981 owners - Where do you keep your phone...?

Davey P

I know you mentioned you didn't prefer a vent mount but I, like yourself, had tried the magnetic route but my iphone 12 falls off most of the time.  I use 2x magnetic vent mounts in my daily and it does the job (YOSH) but the small 981 vents don't cater for this option.

In the end I got one of these which has actually been very reliable and looks semi discrete (mega cheap too): 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lamicall-Phone-Holder-Universal-Mount/dp/B07GQGX855/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=lamicall+car+phone+holder&qid=1657044280&sprefix=lamacall+car%2Caps%2C103&sr=8-3

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, hl8354 said:

I know you mentioned you didn't prefer a vent mount but I, like yourself, had tried the magnetic route but my iphone 12 falls off most of the time.  I use 2x magnetic vent mounts in my daily and it does the job (YOSH) but the small 981 vents don't cater for this option.

In the end I got one of these which has actually been very reliable and looks semi discrete (mega cheap too): 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lamicall-Phone-Holder-Universal-Mount/dp/B07GQGX855/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=lamicall+car+phone+holder&qid=1657044280&sprefix=lamacall+car%2Caps%2C103&sr=8-3

Cheers for the suggestion, I've never seen an air vent type with 2 fixings like that, and the quality looks good as well. But I don't want the air vent to be covered, so I will stick with my temporary windscreen mounted version for now :thumbsup_anim:

• Like 1

Just a quick note to acknowledge some decent customer service (which is quite unusual these days...).  I got a full refund from Mous, and an email to say there is no need to return the windscreen mount. How cool is that?

I'm tempted to try and fix the YOSH magnetic part to the Mous holder.... Watch this space :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well, I have finally managed to sort this out, by fitting the YOSH magnetic part onto the Mous holder :thumbsup_still:

I started by dismantling the swivelling head of the Mous holder, which gave me these parts:

20220708_174804

Then I removed the metal part of the air vent clip from the YOSH, leaving a few mm of the rubber base, so I could glue it in place.  Then I drilled a hole through the back plate of the Mous large enough to fit the remaining part of the YOSH, and used a hot glue gun to stick the YOSH to the Mous (not pretty, but effective :lol:):

20220708_183646

I binned the ring of magnets from the original, to save a bit of weight, and refitted the two parts of the holder together, so now it looks like this:

20220709_094432

Fitted to the car, it looks like this:

20220709_095501

I'm really pleased with it now.  The phone fits above the air vent, not in front of it, and can be positioned against the A-pillar so it's not distracting.  I've fitted two rectangular metal plates between the phone and it's cover, so there is some adjustment if required.

Next up, I need to sort out a more elegant way to route the charging cable, but I'll need to buy a longer one before I can do that...

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, map said:

@Davey P - glad this worked out for you. Could you have purchased a Mous case that was compatible with your phone and the holder?

No mate, I've got a Samsung A50 and they don't do a case to fit that model.  I am clearly living in the dark ages... :lol:

47 minutes ago, Davey P said:

No mate, I've got a Samsung A50 and they don't do a case to fit that model.  I am clearly living in the dark ages... :lol:

Nice, glad you found something which worked for you 👍

Next stop stereo integration 🤭

Screenshot 2022-07-09 at 17.33.57

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, iborguk said:

Nice, glad you found something which worked for you 👍

Next stop stereo integration 🤭

Screenshot 2022-07-09 at 17.33.57

Ha ha, excellent! :lol:

Now all I need is a 2m long USB C charging cable that hasn't got horrendous reviews on t'internet for being rubbish Chinese cr*p quality - Surely it can't be that hard to find something decent...?

8 minutes ago, Davey P said:

Ha ha, excellent! :lol:

Now all I need is a 2m long USB C charging cable that hasn't got horrendous reviews on t'internet for being rubbish Chinese cr*p quality - Surely it can't be that hard to find something decent...?

USB to USB-C ?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Anker-PowerLine-Durability-Devices-Including/dp/B01M5GMZ6X/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1QE3ZBW2O0O8T&keywords=usb+to+usb+c+2m&qid=1657385787&sprefix=usb+to+usb+c+2m%2Caps%2C93&sr=8-3

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, iborguk said:

Mixed reviews on that one, but I've ordered it anyway - because you told me to, and I trust your judgement! :lol:

I've got Amazon Prime, so it will be delivered tomorrow, get in! :thumbsup_still:

50 minutes ago, Davey P said:

Mixed reviews on that one, but I've ordered it anyway - because you told me to, and I trust your judgement! :lol:

I've got Amazon Prime, so it will be delivered tomorrow, get in! :thumbsup_still:

Normally find their gear pretty solid and obviously I’ll blame your roof if it’s in anyway sketchy. 😉🤣

• Haha 1

Anker charging cable arrived, and fitted to the car :thumbsup_still:

It wasn't quite long enough for what I wanted to do, I had planned to plug it into the power socket in the centre console instead of the glove box, but I didn't bother measuring how long it needed to be (Doh!).  Never mind, it's good enough anyway.

