauce leaking  in my glove box. 

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Muddy said:

£448 seems very reasonable (from indie) cheapest quote for subframe drop £1150 includes geometry where are you maybe worth the petrol 

I’d also be interested in who quoted this price, there seems to be huge variance in prices quoted for this job.

On my to do list, I’ve already got most of the hoses but not the actual cross over pipes, just wondering when / who I’m going to entrust the work to.

I did this DIY. 
it is a pig of a job and justifies the labour pay out. Parts were about 350.
they’re so badly corroded they need to be wrestled out with long nose pliers. 
it’ll need doing eventually - might as well bite the bullet. 

As others have said they will not get better. If not leaking then waxoyl, AC50 or Dinitrol (my favourite) copiously applied will keep further corrosion at bay. For how long depends how much salty road driving you do.

Had 997 before and lower ones went - local garage I trust checked and the top ones were in much better condition. lower offside was weeping - replaced nearside as well as looked iffy - £180 labour £80 parts. Then all got a full treatment of Dinitrol whilst on the ramps with wheels off. Sold car two years later all checked out ok. Told buyer which bits were replaced.

It is normally the lower pipes that go first.

Regards

Glen

On 3/22/2022 at 2:04 PM, Patrick1964 said:

£488 sounds like either parts or labour, not both. I've just had mine done.

I've just had the work done. The total cost was £488 inc. vat, roughly half labour, half parts. They confirmed it was 6 pipes replaced.

1 hour ago, minimoog said:

I've just had the work done. The total cost was £488 inc. vat, roughly half labour, half parts. They confirmed it was 6 pipes replaced.

Where? Post the details, they could become very popular very quickly at that price!

Got mine booked in with an Indy next month.

Taxed it & used it yesterday, although I’m not noticeably losing any coolant, there is a white powdery substance around the clip on the top hose which suggests to me that there is a weep. It’s only going to get worse so may as well bite the bullet & at least then I won’t have to worry about it.

Also going to have a preventative water pump change at the same time, it’s done 85k on the original pump & it makes sense to have it changed at the same time when the coolant is drained.

One thing I haven’t decided on yet though is whether to swap the thermostat at the same time for a low temp one, anyone got any thoughts on this?

Cheers.

• 4 weeks later...

I should have added that I asked them to look at the water pump as I had been advised by another Porsche indy that it needed seeing to. These guys said it was fine and doesn't need to be replaced preventatively as the cam is chain rather than belt driven - in their words 'you know when it'll need changing because of the noise in your left ear'.

The Indy said that it 'shouldn't be driven with the water pump about to let go', my local garage said it was fine and I had more trust in them. This was 5 years ago.

Can't comment on whether those need to be done or not but I'd be a little wary of anywhere which offers a fixed price on the work. You won't know until you have taken it apart how much needs to be replaced as some areas of rust can't be seen with the undertrays on and some pipes don't come off cleanly and are damaged in the process. 

Before I did the job I discussed it with my OPC (cheapest place for parts) and they said it was always a difficult job to sell to customers as the cost was so variable. Having done it I can see why. (For reference, I bought every part that could possibly have been needed on the basis that I could return anything I didn't use. As it was I needed the whole lot so was very glad that I had done this.)

On 4/4/2022 at 9:45 PM, Boxstercol said:

One thing I haven’t decided on yet though is whether to swap the thermostat at the same time for a low temp one, anyone got any thoughts on this?

if you haven't done yet, my thoughts are if it's only an extra 50 quid as you're taking the pump off already, why not. While it's debatable if it helps, I don't think it really hinders. I think it's preferred for the 3.4 - is yours 3.4 or 3.2?

On 4/4/2022 at 9:45 PM, Boxstercol said:

Got mine booked in with an Indy next month.

Taxed it & used it yesterday, although I’m not noticeably losing any coolant, there is a white powdery substance around the clip on the top hose which suggests to me that there is a weep. It’s only going to get worse so may as well bite the bullet & at least then I won’t have to worry about it.

Also going to have a preventative water pump change at the same time, it’s done 85k on the original pump & it makes sense to have it changed at the same time when the coolant is drained.

Cheers.

I changed my thermostat a few months ago I was thinking of going for the low temp stat but after lots of googling the message I got was that it might be a good idea on 911 cars but no point on Boxsters so on balance and for MOT emissions testing I decided to fit a standard thermostat