Rear spoiler - does it do anything?

Angus76

20 minutes ago, Angus76 said:

I think it raises at 71mph or near that. And of course it can be deployed by pressing that button. But does it actually do anything? 
Boxster 987.1 S 

Yes, it alerts the police to the fact that you're exceeding the speed limit. Also, it looks cool.

• Haha 2

It is exactly that, a spoiler to disrupt the airflow that would otherwise create lift or imbalance in yaw (turning) that a smooth tail would cause.

yeah on my 986 i can't find the button to raise or lower the spoiler, and since i can't see it while i'm driving, i'd never seen the spoiler in the raised position.

however, after doing a trackday i do now have a photograph of the car with the spoiler up, so it does work!

4 minutes ago, brillomaster said:

yeah on my 986 i can't find the button to raise or lower the spoiler, .....

Switch in the fuse box cover by your right foot on a 986...  Wouldn't recommend trying to use it when driving.

Edited by ½cwt
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, ½cwt said:

It is exactly that, a spoiler to disrupt the airflow that would otherwise create lift or imbalance in yaw (turning) that a smooth tail would cause.

So, in real life, the answer is no, it doesn't do anything (but it does look cool) :lol:

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, brillomaster said:

i dunno... the turn in speed for turn one at Snetterton is about 85mph, i want all the rear end stability i can get!

Ah yes mate, that's why I said "in real life", meaning "on normal roads, at normal cornering speeds" where the limit of the car is not even close to being exploited.  I doubt my spoiler has ever been raised since I bought the car last year, as I'm a good boy and never go over the speed limit... :lol:

8 minutes ago, Davey P said:

Ah yes mate, that's why I said "in real life", meaning "on normal roads, at normal cornering speeds" where the limit of the car is not even close to being exploited.  I doubt my spoiler has ever been raised since I bought the car last year, as I'm a good boy and never go over the speed limit... :lol:

I can confirm the spoiler on your last car raises. In real life it needs to work to access the screws to get the bumper off.

1 hour ago, Davey P said:

If you never exceed 75 mph you probably haven't tried fifth & sixth gears either. Thankfully these cars look fast even when they're parked, regardless of spoiler position.

From  Service Information Technik 986, 987 differences 

In  the rear area, the flared wheel housings, the retractable spoiler and rear end have all been optimized. Like the front, the radii of the rear side sections have been designed to produce an aerodynamically efficient air flow at the rear wheels and the rear end, which improves resistance and reduces lift at the rear axle.
The increased extension height of the retractable spoiler ensures that the spoiler functions at the optimum aerodynamic operating point and that the desired rear axle lift is attained with the optimum resistance advantage.
The redesigned air inlet in the rear quarter panel takes up the graceful geometric lines of the Carrera GT. The positioning and the opening cross section of the air inlet have been carefully optimized to ensure the maximum possible increase in air flow rate combined with the minimum possible effects on lift and resistance. This way, it has been possible to improve the flow of air through the engine compartment, to lower the temperature in the engine compartment and to optimize the intake of combustion air.

Service Information Technik

Edited by kevin450

7 hours ago, Angus76 said:

I think it raises at 71mph or near that. And of course it can be deployed by pressing that button. But does it actually do anything? 

Boxster 987.1 S 

👍

From  Service Information Technik 986, 987 differences 

In  the rear area, the flared wheel housings, the retractable spoiler and rear end have all been optimized. Like the front, the radii of the rear side sections have been designed to produce an aerodynamically efficient air flow at the rear wheels and the rear end, which improves resistance and reduces lift at the rear axle.
The increased extension height of the retractable spoiler ensures that the spoiler functions at the optimum aerodynamic operating point and that the desired rear axle lift is attained with the optimum resistance advantage.
The redesigned air inlet in the rear quarter panel takes up the graceful geometric lines of the Carrera GT. The positioning and the opening cross section of the air inlet have been carefully optimized to ensure the maximum possible increase in air flow rate combined with the minimum possible effects on lift and resistance. This way, it has been possible to improve the flow of air through the engine compartment, to lower the temperature in the engine compartment and to optimize the intake of combustion air.

3 hours ago, kevin450 said:

From  Service Information Technik 986, 987 differences 

Paraphrase,

The spoiler goes higher but produces less drag than the 986 whilst still reducing lift.