I routed the cable from the A-pillar and down the instrument panel, tucked neatly under the rubber seal where the door shuts.

20220711_153418

Then it goes along under the steering column trim panels (fixed in place with sticky velcro strips) and in behind the stereo. Finally it goes into the glove box, and plugs into a 2-way USB connector:

20220711_153516

It's all a bit crude at the moment, and no doubt I will fiddle around a bit more at some stage to get it neater, but the car interior was boiling and I just wanted to get it sorted ASAP.

Incidentally, when I needed to route the cable behind the stereo, I used my old Trombone cleaner springy thingy left over from my days as a Boxster driving nancy boy - I knew I'd find a use for it one day! :lol:  I slipped it through the gap at the glovebox end, then taped the charging cable to it, and pulled them both back through.  Hopefully the stereo will still work now...... (not that I listen to it).

9 minutes ago, Davey P said:

Anker charging cable arrived, and fitted to the car :thumbsup_still:

It wasn't quite long enough for what I wanted to do, I had planned to plug it into the power socket in the centre console instead of the glove box, but I didn't bother measuring how long it needed to be (Doh!).  Never mind, it's good enough anyway.

I routed the cable from the A-pillar and down the instrument panel, tucked neatly under the rubber seal where the door shuts.

20220711_153418

Then it goes along under the steering column trim panels (fixed in place with sticky velcro strips) and in behind the stereo. Finally it goes into the glove box, and plugs into a 2-way USB connector:

20220711_153516

It's all a bit crude at the moment, and no doubt I will fiddle around a bit more at some stage to get it neater, but the car interior was boiling and I just wanted to get it sorted ASAP.

Incidentally, when I needed to route the cable behind the stereo, I used my old Trombone cleaner springy thingy left over from my days as a Boxster driving nancy boy - I knew I'd find a use for it one day! :lol:  I slipped it through the gap at the glovebox end, then taped the charging cable to it, and pulled them both back through.  Hopefully the stereo will still work now...... (not that I listen to it).

Nice 👍 

4 minutes ago, iborguk said:

Nice 👍 

Thanks for the suggestion mate, it looks decent quality - and for only a few quid more than the usual Chinese cr*p ones that seem to be everywhere on t'internet :thumbsup_still:

• Like 1

On 7/4/2022 at 4:32 PM, Davey P said:

As a temporary measure (which might turn into a permanent measure...) I've ditched the magnetic option and installed a spring loaded windscreen mount that I already had in a previous car.  It holds the phone firmly, and as far as I can remember it stays fixed to the windscreen without any issues:

20220704_160414

Well, the inevitable happened, and the magnetic option didn't work.  Turns out, sticking the magnet onto the screen mount with a hot glue gun doesn't work, and the boiling hot car interior was enough to melt the glue... who knew? :lol:  So I've admitted defeat, and it's back to plan B for now with the non-magnetic holder (which actually works fine, so I'm not too bothered now)

3 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

Just scrape (heat!) off the glue and use an epoxy like Araldite?

Cheers for the suggestion mate :thumbsup_still: 

I've given up for now, but I think what it really needs is a couple of small screws from inside to holder to go through into the back of the magnetic part, to stop it pulling away.  However, it's too bloomin' hot to be fannying about with it at the moment, so I've put this one on the back burner for now... :lol:

12 minutes ago, Davey P said:

Cheers for the suggestion mate :thumbsup_still: 

I've given up for now, but I think what it really needs is a couple of small screws from inside to holder to go through into the back of the magnetic part, to stop it pulling away.  However, it's too bloomin' hot to be fannying about with it at the moment, so I've put this one on the back burner for now... :lol:

Possibly the one time you have a roof advantage fella 😁, if you turn the aircon on.

Edited by iborguk
  • Thanks 1

OK, one last try for this one before I finally give up... :lol:

I've opened the magnetic base and put 4 screws inside, so it's firmly fixed to the base plate:

20220720_115515

It looks a bit crude, but with the other half screwed in place it can't been seen, so I'm not bothered about that.

Now I have a nice neat phone holder which (hopefully) won't fall apart this time.....

20220720_120420

The charging cable runs down behind the instrument panel, then behind the steering column, through the rear of the centre console, and into the USB socket inside the glove box.

Hopefully this is now finally finished... :thumbsup_still:

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Well, after 4 months, I still haven't found a solution I'm happy with, so it's time to revive this thread with another trial... The magnetic options don't seem to hold the phone firmly enough, and the windscreen suckers tend to fall off, so I've ordered one of these from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0797PRW8K/ref=pe_27063361_485629781_TE_item

6102BBA6veL._AC_SX569_.jpg

I know I'd said previously I didn't want an air vent type holder, but all of the variations I've tried so far hold the phone too high up in my eyeline, so I thought I'd give this one a go and see if it's any better.  I know the quality should be good, because my other magnetic one was a Yosh.  I'm hoping this might be my final solution... I'll find out tomorrow anyway.