Coolant hose replacement

mvagusta1

My 987.2 2.9 has coolant leak from rubber hose I have been quoted £1250 for complete hose replacement subframe off  from a Indy I am in Hampshire willing to travel to get it done any one had it done recently at more like £800 mark thanks 

3 hours ago, mvagusta1 said:

My 987.2 2.9 has coolant leak from rubber hose I have been quoted £1250 for complete hose replacement subframe off  from a Indy I am in Hampshire willing to travel to get it done any one had it done recently at more like £800 mark thanks 

Haven't had it done myself but I would give Marque 21 in Bridport (Dorset)and Cotswold Porsche a call to check prices. I (and many other Dorset Porsche owners) can highly recommend the former whilst the latter is used by many on here and is also highly recommended.

See also recent thread (there are more if you search)Yawn l know but my crossover pipes replacing yes or no

6 minutes ago, red rocket said:

Haven't had it done myself but I would give Marque 21 in Bridport (Dorset)and Cotswold Porsche a call to check prices. I (and many other Dorset Porsche owners) can highly recommend the former whilst the latter is used by many on here and is also highly recommended.

See also recent thread (there are more if you search)Yawn l know but my crossover pipes replacing yes or no

Thanks just trying to find out if Brookspeeds quote is in the ball park at £1200 have heard people have had it done for £800 trying to find out where looks like I will be phoning around a few places Tomorrow 

3 minutes ago, Hainesy said:

I had mine done recently at AMS Porsche in Herts for approx £1k. That was a subframe drop and 4 wheel alignment afterwards.

Strangely AMS did mine,for £800 or so,and didn’t do an alignment-at least no mention of it in the receipt -I assumed they didn’t drop the subframe!!

4 minutes ago, And.rs1800 said:

Strangely AMS did mine,for £800 or so,and didn’t do an alignment-at least no mention of it in the receipt -I assumed they didn’t drop the subframe!!

They replaced some worn gaiters on the steering rack as well so maybe it was link to that work?

42 minutes ago, Muddy said:

Interesting that some indie will do the work without a subframe drop for a cheaper price but others need to drop subframe for the same job don’t understand why if the result is a 

I've had mine done, no subframe dropping...no wheel alignment....

From teh DIY write ups, you can lower the subframe on the bolts without dropping it completely to get access.  If the bolts remain in place nothing can move more than the clearance between the subframe holes and the bolts which is likely less than 1mm.

I’ve done it both ways , easier with subframe lowered .If I was to do it again I would in some long studs and lower the frame down on the nuts, which would give more access and maintain the frame position.

3 hours ago, red rocket said:

For anyone who hasn't seen it here's an excellent video on how to DIY this. Also good for understanding the general lay out.

Thanks, that is really cool. My indy like to charge a premium on parts so I'll use the part numbers off here and order from OPC at trade cost via work. My front ones are seeping ever so slightly so will need doing soon

I diy'ed this recently, on a 987.2.  Bought all the parts below in green off local OPC, total £404.   If can do without the plastic distributor pipes (parts 8,9) that saves a lot as these were £65 + VAT each (inc 10% discount).  Needed 8, returned 9 for refund.

I dropped the front of the subframe, just loosening the rear two bolts, after marking with pen alignment marks around the bolts.

On reassembly, nothing had moved relative to those marks, so figured no realignment necessary.

I opened the system at part 28 - did not touch the engine coolant plug or engine filling cap.  Caught about 5 or 6 litres in all.  For refill I splashed out on a vacuum-refill kit from Draper. (same cost as that returned distributor pipe) 

QuXQTRT.gif

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Got mine booked into an Indy next month to be changed.

Have had to top the coolant up very slightly over the last 12 months / 3000 miles. There’s a slight bit of white crystallisation around the front passenger hose where it joins the aluminium coolant pipe which I’m thinking is the source of the leak.

Strange thing is that sometimes when I check the coolant level, it’s actually above a marker I placed on the coolant tank, even when the car has been stood a few days. Really can’t explain it & wondering whether I should wait until it’s more obvious where the leak is, if there is one.

• 1 month later...

I'm doing this job as DIY right now on a 987.1 
This car is new to me but it's apparant that the leak has been going on for sometime and the previous owner just ignored it.

As a result most of the joints won't even separate and my parts bill is currently just over £500.
I dropped the whole subframe to make the job easier to do and also to tackle the ARB bushes.

IMG_20220615_172203

I think some of the price vairance seen in the previous posts is explained by what parts need replacing and how long the pipe/s have been leaking.  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, gillbe said:

as a result most of the joints won't even separate...  SNAP!  a feature of the car rather than poor ownership I would say

Yeah but it makes me feel a bit better cursing the old owner under my breath whilst I work on the trying to free the pesky joints 😂

1 minute ago, SpeedyGee said:

Yeah but it makes me feel a bit better cursing the old owner under my breath whilst I work on the trying to free the pesky joints 😂

Hat off to you for taking that on, I hope you get satisfaction in sorting that once done.👍

• Like 1

IMG_20220617_182819

This is how one of the rubber pipes was removed from the plastic section.

Although the rubber hose has come out, I'm not confident that cleaning the plastic part will still yield a water tight connection when a new rubber hose is pushed in, so I've order the two big plastic parts at a £100 each 😬

4 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

I don't remember any here, they always seem to be "gradual deterioration" rather than catastrophic failure.  Wonder if any featured on other fora.

What has been reported is an increasing rate of coolant loss rather than sudden failure.